ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:36 PM

What's this? http://tinyurl.com/am757

(I don't like the idea of screws, rods, or other metal implants).

Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 PM

So does this mean you're not volunteering for the clinical trials? Thankfully, I'm not a candidate for this procedure.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 01-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Banned

Allan,
The optimesh part sounds interesting.. the size of those screws still turns me off completely..
Old 01-11-2006, 01:37 AM

Crystal: I wouldn't if I was paid bigtime b/c of Maria's concern. There doesn't seem to be much "wiggle-room" for that screw.

Be well, Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:09 AM

Its a "Fancy form of fusion" thats all. I bet it costs a lot of money. I don`t like the idea of keeping adding bone to the pliable sac - -- its a certain way of infection happening
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 01-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Banned

It's very inexpensive compared to traditional fusion. It is a method of planting an interbody device endoscopically. It will be very interesting to see where this type of procedure ultimately fits in the scheme of things.

I've attended a cadaver lab where surgeons were being taught the procedure. Minimally invasive access via normal endoscopic techniques. Put in the mesh bag and pack it with morselized bone.

Fusions are done all the time with morselized bone and sterile interbody devices. I don't see any reason for increased risk of infection. (Alastair, "certain way of infection happening"???)

Some doctors think it may function almost like a nucleus replacement; especially if bone growth is discouraged (depending on what you fill it with)... not quite fusing, but maintaining disc space and allowing continued motion. It will be a while before this application is fully understood.

Mark
Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Reading from the site - -they are adding bone for some time plus they do say it fuses -- -quote

As more particles are added they pack together tightly until the bone pack becomes very hard, like sand filling a sand bag. This hard bone pack provides the proper environment needed for fusion to occur. It also aids in stabilizing your spine to stop the painful motion.

Optimesh 1500s procedures, like typical interbody fusion procedures, are also stabilized with posterior fixation systems.
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 01-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

I hope I made it clear above that potential non-fusion applications are conjecture and have nothing to do with published info on the device. It's just something that 'some doctors are talking about'. 'It will be a while before this application is fully understood.'