ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM

Mike, you can look on LDRs website (the producer of mobi-c) for all the information on the mobi-c...studies, FDA approvals etc. the three big positives of the mobi-c are bone sparing because there are no keels which need to be fitted inside the vertebral body, motion preserving just like pro disc and other ADRs, facet protection because it is designed to not allow over extension.

Within the studies, the main objectives are proving mobi-c over fusion, and I don't recall them mentioning any comparison between other ADRs. I also don't recall the long term evidence of one level. I know the results of the studies for two levels concluded at 2 years.

My surgeon will not use any other dis besides the mobi-c. He likes the design better and from his standpoint it is so user friendly during surgery it makes proper placement a breeze. He would choose mobi-c if it were him, so would all his assistants that I had a chance to ask.

This doesn't mean that pro disc is bad. It may mean that mobi-c is better. If you are having another surgeon besides Bae perform the surgery I would ask him. Your surgeon has to be comfortable with the product.

Again I would recommend that you check with your insurance if they cover mobi-c. There may not be a fight for it like you are suggesting.

I hope this helps!
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015
Old 01-13-2015, 02:53 PM

I am three months post op with a multi-level Mobi-C. I don't really know if the Mobi-C is any better than the Pro disc but I can tell you that I have gotten my life back since my surgery. Do I still have pain, yes. Is it like before, No. Do I have more mobility in my neck than presurgery. You bet. I can now turn my head both left and right and up and down with no limitations.

Good luck on your decision. Talk to your surgeon and ask him all of your questions. They are the experts and don't mind answering your questions. If your surgeon does have an issue than I suggest you find a new one.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 01-13-2015, 07:25 PM

Thanks, everyone! Bae is very comfortable with the Prodisc he just prefers Mobi-C. I'll push for Mobi-C if I can but I'm going forward either way. Just got my date: FEBRUARY 24TH!!! Nervous but also excited. This has been a long time coming.

Colorado B: how much pain were you having before? Nerve damage you think? Pain in your arms etc? My pain is mostly limited to just my neck and upper traps. It's not completely debilitating (although it has been) but it's extremely uncomfortable 24/7 - I really hope this changes that.

THANKS!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Disky, most patients needing surgical intervention of cervical DDD do well with fusion or ADR. The wild cards are the cause of the problem (a biggie), the degree of bone removal (as with keels), the patient's health (co-morbidities) and the post-op care (especially the admin. of NSAIDs).

PS: Many years ago, I had all kinds of literature on the Mobi C, ProDisc, Active L et al and now I can't find it easily. I'll look again. If anyone has new or old PDF docs on any artificial discs, pls send them to me. Thanks.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-14-2015, 02:16 AM

IMO the amount of bone work done prior to insertion of a ProDisc is major. In my follow up back in the US there was a Bryan cervical ADR. Neck ADRs are so small! When the doc walked out I picked up the Bryan, it was inserted between two fake vertebrae. I twisted that son bitch around real good, did a full Exorcist 360 head spin with it! Heh. Held up real nice. I was impressed.

I did the same thing with the M6Ls in Spain.

Both seem pretty tough, but then again they are going deep inside you for let's hope a long time.

ProDisc keel very scary, to me, an observer.

Also I have seen nasty images postop of facet fractures with them. That is NOT insignificant pain!

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:38 AM

Mike, when I talked to Dr. Lauryssen, he did say he prefers the M6 over the Prodisc, but that he could do the the Prodisc in USA because it has FDA approval, while he'll have to do the M6 in Switzerland (until it gets FDA approval) though he would have been able to use the M6 as part of the trial if I had only 1 damaged level.
As for my surgery, I am waiting for the spinal cord to heal from an injury sustained from a nerve root block last February, and doing MRI's every few months to determine when the cord has healed and if I am fit for surgery!
Wishing you the best on 2/24,
Dema
, little effect on pain
Considering surgery (typical questions, which type & which surgeon!)
Old 01-14-2015, 10:49 AM

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01609374
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 01-14-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Disky, most patients needing surgical intervention of cervical DDD do well with fusion or ADR. The wild cards are the cause of the problem (a biggie), the degree of bone removal (as with keels),
Thanks, Harrison! I really appreciate you starting this site! Ive seen a couple of responses now as it relates to bone removal and keels. I'm just a little unsure how this is a wildcard exactly. Do some people need more bone removal than others and this somehow effects the outcome? THANKS!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
As for my surgery, I am waiting for the spinal cord to heal from an injury sustained from a nerve root block last February, and doing MRI's every few months to determine when the cord has healed and if I am fit for surgery!
Wishing you the best on 2/24,
Dema
Ouch, Dema! So I assume someone made a big mistake there? Glad you're OK and it hopefully won't have any long-term effects. So are you going to Switzerland then? The more I read about ProDisc the more I'm wishing I could get Bae to put in this Mobi-C. I'm gonna have to look into this more. THANKS!
Old 01-14-2015, 12:24 PM

Also, what are people hearing, or perhaps you have your own experiences as it relates to heterotopic ossification (spontaneous fusion??) with ADRs. I had two Neuros say that the studies show they can fuse themselves and here's an alarming set of studies below:

The predisposing factors for the heterotopic ossification after cer... - PubMed - NCBI

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23286683

Anyone have any insight on this? Also, what might be the complicating factors of this besides range of motion loss? Does pain return when this happens?