ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:23 PM

Default Bokes

I am not a doctor, but the midline and anterior part of your disc still look fairly good, I would consider a partial micro discectomy. My husband had one and a coworker and they are both doing great!
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 03-04-2020, 03:54 AM

Cheryl I believe a micro discectomy is done when one has nerve compression from a herniation or bulge. I dont have that, instead I have annular tears which cause discogenic pain & frequent back spasms.
I did find a youtube clip about 'Transforaminal Discectomy' that is used for disc tears, but my doc said he thinks it's way too dangerous using lasers around nerves.
I'm fed up with how poorly natural discs heal, if I'm going to take any risks, it will be for an ADR.
Considering ADR in hope of being more active.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:29 AM

Default True

That is how I feel about radio frequency ablation. The risk of permanent nerve damage and scar tissue
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 03-05-2020, 03:44 AM

Talking Quality of Life

bokes; Your already going in the right direction looking at Euro doctors. Regardless of pain levels do you want to live the rest of your life with the quality of life you have now or take and chance (any surgery involves some risk) with a Euro who has done probably a few thousand ADR implants not only vastly improving your quality of life and actually getting your LIFE BACK , research it and GO FOR IT!
Old 03-08-2020, 12:53 AM

Default disc

bokes ;
"The other option i'm considering is a Transforaminal Discectomy" , you mean a microdiscetomy? Thanks .
Old 03-08-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverc View Post
bokes ;
"The other option i'm considering is a Transforaminal Discectomy" , you mean a microdiscetomy? Thanks .
@beaverc:
Above I should have called it 'Transforaminal Endoscopy'.
Im not an expert but I think T.E. is like a swiss-army tool for surgeons. It's a hollow needle with a bunch of gizmos at the tip, like a camera (so the surgeon can watch on TV), a light, a laser, a vacuum, and a rinse feature.
I believe when the surgeon uses the laser on this tool to remove herniated disc material, it's called 'Transforaminal Discectomy'. That's my understanding, feel free anyone to correct me on this.
I think a microdiscectomy is the old-school method of treating herniations, using more traditional tools.
My reason for mentioning this above, I saw one surgeon on youtube using the laser to cauterize the nerves on an annular tear, which is similar to the IDET I had done 20 years ago, which was partially successful.
But I'm no longer considering this tho, as my doc said it's too risky for too little benefit, & I trust his judgment.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:53 AM

Thumbs up Adr?

bokes ; I agree with annapurna's comment 100%

"There have been posters here who sought surgery due to a quality of life question when their pain wasn't serious. They didn't all regret it. Personally, I'd suggest investigating surgery now, while your pain is manageable, and learning what you need to know to balance how you see risks and how you'd make your decision".

I have seen spectacular results here with Lumbar ADR done in Europe. Actually I think the answer is quite simple start consulting / research (euro) and DO IT. Unfortunately I don't believe I would be confident with any US doctors to do a 2-level ADR no matter what ANYBODY says. Good luck with the research / consults.......................
Old 03-12-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
bokes ; I agree with annapurna's comment 100%
"There have been posters here who sought surgery due to a quality of life question when their pain wasn't serious. They didn't all regret it. Personally, I'd suggest investigating surgery now, while your pain is manageable, and learning what you need to know to balance how you see risks and how you'd make your decision".
I have seen spectacular results here with Lumbar ADR done in Europe. Actually I think the answer is quite simple start consulting / research (euro) and DO IT. Unfortunately I don't believe I would be confident with any US doctors to do a 2-level ADR no matter what ANYBODY says. Good luck with the research / consults.......................
I'm doing what annapurna suggested, researching surgeons, complications other people have had, and if there any safeguards or technologies around the corner to help prevent the same from happening to me.
I'm quite certain I will have it done in Europe in a year or 2.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:30 AM

Default Discs

bokes
"My reason for mentioning this above, I saw one surgeon on youtube using the laser to cauterize the nerves on an annular tear, which is similar to the IDET I had done 20 years ago, which was partially successful.
But I'm no longer considering this tho, as my doc said it's too risky for too little benefit, & I trust his judgment".
Has anyone mentioned a procedure to you called "radio frequency ablation" , it's for pain reduction. It uses radio waves (you could probably say heat) to I guess you would say to "burn" specific nerves causing pain. Efficacy / duration of pain relief / side effects I don't know. I haven't heard it used much on this forum.

What discs have you considered , have you researched the LP-ESP?
Old 03-16-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
bokes
"
Has anyone mentioned a procedure to you called "radio frequency ablation" , it's for pain reduction. It uses radio waves (you could probably say heat) to I guess you would say to "burn" specific nerves causing pain. Efficacy / duration of pain relief / side effects I don't know. I haven't heard it used much on this forum.
What discs have you considered , have you researched the LP-ESP?
beaverc: thanks for the suggestion about RFA, I'll keep it in mind, but for now i'd rather get ADR or just leave my back alone. My bad discs have already had one 'burning' related procedure (IDET). I feel like "been there, tried that". Plus natural discs heal glacially slow, and I've already lost an enormous amount of life due to back pain, I'm excited about the prospect of having a brand new back.
Given the technology we're at now, Im only interested in the ESP & perhaps the Axiomed Freedom, but who knows when they'll be available again.