ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:42 AM

Smile 23 Years old planning a surgery C4-C5/ L5-S1 need help

Hello Everyone,

My name is Hesham Alaoofi and i'm 23 years old (yes I know very young for surgery). I injured my neck and back while lifting weights about 18 months ago. I have tried all kind of therapy to avoid surgery (physical therapy, acupuncture, manipulation, injections) Nothing helped. I'm currently living in Zurich, close to Dr. Zeegers and Dr. Clavel clinics. I have already contacted the two doctors and will have a consultation with them by next week.

If we decided to perform surgery I will be bearing the cost myself, I have received a quote from Dr. Clavel for a two disc replacement procedure for about 40,000 Euro. Dr. Zeegers in the other hand told me that a quote will be received once we finish the evaluation.

Questions for the members:

- I believe the two doctors are very well experienced, but who is cheaper?
- Did anyone performed a surgery in Switzerland? If yes I would like to speak to them?
- I work in a very demanding job and I wont be able to be out of the office for more then 3 weeks, is it possible to return in 3 weeks or I'm being naive?

Thanks to all the members in this community, you have given us (new members) a lot of insights about almost everything related to ADR.

Hesham
Next surgery date: 18/02/2015 with Dr. Rischke
Old 10-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Dear Hesham,

I am sorry to hear about your injury. We wish you all the best in pursuit of a solution for the pain and damage to your spine.

I hope my advice will be helpful.

1) Most important is the selection of best treatment and best doctor. Only after you have made this decision should you concern yourself with cost. This is too important a surgery to shop on price.

2) I know that one US Doctor (Dr. Carl Lauryssen) periodically will travel to the Klinik Im Park, Zurich, Switzerland to perform surgeries. There is also another Doctor in Zurich Dr. B. Rischke, who claims to have performed over 1500 ADR procedures:

Phone: + 41 43 538 45 14
Fax: + 41 43 542 47 97
Mobile: + 41 79 660 95 95

I cannot provide any feedback on either of these doctors as we did not seek their opinions on our case.

3) What type of work do you do? Is it physical? I know that you will be restricted from lifting anything heavy for some time.

All the best,

Dave
- Wife has been diagnosed with Severe Spinal Stenosis Right and Left Sides, Degenerative Disk Disease at C5/6 and C6/7, Large Osteophyte Complexes at a both levels, with C6/7 on R/H Side, and C5/6 both R/H and L/H Sides. Also Reverse Lordosis.
- Performed 2-Level ADR with M6-C by Dr. Clavel, Barcelona Spine Center on 10/15/14.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:42 PM

Dear Dave,

Thank you for your reply, I wish your wife all the best in her procedure.

1) Correct. I will focus now on the evaluation rather than the cost.

2) I have seen Dr. Rischke website but from what I understand he uses a disc called "Freedom disc" and i'm not really sure about that most doctors advised using the M6 for me?

3) I work in an office so no lifting involved but I have a lot of responsibilities and I can't be out for more then 3 weeks.

Hesham
Old 10-05-2014, 06:59 PM

It will be fairly certain that sitting and long-duration repetitive motion, such as typing at a desk, will cause discomfort at three weeks even if you have an unusually fast recovery. Laura went back to work within three weeks of all three of her ADR surgeries but was also very careful about how much she taxed her body during that early recovery. ADR is probably the only back surgery that could possibly give you the short recovery time you're seeking but I don't believe that even ADR could have you back to full speed within three weeks. Can you seek some form of limited duty or alternate work arrangement to allow yourself to rest a bit throughout the day during the early post-surgical period? The combination of allowing you to rest during the day, changing your chair around, and permitting you to move around the office as one task started flaring up your back could allow you to come back to work faster.

Side note about ADR types, I would strongly advise you to find the best surgeon you can to perform the surgery and let ADR type be a secondary consideration. If you like Rischke in all other regards, using the best surgeon is a better means of securing a good outcome than using any particular ADR type. The point is moot, of course, if you don't think that Rischke is any better than the other surgeons you're looking at.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-05-2014, 09:12 PM

Hesham,

You are young for undergoing ADR surgery. Please consider any surgery carefully. Back problems can take years to heal. I hope your not doing things to re-injure yourself.
Take care, best wishes and good luck.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:34 PM

Ah, lifting weights and the curse of youth. Condolences, young man. Been there.

If I understand correctly, Clavel said L5/S1 was okay for M6L?

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna View Post
It will be fairly certain that sitting and long-duration repetitive motion, such as typing at a desk, will cause discomfort at three weeks even if you have an unusually fast recovery. Laura went back to work within three weeks of all three of her ADR surgeries but was also very careful about how much she taxed her body during that early recovery. ADR is probably the only back surgery that could possibly give you the short recovery time you're seeking but I don't believe that even ADR could have you back to full speed within three weeks. Can you seek some form of limited duty or alternate work arrangement to allow yourself to rest a bit throughout the day during the early post-surgical period? The combination of allowing you to rest during the day, changing your chair around, and permitting you to move around the office as one task started flaring up your back could allow you to come back to work faster.

Side note about ADR types, I would strongly advise you to find the best surgeon you can to perform the surgery and let ADR type be a secondary consideration. If you like Rischke in all other regards, using the best surgeon is a better means of securing a good outcome than using any particular ADR type. The point is moot, of course, if you don't think that Rischke is any better than the other surgeons you're looking at.
Hi Anna,

Thank you for your feedback. I will definitely put my health as a priority. I can work in my office while standing which is great. I have contact 3-5 doctors so far and will decide once I get their feedbacks, have you read in the threads about Dr. Rischke? I don't seem to find him!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris View Post
Hesham,

You are young for undergoing ADR surgery. Please consider any surgery carefully. Back problems can take years to heal. I hope your not doing things to re-injure yourself.
Take care, best wishes and good luck.
Hi Boris,

Unfortunately I tried all the alternatives but nothing worked, I've lost my happiness my health my ability to play sports. Very frustrating situation
Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrad View Post
Ah, lifting weights and the curse of youth. Condolences, young man. Been there.

If I understand correctly, Clavel said L5/S1 was okay for M6L?
I still didn't have my consultation call with him, its scheduled after 3 days. Thank you so much sir.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloffi View Post
I still didn't have my consultation call with him, its scheduled after 3 days. Thank you so much sir.
The reason I ask is because L5/S1 is an increasingly contested level for ADR depending on issues referred to as pelvic incidence/degree of sacral slope.

Would be curious what he says in your case.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.