ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 AM

Default newbie need help l5 s1 fusion or ADR

Hello im 37 and work as an operator in a plant. Job requires me to lift atleast 50 lbs. with that said ive been out of work for six months. I did all the things like pt, injections so forth and then came down to a microdiscectomy in jan this year. things was going great then it blew out again in feb.I saw the dr he wants to do another one but im thinking about a fusion or adr. ive been doing some research online and it appears alot of people wait as long as they can to do surgery but i cant. DDD runs im my family so to do another discectomy seems useless. it looks like it would be great to go to germany and get something like the m6 but i dont have the funds. I have aetna but i believe it only covers in US. what other ADR options are there in the US. Or should I just get a fusion. thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 AM

Welcome!

The good news is that you only have one level, so just about any insurance company will pay for an ADR. I would remain as much mobility as I could. Personally speaking, I would never fuse anything unless I had NO other choice because it puts too much strain on the adjacent levels. I know other people on here feel differently, but that's my take on it. ESPECIALLY if DDD runs in your family. The likelihood of another level blowing with a fusion is just too great.

Where in the country are you?

Also, given that you lift a lot, I would find a surgeon who can put in the Bryan, rather than the ProDisc, as that has no up-down cushioning.

This is a great group of people and you will find much needed support here!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 AM

I live in Texas and i haven't heard of the Bryan i will have to look that one up. I'm just kinda scared with both procedures because I've seen negative both ways but i do like the fact of being mobile will help me out.how long has the Bryan been out.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM

Default Check out Texas Back Institute

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman4125 View Post
I live in Texas and i haven't heard of the Bryan i will have to look that one up. I'm just kinda scared with both procedures because I've seen negative both ways but i do like the fact of being mobile will help me out.how long has the Bryan been out.
If you live in Texas, check out Dr. Jack Zigler at the Texas Back Institute in Plano. He is one of the people spoken about on this board.
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
If you live in Texas, check out Dr. Jack Zigler at the Texas Back Institute in Plano. He is one of the people spoken about on this board.
I was just going to say that. Lucky you!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 AM

Newbie, Hi Welcome.

I would check about being able to lift a lot of weight after having surgery. It may be okay, but really heavy weights are not encouraged after ADR.

If your vertebral disc is your pain generator, nothing short of replacing that part is going to make you feel better, IMHO. Getting an ADR is major surgery and it is not a walk in the park and different people heal at different rates.

I have several friends who think that fusion at L5/S1 is not as bad as say at a higher lumbar level as the area is less mobile and just the SI joints are below and not another disc.

However, I had SI joint problems and I figured that fusion might really throw that area off. So I was in favor of ADR at L5/S1.
But I know people with fusions and they are doing fine. You are right, there are people with good and bad stories with both fusion and ADR.

I would suggest getting multiple surgical opinions so you can form an informed opinion.

K
Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmers View Post
Newbie, Hi Welcome.

I would check about being able to lift a lot of weight after having surgery. It may be okay, but really heavy weights are not encouraged after ADR.

If your vertebral disc is your pain generator, nothing short of replacing that part is going to make you feel better, IMHO. Getting an ADR is major surgery and it is not a walk in the park and different people heal at different rates.

I have several friends who think that fusion at L5/S1 is not as bad as say at a higher lumbar level as the area is less mobile and just the SI joints are below and not another disc.

However, I had SI joint problems and I figured that fusion might really throw that area off. So I was in favor of ADR at L5/S1.
But I know people with fusions and they are doing fine. You are right, there are people with good and bad stories with both fusion and ADR.

I would suggest getting multiple surgical opinions so you can form an informed opinion.

K
What Kimmers said.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman4125 View Post
The Bryan artificial disc replacement is for the cervical spine / neck. The testing started many years ago in the U.S. (more in Europe?) with an FDA approval in 2009.

FDA - Link

Product Name: BRYAN® Cervical Disc
PMA Applicant: Medtronic Sofamor Danek
Address: 1800 Pyramid Place, Memphis, TN 38132
Approval Date: May 12, 2009
Approval Letter: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/pdf6/P060023a.pdf

You have a lumbar L5/S1 issue, so ... it is good to ask questions. You might search for ProDisc on adrsupport.org to get the metrics comparing fusion and adr/tdr. Individual results vary. Clinical results with a larger sample size show a cautious trend.

Lumbar ADR/TDR is OK+. The ProdiscL clinical testing (FDA trial) advantages appear to be fewer reoperations, less narcotics use and faster rehabilitation leading to employment v. disability. It looks good from the top, but ... every surgery has risks. Time plays a role in both Fusion and ADR/TDR.

All orthopaedic and neurology surgeons have more school, training, internship, residency, fellowship, ... than one can easily imagine. Surgeon choice can be limited by local or geographic medical practice patterns. Surgical choice may be limited by insurance coverage. Some patients go to Europe for lumbar ADR/TDR surgery and sometimes cervical cases. We all want to be confident in our choice(s) be it the type of surgery, the adr/tdr device and the surgeon.

------------------------
Slackwater_SF
Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses I've got a couple dr appts set up in the next coming weeks.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Do keep us updated. We are thinking about you!