ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:29 PM

Default Just an introduction from a two-level mobi c

Hi Everyone,
I am Kate. I had my two-level ADR surgery on January 29, 2015. I am here to learn from others about the post-surgical process. Nice to meet all of you.
C6-C7
Lifelong runner, skier, and mountaineer, plenty of falls skiing/mountaineering
Pain started in my 20s
Dx with tendonitis in my forearms in 20s
Neck and shoulder pain worsened in late 30s
Did chiro, accupuncture, spinal injections, dry needling, medication, CBD tinctures, traditional physical therapy
When those therapies no longer helped enough, I decided to go for ADR

Old 02-07-2015, 08:25 PM

Hi Kate,

Congrats on your surgery. Hopefully, you're feeling better. Who was your surgeon? Did insurance cover all or part of your procedure?

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 02-08-2015, 12:43 AM

Welcome Kate! How are you doing post op? I am 1 month out today from a two level mobi-c. Loving every minute of it!
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015
Old 02-08-2015, 07:45 PM

Hi Gene and Kelly,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I had to switch insurances to get this two-level mobi c surgery covered 100 percent. Anthem denied it but United approved it. It is nice to read about everybody's progress/experience here on this board. I am doing pretty well so far. I am on about half the pain medicine/muscle relaxers they prescribed me.

My surgeon is Dr. Vikas Patel. I picked him because of his experience in doing two-level ADRs for a long time. He did his residency under hyun bae. He is the chief spine ortho surgeon at University Hospital in Denver and has published a lot of studies and outcomes of his research. He is impeccable in his approach but a bit on the strict side for rehab. I read on here about one fella who was allowed to go back to the gym right away. Patel wants me walking two miles every day but he has me in a pretty stiff brace with full thoracic support that I have to wear 24/7 for six weeks. No lifting over 10 lbs, no laundry (I like that part), no driving for a few weeks etc...

Patel does say I can ski/climb 14ers and do all the stuff I love after 12 weeks. But he is strict for the 12 weeks.

How are both of you doing? I hope you are feeling well and hopeful for a healthy and active future.

Attaching one picture of my neck that was taken about one week after surgery. Don't know why it is upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADR day 7 recovery.jpg (93.8 KB, 33 views)
C6-C7
Pain started in my 20s
Did chiro, accupuncture, spinal injections, dry needling, medication, CBD tinctures, traditional physical therapy

Old 02-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Hi Kate,

Welcome and I wish you a complete and pain-free recovery. Questions:

1. Did you receive written discharge or recovery instructions?

2. Were NSAIDs recommended?

For cervical disc replacements, NSAIDs are usually recommended to mitigate any chances of heterotopic ossification (bone overgrowth).

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-09-2015, 03:02 PM

Hi Harrison-
I did receive written discharge instructions and his nurses call me once or twice a week to check in on me (I live 4 hours from the hospital). Interesting Patel told me I cannot take NSAIDS. It specifically says that on my discharge notes no ibuprofen and no aleve. I will definitely call the nurse and ask why. I live in Colorado where we have access to CBD tinctures legally...also plant trim that can be juiced raw. I am doing these things to help with inflammation and Patel said that was fine to do. He said I could take tylenol when I got of the narcotics. I was down to two doses of narcotics a day yesterday and today I am going to try to go without them 100 percent. But I will call him now and ask about the nsaid for the reason you mentioned. Thanks for your guidance.
C6-C7
Pain started in my 20s

Old 02-09-2015, 03:06 PM

Wow! I believe that's as restrictive a set of limitations I've seen during a recovery period. Well, once you're recovered and resume the activities you love, it'll be worth it. Congratulations!

With some frequency we see requests here for information on surgeons in the Denver area. It will be nice now to be able to cite more than just one.
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Wink

Kate, it has been years since I studied the Mobi design. But I recall its comparative advantages over other designs -- namely less bone removed during surgery. That means far less of a chance of HO -- which is a huge design advantage IMHO.

See:

http://us.ldr.com/Portals/1/2LPRODUCTBROCHURE.pdf

And:

Mobi-C

Zeegers always liked this design for this and many other reasons, like a greater number of configurations for different, individualized fits. And he's no slouch in the world of spinal arthroplasty.

Less keel is better. My non-keeled Charite and spine are great after 11 years.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 PM

Kate,

Thank you for the info on Dr Vikas Patel. I'm having some cervical symptoms at the moment. I need to get an MRI to see what's going on. I may be jumping the gun, but if the results indicate herniated disc at C5/C6 or C6/C7 I might reach out to Dr. Patel. He participates in my insurance plan. I already have 2 levels of fusion in my neck C3/C5 and would only consider ADR in that region (assuming conservative treatment or a minor procedure doesn't help) if major surgery is warranted. I'm glad you're doing well and can resume normal activity after 12 weeks.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 PM

It amazes me how different the post op instructions are. For me, there was no lifting (greater than a jug of milk/6 pounds) and no bending of the neck (large flexion/extension movements for the first 3 weeks. I was given a soft collar for the ride home after surgery with the option to wear it according to my comfort.

After three weeks, no lifting more than 20 pounds for 3 months. I was also instructed to walk every day. I was given the NSAID Mobic for 30 days.

I'm glad you are doing well! I was off the meds completely at 10 days, it's different for everyone. Keep us posted.
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015