ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:12 AM

Hello all,

We have been given a date for surgery of March 9th at Bogen with Dr. Bertagnoli (2 level ADR c5-c7) . Thank you Richard and everyone else on this forum for your help.

I have a couple of questions for anyone who has gone through this process.

1. I recieved a list of several hotels in the area. Can anyone personally recomend one over the others?
2. For those of you who have had a cervical procedure; what would you consider the minimum time post-op before returning home? We would not mind staying for a while except for the fact that we have a 7-yr. old we will be leaving with his grandfather.
3. Can I survive coach on the return flight? I really don't want to shell out the cash for business class.
4. Is it even worth fighting BCBS to try and recieve any sort of payment? Do I really have any realistic chance of recieving any payment on a 2-level cervical ADR?
5. How long before you were able to return to work?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 01-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
1. I recieved a list of several hotels in the area. Can anyone personally recomend one over the others?
I will try and answer this question.

My parents and I stayed in Hotel Romerhof (Straubing hospital), and were very happy with our decision.

I believe that the drive from the Romerhof (in Straubing) to the Bogen hospital is about 10-15 minutes (I know at least one cervical patient and her husband stayed in the Romerhof [Bogen sugery], and said the drive was no problem)

David
Old 01-26-2007, 11:45 AM

You've have asked questions that are difficult to give a satisfactory answer for as far as recovery goes due to it being so individualized. I will try to answer questions on a personal recovery level. The hotels are better left to someone who know's the area.

I had two discs replaced in my neck and two in my lumbar area. If I had just had the neck done, I believe I could have gone home within about four to five days. I also flew coach when going home but they accomadated me by putting me by the bulkhead to give me more leg room. This was precipitated by a letter from the hospital stating what I had done. I was also on pain medication and Ativan to control anxiety and help me sleep. In other words I was almost comatose and had a wonderful flight.

As far as returning to work you need to ask yourself how good of condition you are in. That is an important factor in determining length of time to return to work. I am 5' 10" and weighed 163 at 10% body fat prior to surgery. I had cycled almost 2,000 miles and did alot of walking and gardening. I was in fabulous shape pre-surgery and spent 5 days in the hospital. The length was long due to having 4 discs replaced. I returned to driving at 2 weeks, drove long distances at 6 weeks, and returned to work at 8 weeks. I don't recommend someone to do as I do. Especially with driving due to the chance of an accident wiping you out. I have a very safe SUV with lots of airbags so I am not as concerned about an accident. I believe I could have went back to work as soon as I got home as my neck did not bother me at all. I have had mostly problems with my feet and legs due to distraction pain from being stretched.

As far as fighting Blue Cross I would say go for it. They need to have people take them on as the people who don't fight let them get away with not paying for a valid procedure.

Good-Luck and please continue to utilize this place as a good resource for support and knowledge.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 01-26-2007, 11:58 AM

From the FAQ`s they really are worth a visit
http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/t...1/m/1851000181

Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 01-27-2007, 07:28 AM

Thank you Alastair, I had seen that FAQ. I was looking for any additional information anyone might be able to provide.

-Ray
Old 01-27-2007, 10:24 AM

The other thing to keep in mind is your ability to swallow after the surgery. I had the same levels as what you are having. I could not swallow anything but small bites of food for 9-10 weeks after the surgery. Since they go in through the front it leaves the throat pretty swollen afterwards. I almost choked to death on a Motrin 600 a week after the surgery. It got lodged in my throat and I almost had to self-Heimlich afterwards. Luckily I had enough air in my airway that shot it across the room. Funny now but wasn't at the time. Just remember to take small bites of food and swallow pills one at a time chased with lots of water.

I am 12 weeks post-op today and the neck feels great. I no longer have Fibromyalgia in my back due to the successful spinal surgery. What a miracle to be near pain free after so many years. My only concern is still the distraction pain in my feet and legs.

Good-luck on your journey.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 01-28-2007, 07:13 AM

Talk to Anita at Bogen - - -she is American and the international co-ordinator- - -- watch for the time difference
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 01-28-2007, 10:22 AM

bogen is a very nice town and a great hospital and staff. my wife and father in law stayed at the am platz {spelling} Anita will help you with that stuff they liked the hotel and there staff. also the owner of the hotel was great drive you to the hospital and the rates were half of that in straubing.
i can't say enough about the bogen spine center and the nursing staff everyone was beyond wonderful.
and i can't say enough about Anita she really works hard to make sure every thing is 100%may the force be with you in your up coming surgery!!
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 01-30-2007, 11:05 AM

I would definitely find the money for a 1st class ticket. That's a looong ride to be uncomfortable. My spine problem is lower than yours so of course a seat is more important to me. However, you should enjoy your trip as much as possible. I myself will NEVER fly coach again. I even have to make sure the 1st class seats are not close together because some flights have 1st class seats that don't recline all the way back. I paid for a 1st. class ticket once and wound up kneeling on the floor most of the flight because the seat did not recline fully. (I was quite livid) Some planes have fewer 1st class seats and that means they recline like a bed. I take the train to Florida now. Big room. Nice & cumfy!

Have you considered the new underwater ocean train?
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC