ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 AM

Hi folks, I'm not quite sure where to begin, but I suppose at the beginning is usually a good start. I was just discharged from a hospital up north, with double pneumonia, and a large pulmonary embolism in my right lung. The symptoms of the p.e. came on very fast, for everyone's information. I am kissing the earth, thanking my God, to be here this minute. I was up at my cabin, with dear friends on their way, to celebrate one of their birthdays. My husband was also on his way. As I was running some errands before everyone's arrival, I quite suddenly began to feel a sharp pain under my left breast. I was in a Walmart, and an employee kindly found a chair for me to sit down. Still baffled and hurting, I drove the hour back to the cabin. When I told my husband, we were just plain stupid, to tell the truth. We honestly were not thinking anything serious, maybe because I had already been thru so much. I do remember making a call to the back doctor's office earlier, complaining of alot of pain in the back of my right leg. PA got back to me and said likely nerve pain, from them having to dig around there aggressively, to get the bone cement out. So, we actually went to bed that night, w/o taking any action. At 4 a.m., I awoke in excruciating pain under left breast, and we called 911 for an ambulance. And tests discovered all of the above. I'm now thinking the pain in my leg was the blood clot, as there is no pain there anymore. The pneumonia really threw me off. I had no cough, no fever, no cold, had not been sick in any form or fashion, and films were suddenly showing significant pneumonia in both of my lungs. I should still be in hospital as pneumonia is still in left lung, but my husband talked the doctor into discharging me with the strict requirement that I get into my primary today (just made the appt.) for follow-up and to get on therapeutic coumadin schedule. We wanted to get me closer to family in twin cities too, for support. Looks like I'm on coumadin for life. Small price to pay. Anyway, I'm being ordered to get back in bed, so in conclusion, I just want to say, I'm not looking for any kind of sympathy, altho I do appreciate all of the support from the community, and my best advice is, just listen to your body. I should have listened better to mine when the pain came on. Glad to be here you guys!
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 08-11-2008, 08:12 AM

Hang in there CindyLou. It sounds like God is not done with you yet. I am hopeful that you follow through with the doctor's orders. I believe you may have a bit of the stubbornness in you. LOL
This sounds frightening to go through.

Hang in there and take it easy.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 08-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Cindy, I know have suggested this before, but it is very important you get the proper diagnostic blood tests. Given what you described, especially the wierd rashes and other symptoms you had recently, pls do some more reading on mycoplasmas and the problems with Lyme testing. As well, mycoplasma pneumonia is serious business -- it kills thousands of people each year (and just claimed the life of yet another celebrity).

I'll send you more info on this by email.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

CindyLou, my gosh you have been through it all. We will keep you in prayer, especially for smooth sailing from here on out! No more pot holes in the road, eh?

Quote:
As well, mycoplasma pneumonia is serious business -- it kills thousands of people each year (and just claimed the life of yet another celebrity).
This is premature, as no autopsy has been done or information released to the press.

-Justin
Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Glad to hear you're home and resting. Seems like you're making some nice slow improvement. I really hope all goes well and you can start feeling better soon!

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM

cindy
we are all pulling for you kid. get well soon.
you are in my prayers and i am sending you positive thoughts.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 08-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks guys. Have missed you Chuck! Am getting ready to leave for the doctor appt. and will update after. Harrison, I will mention the mycoplasma pneumonia, certainly, but to be honest with you, sometimes your messages come off too alarming, and then they turn me off. I'm just being frank here. I don't respond well to alarmist advice, if you will. Justin, I would honestly appreciate some of your input here, frankly, with the whole mycoplasma pneumonia, lyme disease, etc? What do you have to say? Gotta go. Thanks again. And yes, Terry, I fear you are getting to know me too well. Perhaps one stubborn person recognizes another??
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 08-11-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CindyLou:
And yes, Terry, I fear you are getting to know me too well. Perhaps one stubborn person recognizes another??
ABSOFREEKINLUTELY--------LOL

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Cindy, I really don't mind being called an alarmist, as there is so much for all of us to know in terms of the etiology of modern diseases. I am just trying to help people understand overlooked aspects of diseases -- especially diagnoses -- and how they MAY be overlooked by both patients and doctors. My specific area of interest and research are pathogens that invade joints, including the spine.

This article from today is the classic example of a "modern" disease that is often tough to diagnose and treat:

http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...EWS01/808110313/1002

Please note how this nasty disease (one of many) is transmitted, and how it ravaged this man's body -- especially the lungs.

I won't bring this up again with you, given your complaint. Good luck on your next steps.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-11-2008, 11:59 PM

Cindylou,

thankfully you called the ambo's when you did and you were able to get the care you needed. it is good that you caught the pulmonary embolus in time and the pneumonia is clearing but interesting that you did not have the associated respiratory symptoms with the pneumonia findings (did i read this right?)?

it is a blessing that your right leg pain has resolved and i hope you are able to continue on your path to health,

rachel
L4/5, L5/S1 disc prolapses post wakeboarding accident Oct 06 (grade 5 and grade 4 annular disruption, repectively). 2X epidural steroid injections, lots of drugs and conservative treatment, positive discogram. Surgery May 08 (L4/5 A-Mav disc replacement and L5/S1 ALIF)