ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Default Hello All - 3 degenerative discs from S1 to L3

Hello all, at 40 I have recently been diagnosed as having 3 degenerative discs from S1 to L3 and since June of this year have had three events/injuries that have taken me out for a week or more at a time. My last was Tuesday of last week, taken out by a sneeze. This is the second one generated by a sneeze.

S1/L5 is nearly bone on bone, L5/L4 is torn and bulging on both sides, L4/L3 is somewhere in the middle .. degenerated with mild bulge.

All told I've been unable to work for over 5 weeks off and on with a considerably diminished home life due to this condition.

While looking for some information and direction I found your forum and hope to learn more about my condition and possible remedies. So far the outlook I've read about is not heartening.

I recently had an epidural about three weeks ago. It brought considerable relief but I was feeling stiff and uneasy the day of this last event. I was on track to start physical therapy in about a week.

From what I've read on some posts I may well not be at the surgery stage yet, but am hoping to learn about all my options and frankly to learn more about how to cope with this condition, even basic issues like how in the heck to deal with the next sneeze!

Hope to learn more, thank you in advance for any suggestions and information you can provide.

-James
Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM

James,

I'm a (former) cervical sufferer (4 levels) and as such don't have any lumbar experience that might be helpful to you. As silly as a sneeze is, my first episode was set off in 1999 by throwing a baseball to my then 14 year old, and my second three years later by raising my hands above my head and stretching.

There is a lot of lumbar experience on this board that will be chiming in soon with their relevant experiences.

Good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Default Welcome to our community!

James,

Sorry you are here, but I hope we can help you. Hopefully you read my other email, please call if you need any help.

Also, please read the detailed topic in Arthroplasty Central about ADR Risks, Complications, Disqualifications. It's a good introduction to tricky issues for those facing surgery.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
James,

Sorry you are here, but I hope we can help you. Hopefully you read my other email, please call if you need any help.

Also, please read the detailed topic in Arthroplasty Central about ADR Risks, Complications, Disqualifications. It's a good introduction to tricky issues for those facing surgery.

Thank you for the warm welcome and offer of information, by phone even. Wow.

I'm set for a visit with the Doc on Tues, likely a steroid shot then and will be making a bee-line to the physical therapy.

I've been pouring through the other boards and will continue to do so. The info is very helpful as it will assist me in talking ot the Doc about my longer term prognosis. I've learned that most Docs will tell you what you want to know and they stop there. I'm not a fan of the unknown so I tend to want the whole picture.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Administrator

The dreaded unknown! Been there, done that in 2003. Along with chronic spinal pain, it's no fun.

James, in case you didn't already see my presentation in April, it's a goldmine of information gleaned from the the results of the first patient outcome survey:

YouTube - Artificial Disc Replacement: The Patient's Perspective (Rehearsal)

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate