ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Question Now using a cane and back-brace, should I be concerned?

Before leaving for a vacation trip last week which I knew was going to require a great deal of walking I purchased a cane. This was quite a blow to my 39-year-old pride that I purchased and actually used this the entire time!

While I was at the "store for the elderly" I also found a back brace made of a soft material with a lumbar cushion which straps tightly around my lower back and abdomen. The moment I strapped it on I was amazed at how much easier and less painful it was to stand! I have since found that it makes both standing and sitting much more tolerable. This is the first such device in my long battle with my back issues which has given me any real relief other than the hydro-heat I always lie on.

Although I was amazed, and am finding that I have continued to wear this more and more constantly I am also a bit concerned. Will this create other issues with weakening the muscles which were previously working at keeping me up when standing and sitting? I have not had a chance to ask a doctor about this yet, and was wondering if anyone had ever been told anything one way or the other about this.

I certainly plan to ask one of my doctors (either my PC or surgeon) the next time I speak to them. I'm just asking if anyone had been advised one way or the other on this or if I am being overly concerned. I have not used the cane since the vacation - mostly due to the whole pride "thing" but also because I don't walk all that much.

Thank you for any thoughts or opinions.

Jeff
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....
Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Yes, the back brace will weaken the muscles you use to stabilize your spine. I've not had a chance to read through your other posts and I'm tired enough that I can't remember anything about your condition so consider this a generic high-level answer: a back brace is a reasonable way to buy a little time but will ultimately make your recovery a little harder if you rely on the brace too long and your muscles atrophy. I can't answer how quickly and you might even never see any atrophy if you do other things to keep them strong but it does tend to lead to atrophy just like locking out any joint tends to lead to atrophy of the muscles that move that joint.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 04-22-2009, 02:03 AM

I have to agree with Annapurna. After I had my spinal fusion, I was told to use my cane as little as possible that way I wouldn't depend on it so much. I do use a cane, but only if I am going to do a lot of walking. I understand the pride thing. I never thought I would be using a cane at 34 years of age.

Even though the back brace offers you some relief, the trouble with it is that it can give you a false sense of security. You have to be careful to not overdo things. You may not feel it right away with the brace.

I wish you well!
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 PM

Thank you both very much for the insight and thoughts. I haven't used the cane at all since I was walking around for miles attempting to allow my kids to enjoy Disney in Florida.

Although the back brace has been about the ONLY apparatus I have ever found to give me any relief from some of my pain while sitting and standing for over 3 and 1/2 years, I am trying my best to use it more sparingly due to the concerns which you both have mentioned. I'm scheduled for an MRI tomorrow which presumably should result in another appointment with my Dr to discuss and I will get his opinion as well.

Thank you again - Jeff
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM

I had an ALIF in February and while I wasn't given a brace, I use one when I'm doing something out of the ordinary like traveling via airports. It reminds me and keeps me from doing something stupid like bending over to pick up a suitcase, etc.

It helps me a lot in the short term, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use.
Idet 4/08 No improvement
Now looking at ADR vs. Fusion
ALIF Fusion 2/10 Stanford