ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:24 PM

Hello Everyone, Today is the first time that I have posted after searching and reading several of the stories and topics. Five years ago I had cervical fusion with plating C5- C7. For about a year now I have experiencing numbness and pain that has begun to affect my sleep and daily function. I revisited the Dr. who did the surgery and after all the tests and pictures he said that I have adjacent segment disease C4. From what I have read, it seems people have looked at ADR and are in some cases waiting for treatment just to avoid the ASD from fusion. A few months ago my Doctor put me on the "List" of people he has waiting for the cervical ADR. Using this forum, I found that the FDA was about to approve the Cervical ADR which I believe was done this week. Earlier today I was told by the Doctors office that it will still be months before they complete training and then there is the whole question of the insurance. I'm beginning to understand why there are so many people using this forum.
Is there anyone who has had experience with Cervical ADR post fusion for Adjacent Segmant Disease as my Dr. recommends.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Welcome to our community Fred, and thanks for posting. Yes, unfortunately, you are right about the insurance "problem." I think a better word for the "problem" might be a nightmare.

So do you have any idea what caused your original DDD condition? As well, do you have a way of knowing the rate of degeneration that has occurred in your previous and existing condition? The nature of the degenerative disease may help qualify/disqualify you for ADR (or other) procedures. E.g., if your spine is severely arthritic, and your facets are compromised, ADR may not be a prudent choice.

Try to get as much info from your doc, imaging studies and radiologist(s) reports. Make sense?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-20-2007, 08:41 AM

Hi Fred. Sorry you've had so many problems with your neck. I had a 1 level fusion (c5-6) about 3-1/2 years ago. Within 2 years three other levels had gone (adjacent segment rapid degeneration) and my NS recommended a 4 level fusion. I said that if a one level fusion caused 3 levels to 'blow' within 2 years, the last little disc in my neck wouldn't have a hope if I had a 4 level fusion (and possibly thoracic discs too, who knows?) and he said they'd then just put a rod down the back at that level. So that would make 3 surgeries and a 5 level fusion. Didn't sound too good to me, so I looked into ADR. I had 3 level ADR (C3-4, C4-5 and C6-7) done on 3/23/07 and am so much better. I was in pretty bad shape just before the surgery, 90% incapacitated on a sofa. I am now getting my life back and it is so great and I'm very thankful. I went to Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany. I never felt this well after my fusion - fusions hurt a lot more and I think the other levels started to 'go' pretty rapidly after my fusion - so I never really felt very well after my fusion. If you have any questions you'd like to ask me, please feel free. Just a thought - how 'bout going to a doc in the U.S. who has been performing the clinical trials for several years? I don't know of any in your area, but I know that the Texas Back Institute and Rick Delamarter out of Santa Monica, CA have been performing the cervical clinical trials for awhile, so they'd have some experience, be ready to operate and are supposed to be good. Sure hope you are able to have surgery and feel a lot better.
Onset of severe fibromyalgia in 6/95, undiagnosed for 2 years while lived in UK
About 1998 o
Old 07-23-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Harrison:
Welcome to our community Fred, and thanks for posting. Yes, unfortunately, you are right about the insurance "problem." I think a better word for the "problem" might be a nightmare.

So do you have any idea what caused your original DDD condition? As well, do you have a way of knowing the rate of degeneration that has occurred in your previous and existing condition? The nature of the degenerative disease may help qualify/disqualify you for ADR (or other) procedures. E.g., if your spine is severely arthritic, and your facets are compromised, ADR may not be a prudent choice.

Try to get as much info from your doc, imaging studies and radiologist(s) reports. Make sense?
Harrison, Thanks for the reply. At the risk of sounding uninformed, I can only contribute the original DDD to 45 years of carrying the weight of the world around. There was no accident or trauma. I do not recall any discussion about the "rate of degeneration" with the NS. I know that he is not one of the Surgeons that has done the trials with ADR. After the Scans and MRI along with xrays to measure (inflection)? he said that I would be a candidate for the ADR and was not recommending addtional fusion. I think that I need to make a decision as to continue with this Dr. or get my records from him and seek a Surgeon with more experience with ADR.

I am continuing to read the posts and appreciate the availability of the Support Group.

Thanks Fred
Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 AM

fred
have you seen a Dr. Balderston at Pa Hospital ?
hes a very good local surgeon.
best wishes to ya
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 PM

Chuck, Just today while looking through the posts I read about Dr. Balderston (PA) and also Dr. McAfee. Both are about an hour from here. I'm just not sure if I should contact a potential new Dr. first or get all the records from Dr.K and tell him that I can't wait a year.

Thanks Fred