ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Banned

Here is some info I sent someone else awhile ago concerning my experience at the Rudolfinerhaus in Vienna:
------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Bertagnoli's Website
Rudolfinerhaus Hospital

Kaiser Franz Joseph Hotel has a discounted rate arranged with Dr. Bertagnoli--Dr. Fenk-Mayer can explain this too.

Kaiser Franz Joseph Hotel Info --> Click under Vienna on the lefthand side of the webpage

I am glad that you emailed me! I would wait at least 2-3 weeks to hear back from Dr. Fenk-Mayer--she is extremely busy with emailing and procedures.

Vienna: was great and the hospital was really nice as well as the nurses. Everyone speaks English and the bedside manner is amazing. The only thing that through me for a loop was how much smoke was in the lobby (it is Europe) and that everyone was dressed in white from head to toe (don't see that in the US). Other than that it is a great facility.

Pain Meds: I would ask your doctor for an extra script so that you can get it filled and have it in the hospital. Please let Dr. Bertagnoli and the nurses know what pain meds you are on so that you can take them after surgery.

Hotel: Dr. Bertagnoli and Dr. Fenk-Mayer can arrange the hotel at the Kaiser Franz Joseph which is 5 minutes away from the hospital by foot (practically across the street). I double checked my stay with the hotel to make sure--they give discounted rates to those that have surgery.

Travel: I would travel with someone. I can't stress this enough. You need someone for support and to help carry heavy bags and get to the hospital and airport ok. My brother came to visit after 1 wk post-op----it was great to see him because my wife and I were getting very homesick. My wife stayed in my hospital room for an extra ~123 euros a day--well worth it!

Return: I would wait at LEAST 2 weeks to come back. I came back after 14 days in Vienna---just to be safe--i could have left sooner but that was for an ADR operation.

Payment: Dr. B requires a deposit--although I think he requires the balance in full now. I would arrange payments with him---15,000 euros when you arrive and pay the rest when you get home (i am not sure if he does this anymore). Travelers checks are the best way to go--they don't take credit cards yet. I had signed travels checks for the deposit and wired the rest when i got home.

Food: There is a McDonald's close by and an Italian restaurant and a sanwich shop across from the Kaiser Franz Joseph. The food in the hospital is ok, but a little different than home. You can't each much before and after surgery--they schedule your meals.

ADAPTER: The hospital has plugs for adapters but ours didn't fit so we borrowed one from the hotel (Kaiser) for $30 deposit. Bring a laptop if you can and DVDs because there are only 2 channels in English and they get repetitive (MTV and CNN).

I hope this helps,

Justin
Old 12-13-2004, 09:51 AM

Justin,
That is excellent information! I expect to go over to Vienna for an ADR at C6-7 in Feburary. I do not yet have a date and am getting anxious as my neck seems to be deteriorating.
I don't suppose the clinic or hotel have laptops? Perhaps the best bet would be to find an internet cafe.
Did you know that Rudolfinerhaus is the clinic that recently diagnosed Victor Yushchenko with poisoning?
Thanks for the info,
Ann
Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 PM

Hi Ann,

Both the Kaiser Franz Joseph and the Hospital (Rudolfinerhaus) have computers in their lobbies for everyone to use. I used the hospital computer in the lobby to e-mail people and used my laptop in the hotel. It was kind of difficult for us to lug the laptop back and forth. However, you may have to put up with some smoking in the lobbies. I don't know where there are any internet cafes over there.

I would also suggest setting up a Yahoo account (that is what I used)(it's free for basic e-mail) - just to be able to send e-mails to and from family and friends easily. With my Yahoo account (or its equivalent) I was able to access my e-mail from anywhere. My current provider here at home was a bit difficult to access from other computers.

Sy,
Poncho
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Banned

Ann,

I was reading about Victor Yushchenko poisoning and his treatment at the Rudolfinerhaus. As Sue said, you can use the computers provided. However, if you have a laptop I would bring it. I would bring it to watch DVDs as the only two English stations get extremely repetitive. This saved my wife and me from going insane!

Good luck with your cervical issues.

I wish you the best--please keep me posted.

Justin