ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:48 PM

I began taking these supplements about a month ago hoping they would help with an residual joint problems. Does anyone know if they might have a negative effect on my ADR?
physical therapy/pain med no success
Refuse Fusion
Bone scan shows L5-S1 pars defect will hold ADR @ L4-5
7/31/07 pro-disc L4-5 Dr. Robert Watkins Jr. Marina Spine Institute-Mari
Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Judy, it may not -- but the quality, exact composition and dose are critical. What joint problems are you having?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 PM

I think I have SI joint issues and I'm guessing my facet joints could always use help as well as my L5-S1 area. The supplement I take has 1500mg Glucosamine sulfate, 1200 mg Chondroitin sulfate, and 1200mg MSM.
physical therapy/pain med no success
Refuse Fusion
Bone scan shows L5-S1 pars defect will hold ADR @ L4-5
7/31/07 pro-disc L4-5 Dr. Robert Watkins Jr. Marina Spine Institute-Mari
Old 05-01-2008, 08:35 PM

The supplement is unlikely to hurt and glucosamine has been shown to help in blind studies but there's no way to predict how much it would help. It's like measuring how much vitamins help. There's really no way to say if they really do make you feel better than by trying them and seeing if anythign really improves.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 05-02-2008, 08:00 AM

I don't know anything about how it may effect ADR, but I do know that the mother of a close friend of mine swears by that exact combo of Glucosamine and Chondroitin as well as some other vitamin but I'm not sure if it was MSM or not. When I was initially told I had mild arthritis in my lumbar spine and noticed the prescription anti-inflammatory wasn't helping, I turned to the over-the-counter Glucosamine/Chondroitin mixture. At the time I had pretty high hopes of it helping over time. I took it as regularly as possible (would forget a dose or so on weekends sometimes) for about 6 months. Of course, now I know why it and prescriptions weren't working... had a completely different problem going on back there!

I'm not sure how long it takes for those to kick in, but I certainly hope they help you out. in the long run.

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 AM

changing your diet will be far more effective than taking those pills.

start steaming wild salmon, or change your diet to high quality fish oils.

Arctic Krill Oil........................

This will be far more effective than taking your combo which has no proven results.

In fact an anti-inflammatory (cox inhibitor)will probably give you more relief than an assortment of pills unless you have an ulcer.

just remember not to take vitamin A as a supplement. Plenty of studies have shown that after taking it for years it can cause brittle bones.

BTW send me a PM. I live in LA too and can tell you how I have started to maintain my back after ADR. I too have arthritis in my spine post-op.

Prodisc St. Mary's 12/2006 not diagnosed properly pre-op and now have DDD L4/L5, facet calcification L5-S1/L4-L5, mild scoliosis and left knee pain. DDD: C3 through C6
Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Anti-inflammatories lead to cartilage damage taken long-term, even the COX2 inhibitors. Glucosamine has been tested and shown to have a beneficial effect, as well as having an anti-inflammatory effect without the damage that NSAIDs are known to cause.

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

Old 05-03-2008, 07:23 AM

I have been taking Glucosamine for years and swear by it's help. I had pain in the joints of my fingers which clearly indicated arthritis. I started taking the supplement several years ago and, within weeks, the pain in my hands went away. I tried to take myself off of it several months later as I did not like the price and the pain returned in my hands. I have been taking it ever since. My good friend Dr. Wakulat, who used to be my medical director, swore by the research and benefits of the drug. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan's Medical School and had an illustrious career as an internal medicine doctor for over thirty years at Northern Michigan Hospital and Burns Clinic so his word is gospel to me.

I am always skeptical about stuff so, to have me believe in it means, it works.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 05-05-2008, 07:52 PM

you say it works but show no proof.

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/feb2006/nccam-22.htm

it's marginally better than a placebo

Prodisc St. Mary's 12/2006 not diagnosed properly pre-op and now have DDD L4/L5, facet calcification L5-S1/L4-L5, mild scoliosis and left knee pain. DDD: C3 through C6
Old 05-06-2008, 04:54 PM

The NIH Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT) showed some benefit from a mix of glucosamine and chondrotin sulfate for patients with moderate to severe ostearthritis. At this point, given the risks inherent with continued use of NSAIDs, I'd still stay it's worthwhile to pursue this alternative. I'm not saying that it should be considered a wonder drug but it's a worthwhile altenative that may help. On the other hand, I'd be willing to point out the benefits of Sherlock Holmes' advice for using bee stings to help deal with untreatable rheumatic arthritis. If you're running out of options, it's always worthwhile to look options, especially those with few known side effects.