ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM

Default new here, c5c6 ddd m6-c next week

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, and live in the UK. I have had neck problems for years after a rugby accident. I have a c5c6 disc prolapse and osteophytes. I am on a lot of meds and had botox for my muscle spasm 3 times and one cervical epidural. The NHS turned me down for a disc replacement as I don't meet their criteria. I'm now looking at the M6-c and going to Germany to see Dr. Bierstedt. I have read a few posts and just wondering how people felt about their own experiences with him and the M6-c? Is there anyone in the UK who has been or had any experience with the m6 implant?
Thanks
Having M6-C spinal kinetics implant on the 7th November with Dr Bierstedt in Germany.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM

Soreneck,

Condolences on you issues, but welcome aboard.

Dr Bierstedt wasn't my surgeon, but I've never seen an uncomplimentary word spoken of him. As you can see, his patients on this site to the man all go on about how wonderful he is.

The M6-C seems to be commonly implanted in England. Chris Dare in Hampshire has a number of patients on this site; all with good outcomes. I have two M6-C's that turn four years old next month, and I wouldn't trade for them.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Soreneck,
Sorry you have to join our club. As JSS suggested, have you contacted Chris Dare? I will be 16 weeks post-op from a 3 level lumbar with Dr. Bierstedt tomorrow. If you search thru my posts you should get a good ideal of my experience with Dr. Bierstedt, all good! Please feel to contact me if you want to ask me any specific questions.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Hi Soreneck,

I know that your surgery is coming up in another week and I'm sure you are experiencing those same feelings of "what am I doing?" You really are putting your faith in someone you haven't met and basing your decision upon some internet research and our forum. Your feelings are justified. I felt this way and started second guessing my decision because my symptoms subsided - but only to reappear the day before surgery (good timing).
I can assure you that once you meet with Dr. Bierstedt...those feelings will subside. In most cases, patients may only meet with their surgeon briefly and their diagnosis and treatment plan is based upon the diagnostic reports.
I have NEVER done so much research about surgeons and surgical methods in my life. I've always proceeded on blind faith and trust that the US medical methods were the most progressive - I learned that I had to be my own advocate - which I think is a great life lesson in any important decision. My experience with Dr. Bierstedt was extremely positive, comfortable, and I felt that he addressed every issue I had (even if it was lame) with professionalism. I did not feel "pushed" into an unnecessary procedure.....my symptoms did that for me. My surgery was successful up to the point where I am (6 weeks post-op). I'm actually learning how to move again. I have mobility and flexibility and my muscles are waking up again - this was the only pain I have encountered since the surgery - but it is a good one.

I'm not sure if you will find a specific patient from the UK (you might be able to get some references through Malte), but you certainly can read a number of past patients on this site.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 AM

Default Hello all, I'm new here looking for answer

I have two disc's that are giving me much grief and are as useful as a bald tire. I am now disabling pain, so I feel I've waited as long as I can for surgery. Now I am being laid off from work while on disability. My sympathy to all those losing insurance and disabled.

My problem began 20 years ago and I'm disappointed at the state of affairs regarding ADR's in the USA. I was expecting something like the M6 to be in use in the USA by now.

Since the rest of the world is busy implanting M6 disc's, there are many other doctors that are less expensive than some big names practicing in Germany?

Of course I want nothing but the best, but if I could get it more affordably since I am living off of my emergency fund.

This wonderful ADR blog site is huge and vast.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:34 PM

hi TPatti

Im really pleased to be heading off to Germany in a few days, I looked through your post and a few other members to get a feel for Dr Biersedt. I will login in a few days when I get to Germany and keep everyone up to date.
thanks
Having M6-C spinal kinetics implant on the 7th November with Dr Bierstedt in Germany.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:47 PM

Soreneck,
I'll keep you in my thoughts. You are in good hands! If you have any questions while you are there, lay of the land, tips on where to eat, or just a little extra support, feel free to reach out to me. Keep us posted.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Default Operation schedule

soreneck and I will be having our op on the same day with Dr Beirdstedt. I leave Australia tomorrow, and am really looking forward to it. Hope to keep the forum posted on the progress.

For those new comers thinking about surgery and curious on possible time frames of the process. (P.S I am going on my own with no support person due to short notice).

The Schedule for me at this point for 2 level ADR (and removal of spurs/osteophytes) is:

5th Nov - 1 day in the hotel Bergedick,
6th Nov - See the Doctor the next day and get admitted to the hospital.
7th Nov - Operation.
8th - 12th Nov - Hospital stay
12th - 19th Nov - Medicos
Then home (all going well and of course the Doctor will review what is to be done once he is inside the crime scene )
C5/6 - disc markedly degenerate w very prominent left paracentral/foraminal component, producing mod-to-high grade stenosis right C6nerve root exit foramen + early facet joint degen. Some deformity & indentation on cord.
C6/7 advanced disc osteophyic complex, effaces anterior CSF space and posteriorly displaces the cord. Mod-to-high grade stenosis of both C7 nerve root exit foramina. Facet joints - minor degeneration.
2 LEVEL ADR Surgery performed by Dr. Bierdstedt - NOV 7th 2013
Old 11-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Default For Jen 93312

For Jen 93312
Thanks for your nice personal message sent to me. I tried to reply but your inbox is full! Could you empty a few and I will resend .
C5/6 - disc markedly degenerate w very prominent left paracentral/foraminal component, producing mod-to-high grade stenosis right C6nerve root exit foramen + early facet joint degen. Some deformity & indentation on cord.
C6/7 advanced disc osteophyic complex, effaces anterior CSF space and posteriorly displaces the cord. Mod-to-high grade stenosis of both C7 nerve root exit foramina. Facet joints - minor degeneration.
2 LEVEL ADR Surgery performed by Dr. Bierdstedt - NOV 7th 2013
Old 11-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Soreneck-I'm really excited for you to finally get some relief. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
C5 ruptured
C6 Bulge
7/2011 epidural that caused a "fragment to present itself"
10/2011 C5-C6 Foraminotomy & removal of fragment
Positive for left-sided Hoffman's reflex
Effacement of anterior spinal artery