ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 PM

Default M6-C Stem Cell Treatment

I am still looking at the potential benefits of stem cell treatments to further my healing after M6-C surgery. Particularly for the torn ligaments in my shoulders and my neck injuries. Anyone else had stem cell treatments? Where? Good or bad outcome?

Thanks,

I injured three disc in my neck with a fractured vertebra and compression on C-5 that caused severe pain, numbness and weakness in both arms and legs.

After a lot of research, I had a successful M6-C Total Artificial Disc Replacement on C-5-6 as part of a clinical trial, to stabilize my neck and improve my health. So far I am doing well and feeling better every day.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:41 AM

I had a stem cell procedure on July 11th for chronic pain and it has definitely worked. My girlfriend had the stem cells injected in her knee in May for torn ligaments and she is now walking with no problems. Well worth the $$ we spent. We did it here in Colorado at the Stem Cell Institute with Dr. Kenneth Pettine.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 09-12-2014, 10:49 AM

I'd investigate prolotherapy before jumping to bone marrow stem cell injections. More or less, prolotherapy would be the generic term for the treatment technique and stem cells are one of the injectants used. Many people, me included, respond very well to less aggressive injectants like platelet rich plasma and the stem cell injections would be wasted additional money. If you do go down the path of prolo, go with someone very well known as there's a whole lot of snake oil salesmen out there in the regenerative medicine world. The two we've really liked for years are Docere Clinic in Park City, UT and Caring Medical outside of Chicago. Caring Medical, Dr. Hauser's clinic, is probably one of the best known for this kind of treatment.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 09-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Default Thanks for the great ideas.

Thanks so much for the great ideas I will check into them. Therapies like these give me hope for improved techniques and better healing.

I injured three disc in my neck with a fractured vertebra and compression on C-5 that caused severe pain, numbness and weakness in both arms and legs.

After a lot of research, I had a successful M6-C Total Artificial Disc Replacement on C-5-6 as part of a clinical trial, to stabilize my neck and improve my health. So far I am doing well and feeling better every day.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:49 PM

You may have read about how the Prodisc-C tends to have too much mobility. Laura's been treating that problem with prolotherapy, primarily PRP and not bone marrow stem cells, so we know it helps. There's always the question of degree of benefit vs. cost of treatment but that's tends to be very individualistic as it will depend on how well you respond to the treatment.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 09-14-2014, 09:05 PM

Default Pre-Op

Thank you for sharing, you are so knowledgeable. I have a lot to learn about these issues.

I passed my bone density test with flying colors, on to Pre-Op tomorrow and surgery on Wednesday to get the M6-C TDR at C-5-6. I hope it relieves the pressure on my spine so I can get better use of my arms and hands with less pain.

I am a little concerned about experiencing the swallowing problems several people have discussed on here. I also worry that my spine and nerves will have some long term damage but hopefully all will go well for me.
Prayers and good thoughts appreciated on Wednesday.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Sending prayers and positive energy for your surgery on Wednesday Mimi.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 PM

Default Recovering from surgery

I am at the one week mark of surgery and I wanted to thank everyone for the well wishes and let you know that my C5-6 M6 Total Disc Replacement with Dr. Musante in NC went well. Hopefully I will just keep feeling better every day.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:27 AM

Mimi, that's great news. Congratulations on a successful surgery and recovery. Good luck!
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 09-25-2014, 08:55 AM

Mimi, congratulations. You have joined the ranks of those who are on the other side of ADR surgery. For most, they are so happy that they decided to proceed. They are doing well and tend to improve over time. Even after we plateau, a little while later we are able to achieve an enhanced level of activity and even more comfort.

For me, I sometimes think back just a couple of weeks and notice that some weakness or discomfort has disappeared. As I don't evaluate every few days, this is a normal situation. And I am not quite 4 months post-op. The early days of frustration when progress was not "fast enough" has evolved to more than just relief but great satisfaction. You too will notice not only the immediate relief but gradual improvement in so many areas.

This group will have to remind me again if I ever feel anxious or cannot do the things I used to do when I was 20.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.