ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:23 PM

Default Preparing for 5 levels ADR Dr. Bertagnoli

Hi,

My US doctor proposed lumbar and cervical fusion. I already knew that was a non starter, the only question was where to get ADR and how to pay for it. Fast forward, I have a quote from Dr Bertagnoli, and have the funds ready. Then I found this forum. Will post up a question in the appropriate category.

Thanks to everyone here for the wealth of actionable information.

Sept 4th, 2019: Completed 3 level CP-ESP at C4 thru C7 with Dr. Biren Desai in Cologne, Germany

Scheduled for March 11, 2020: L3 thru S1 LP-ESP with Dr Clavel in Barcelona
Old 07-11-2019, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Question

Oh my gosh, five levels. Any news since your post from July 2?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Oh my gosh, five levels. Any news since your post from July 2?
Harrison, thanks for asking. From Dr. Desai:
Dear Mr. Gibson!

Thank you for sending me your recent MRT scan lumbar and cervical.

In your recent cervical MRI I see the dehydration and loss of disc height in C4/5 and C5/6 and C6/7.

Modic changes are seen in C5/6 and C6/7. Kyphotic angulation in the level C4/5 and dehydration.

From your medical history, age and the MRI, I suggest to treat C4/5 and C5/6 and C6/7 with the ADR (possibly fusion with a stand alone cage in C5/6 and C6/7).

Spinal canal is not too narrow.

The CP-ESP (cervical disc) is a visco-elastic artificial disc and allow for 6-degrees of motion in all directions and accurately replicated the natural biomechanics of the spine.

This allows for natural motion and decreases the chances of any additional degeneration at adjacent levels, as well as degeneration of the facet joints.

Results of the implantation of the ESP discs have proven much more successful than traditional fusion.

I'm a bit disturbed by his mention of fusion as an option. I could get fused by any hack doctor in hometown, USA. Anyway, I will jump through the hoops and see what happens. Also he didn't mention my lumbar situation, so I asked him to look into it. Since the guy Emailed me directly (assuming it's not an assistant) he's either not crazy busy or he works all night.

Sept 4th, 2019: Completed 3 level CP-ESP at C4 thru C7 with Dr. Biren Desai in Cologne, Germany

Old 07-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrew View Post
I'm a bit disturbed by his mention of fusion as an option.

If you think about it, though, he's offering fusion at levels where the thoracic spine is about to pick up and ADR at level(s) where the rest of the C-spine might be compromised by adjacent level effects. It isn't a horrible compromise if you're forced into that. BTW, the local hacks that you mention would likely not get the three devices, of whatever type they are, fully aligned and have the misalignment cause unnatural stresses within the spinal column, so you are better off going to someone who's done a lot of multi-level.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 07-15-2019, 03:59 PM

Agree completely as far as going to a top guy. Where I live in a glittery tourist mecca in the desert southwest, I would not have some clown here extract a tooth.