ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Default New (returning after 6 years) to ADR!! S1-L5 Issues argh!

Hello all, I am a long time spinal / back pain (dare I say) sufferer. Sounds sort of victim (ish)

11 years ago I was in a horrific car accident in which I was hit at a very high rate of speed. I flipped end over end and then rolled side to side over and over. Not all that dramatic but that was what happened. I virtually walked away from it, no blood, not a scratch but have had SEVERE Back Pain and problems ever since that night.

Started with a discectomy, why o why did I do that....
So many injections that I cannot tell you...
Rhizo.
Nerve root blocks used to work. Laminectomy last September 2008

Still, L5-S1 pain pain pain.
It is right beneath my beltline, to BOTH sides of the spine.
If you were to press with your thumbs (in 'that' spot) It would drop me and I would be in bed for a day or two.

Every time I 'do' get back to work, it lasts about 6 mos. all for me to fall back out again in pain and disability to get back up and work normally. (Desk job)

I went to the doc, a new one....UGH not ANOTHER one,
and he suggested a medial branch block DIAG test.
It hurt SO DANG BAD where he pushed with his thumbs that I did not really get results because I was still CRYING from him pushing 30 LBS pressure after he injected.

After the Laminectomy, the EMG and the MRI really show no new problems. The MRI states some scar tissue and some artho but nothing as serious as BEFORE that surgery
The EMG states everything is normal, uhm, ok -
But last EMG was terrible. Can the Laminectomy resolve that issue? Hmmmm

I AM HAPPY TO BE HERE!
I have been here before and Love love love learning more and I have found that by being 'with' you all, We teach each other
Thanks for allowing me to be here and see you around!

Last edited by Harrison; 02-24-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Edited font size and color
Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome, Lammie...

Gosh, quite a story. Glad you survived! Geez.

When you can, please add a signature to your profile. This will help us better understand your spinal condition and general situation. And speaking of that, where are you in terms of arranging your next steps? Do you have a spine doc that you trust and like?

Sorry you are back, but we are here to help.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 PM

Hey,

Just thought I'd give you my 2 cents

I call myself a Back Pain Manager. Yeah we do suffer A LOT but at the same time our bodies teach us how to manage the pain. In the process we have to re-learn what we can and cannot do. Kinda like setting new boundaries aka cutting back most activities and waaay back on SLEEPY TIME.

I'm sorry you are having to go down this road again. I hope you find some well needed answers from our fellow back managers.

Take Care,
Liz
L3-4 Lrg herniation R leg pain, L leg numbness sometimes they switch it up. weakness both, tingling
L4-5 DDD w/sml herniation,loss height.
Injections
Discogram Pos L4-5
IDET L4-5 / PT
1st EMG pos.
Current MRI, X-Ray not much changed
2nd EMG Pos
12/08 possible 2 level ProDisc ADR
08-current Lost 75lbs
More PT/ Acupuncture.Currently PT @ home 3-4xs a wk. Light cardio using elliptical
2 level ADR on 4/20 been a bumpy road.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Thanks.......

Thanks for the welcoming. I appreciate that. I am working on a signature that can help explain. In terms of growing / learning and 'accepting' this is not a new injury it happened 11 yrs ago. I will say as I write this, as a man, and the need to work etc, I still know the truth limits are hard to see. Basically the brain lies to the back the back tells the truth. In bed, laying down is about all I do for now.

Car Accident 8/1998
S1/L5 Disc compression (DDD)
Foramen Stenosis
LBP just under belt line. Both side Lft / RtSome very intermittant burning on left outside calf and foot

Discogram revealed the above.
Micro D, IDET no positive results.
Several Injections / Diag and Thera
EMG negative results left leg latent

Physical Therapy, Work Hardening, Massage
Therapy, any kind of Therapy, no results positive
Old 02-25-2010, 06:44 PM

I am sorry I should have spent more time thinking before answering that post. I may need a little help learning 'where' I can post a signature at the bottom of my posts.

In terms of where I am in the next steps and if I like my docs.
I am discouraged because I was so much better and have not hurt this bad in the past 3-4 yrs. Seems I have gone backwards again. I do have a doctor and no I do not trust him. The guy did a medial branch and killed me when he leaned into my back with more than 30 Lbs pressure, he stated that was normal to see if the numbing took affect however, I have had over 50 injections over 10 yrs and no one has ever "leaned' into my spine like that. It crippled me for 3 days and when I brought it back up he took great offense to that.
Next steps, I am not sure, with LNI in the picture they will want me to get a doctor and quick the problem is I am so injured right now I am sitting still, I do need to locate another doc QUICK.

"That" and I am trying to decide if I can 'put my boots back on' and get myself back to work while the claim is open etc...I want to work it is just that I am not sure I can even be away from the house 3 hours a day let alone work. Thanks for your thoughts and questions. Means a lot to me
Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Question

"... I have had over 50 injections over 10 yrs and no one has ever "leaned' into my spine like that. It crippled me for 3 days and when I brought it back up he took great offense to that..."

I almost don't know what to say, other than gasping, "Fifty injections?" And the leaning into the spine with this force sounds unusual, and maybe a first on this forum. Just an observation, not a commentary.

Liz, nice post. You've shared some wisdom that spine patients can appreciate. Hopefully, their families will read these insights too!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate