ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:00 PM

Default Getting overwhelmed with ADR surgery

Hello,

I have rapidly progressing DDD in my L5/S1 disc and I am in disabling pain all the time. I was denied coverage by BCBS (Federal Employee Program) and I am fighting for an urgent appeal. My surgeon in Miami has all but abandoned me after the initial denial, so I am on my own. Retained an attorney to help be with the appeal but I don't know if this will help. Also contacted my senator and he sent me a release form to look into my case also. However, I am also looking for alternative options because I really, really, really don't want a fusion!

I've started two evaluations with German surgeons (Dr. Bertagnoli and Dr. Dasai) but the first price-estimate was a tad discouraging: $32,000 EUROS excluding travel expense. I am still waiting for the second eval. Thirdly, I am looking at getting a quote from the Texas Back Institute here in the US...What really confuses me more are all the different implants that are being used! I was supposed to have an activL ADR, TBI I believe uses the ProdiscL, and Germany uses ADR models I never heard of (Bertagnoli didn't mention a model just "a semi-constrained artificial disc replacement, and Dr. Dasai uses the LP-ESP)

I am an active ER nurse and work is getting almost impossible to do anymore but I don't have enough leave to stay home either. Getting overwhelmed and discourage a bit but it is nice to see that I am not alone. Any advice is welcome
2012-17: pain chronic, progressive, resistant to conventional treatment.
06/2017: Discogram, MRI
10/04/2017: ADR surgery denied by BCBS (FEP),

Pain is severe and disabling
04/04/2018: ADR surgery using LP-ESP disc with Dr. Desai
Old 10-30-2017, 12:44 PM

I went to Bertagnoli he is best in world I'm one year out n doing back flips on my Dirtbike again I hurt my l4-5 n l5-s1 theyyre crushed n I worked like that for years just eating pain killers all the time.

I wouldn't say I'm 100 percent but I would say like 98 percent better. Some days I forget I ever had a bad back but old age did creep up on my I'm 52 n my stamina isn't where I would like. But I can go full blast for two hours on a Dirtbike which is a God send to me

My experience w Bertagnoli was first class all the way. He is a great scientist and even better surgeon. And his opinion is free. Just send him your pictures and a few weeks later prospine will send you his opinion. Also he is cheap I had two levels for 55k
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 10-30-2017, 12:50 PM

I almost forgot bcbs will pay there's a lawyer in San Fran he gets 10 percent he frequently gets Adr approved n in Germany for u cause federal bcbs works there plus it's 120k cheaper the lawyer is posted on pro spine I think otherwise Bertagnoli USA liaison can guide u. But you still got to pay up front as even when pre approved Ins companies take months to actually pay. Germany is socialized medicine. Once u pay no matter what that's the most you pay.
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
Old 10-30-2017, 03:35 PM

Just throwing this out there, but if you are going to get a fusion l5/s1 is the level you want to get it on.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:58 PM

Smile

Activ-L is basically an upgrade of Prodisc-L (improvement of several features). If you can get Activ-L, you should absolutely go for it.
LP-ESP is a completely different type of design, but it sounds promising. If I would not have gone for Activ-L, I would have chosen LP-ESP.

I recommend continuing the fight for the ADR. The results are really impressive. I don't even remember having surgery most of the time.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia75 View Post
Hello,
I was denied coverage by BCBS (Federal Employee Program) and I am fighting for an urgent appeal.
Keep us in the loop how things progress, as I'm under BCBS FEP as well, and am looking at possible ADR options. If there's ANY way I can force them to cover it, I'd be ecstatic!
4/07:LBP + radiculopathy=severe L5-S1 herniation , 7/07:Micro-D, 08-09:Reherniation, 09-17: periodic residual symptoms (conservative modalities to maintain "stability" = prolotherapy, ESI/nerve blocks/facet injections, chiro, massage, phys ther), 7/17 pain in neck/right shoulder radiating into hand (no trauma involved), 7-10/17 Conservative treatment to date include physical therapy/dry-needling/facet-injections (C4/5 to C6/7). Researching surgical options should progression continue.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:02 AM

You can get them to reinberse you. These surgeons need cash up front insurance companies even when preapproved take months to pay