ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:01 PM

Default 3 Level Lumbar DDD

I am 45 years old. Chronic lower back pain for 30 years. People will say I am the most fit 45 year old guy they know and would have no idea I am in such extreme pain. I surf, mtn bike, yoga, crossfit, kiteboard, box etc. All in extreme pain. My pain causes depression, anti social behavior and impacts my relationship with friends and family. Docs have recommended either 3 level fusion or ADR (Bertagnoli) or a Hybrid solution and I honestly have no idea how to proceed. Desperately need to hear more success stories to help decide best path. Love To hear your experience or even guidance on how to best navigate these forums. Much appreciated.
Evaluating 3 level ADR vs Fusion vs Hybrid
VERY athletic health&fitness pro
Bertagnoli, Clavel, Bierstedt, Texas Back?
Prodisc, M6, Activ-L, hybrid?
Regular PT, chiro, Accupuncture, yoga, meditation, facet injections over the years.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:23 AM

Hey, sorry to hear about your painful experiences. I can empathise because I know the pain and I'm as active as you.... although I quit crossfit, which was crap but I just couldn't manage. I blew my disc out at a house fire (I'm a firefighter) 2 years ago and did EVERYTHING to avoid surgery but I ended up bone on bone and had no alternative. Best thing I did!!
I've only had a 1 level ADR at the L5-S1 level and am now 8 months post surgery. I've suffered immensely, I also have depression and anxiety as a result of the chronic pain and loss of lifestyle, but I'm on the mend and am kicking goals!
I decided to take anti depressants 2 months ago and it's helped me more than I'd imagined. I still have the same problems but am able to deal with them, I'm also socializing again. I have also noticed that my pain has decreased because with the anxiety, my back would spasm.
As far as my physical abilities go, I run up stairs, can walk and walk for hours, ride my bike, swim, yoga, and am weight training and doing crossfit type workouts (double unders don't hurt!!) without the back or front squatting, all without pain. I have pain after doing too much but it's so much easier to manage now. Stretching and walking eases my pain.
I will be back to full duties in April, one year post surgery, can't wait!!

I hope my story gives you some insight, and some hope for your future. All the best... oh, and I'm 40 years old.
Maggie
Old 12-19-2016, 04:00 AM

Welcome! You certainly came to the right place. I'm a ways away from surgery, but I've taken an interest in this technology and the recoveries related to it. There are tons of stories for you to go through on here, but one thing everyone seems to recommend is to get multiple opinions. There are a variety of great doctors (Clavel, TBI, Zeegers) who you can consult with regarding your issue. There are also a wide range of discs for you to choose from nowadays.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:34 PM

I second the note by FutureRobot to get second opinions. The decision should be made carefully, with as much knowledge available as possible.

My personal opinion is that crossfit is a jointkiller (includes discs) sport. Lifting with speed, instead of controlled strength, means that joints exhibit massive impulsive stress. Personally, regardless of outcome, I have promised myself to never do any crossfit/powerlifting type of things ever again.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:49 AM

I'm a three level lumbar hybrid. Have been for awhile now. Clavel did L5/S1 fusion and two M6s above.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:48 AM

Default Keep Us Posted

Eppy71, thanks for the phone call! Like you, I don't post or comment here very often, but let us know how it's going and what you decide when you get a chance.
3 ESIs, nerve root injection, PT, chiropractic, SED at L5/S1 - qualified success
February 9, 1016 - stood up from chair - left leg and pelvis numbness and tingling, moderate lumbar pain
X-rays, MRI, CT scan, discogram/CT scan, mylegram/CT scan
ESI
April 26, 2016 - L3 - S1 3-level ProDisc-L