ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 PM

Default Advice for a discogram

Hi, I am finally scheduling my discogram as I am closing in on a surgery plan. I am probably going to go with Dr. clavel in Barcelona. I am hoping it is just L4-L5 but all my lumbar discs are dessicated. I have never had one and although am accustomed to pain as we all are I am a bit apprehensive. I am told they will probably start at L1 and go to S1. I know they are painful but is it hard to tell the pain from the test versus the discogenic pain? I am afraid to get a false positive.

I appreciate any advice, my MD just told me to try and concentrate through the pain?
2009-facet inj, radiograph ablation, SI joint injections, cryoablation stubborn no relief
2010-retired d/t pain. more injections
2011-IDET of L3-L5. Pain unchanged, up 50 lbs!
2011-Lumbar ADR recommended by Ortho and 2 neuros. In appeals w/ins. May choose Europe for M6
Need to lose lbs
Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 PM

i just had 2 levels done (twice!) - only 1 was the culprit - and the "control" just felt strange, no pain AT ALL. that's how it's supposed to be... some people though, have discordant pain. that's why a control is done - to see if there is no reaction to a "normal" disc.

as i said, i've had two discograms - the induced pain was unmistakable and very, very uncomfortable. anesthesia should shoot you up w/ fentanyl in the IV when it's all done and usually the doc doing the discogram puts lidocaine and antibiotics in the disc when they're done.

sorry you have to have so many levels done.... hoping just 1 is bad so that there isn't too much suffering!
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 AM

I had three levels done. The negative level was not the same (more pressure than pain?) and they are very clear in how to answer. They also watch your facial expressions, test you when there shouldn't be pain, etc. Just answer honestly. How uncomfortable it is depends on the person and the situation in your spine. I didn't think it was worse than childbirth, and it's a very short time frame comparitively. (Sorry - natural childbirth will forever be my judge of pain. Don't know if you've experienced this!)
You've probably already had enough severe pain in your spine at times that it won't overwhelm you. I actually had some pretty severe pain at home that night after the discogram, but they should send you home with pain meds. It was gone the next day and I went to work. The CT scan they did after the discogram (while there was still dye in my discs) was very descriptive and helpful for treatment recommendations.
Word of warning.... at least in my situation... the discogram was $9000 which was shocking for an outpatient diagnostic test. I have good insurance that paid 90% - I still had a $900 unexpected bill to pay. You might want a head's up on the cost.
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 PM

I actually had 4 levels done in my discogram and they thought I might have had 2 troublesome levels. On the non-pain generating levels, especially the top 2 which they checked just to be on the safe side, I felt next to nothing at all. On L4/L5 which was a possible problem, I only felt some pressure. On the actual problem level, there was distinct pain combined with pressure. It's hard to remember back that far, but what I do remember is that it was definitely noticeable compared to other levels tested.

I've read on here that some people are in pain for a couple days afterward. I didn't have a ton of issues post-discogram. They did give me pain medication which I took for a day, but the post-discogram pain I had wasn't much different from a normal flare up. I could be remembering incorrectly. You'll know though which level is a pain generator.

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Default 2 levels done

It was fast and easy.. I felt nothing on the good disc and pain that made me yell at them for about 5 seconds.. Then I was back to sleep.. Easy money!!

12/01 Discectomy at Los Robles medical center T.O.
Dr. Donald DeGrange

8/08 minor rupture at L5 S1.. Therapy

8/09 16 mm rupture at L5S1.

9/09 Discectomy at L5S1 at thousand oaks surgical
Center. Dr. Eric Spayde
4/11. 3 mm rupture at L5 s1

8/11. ADR at L5S1 at Los Robles medical center
Dr. Eric Spayde
Old 11-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Please see the FAQ forum too -- there's a meaty one on this topic....
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Thanks to al. For the kind words of advice. I am schecduled for my discogram this Thursday at noon. Not looking forward to it, but hopefully will solidify my diagnosis. I will do my best to take everyone's advice and try not to frighten the neighbors
2009-facet inj, radiograph ablation, SI joint injections, cryoablation stubborn no relief
2011-Lumbar ADR recommended by Ortho and 2 neuros. In appeals w/ins. May choose Europe for M6
Need to lose lbs
Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 PM

Default Survived discogram!

Thanks to all, I survived the dreaded discogram. Had 4 levels done. Wouldn't want one again but not nearly as bad as I was anticipating. Seems the culprit is L3-L4 single level. Still leaning to Dr. Clavel. Any advice always predicated. Thanks again for the support
Need to lose lbs