ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Default next day pain

Next day pain is something to always consider after you've had your surgery.
I noticed this right away after my surgery, activity doesn't normally hurt while you
are doing it...it gets you the next day. Once you've stopped your activities and then go still for sitting or sleeping, it gives the inflammation a chance to kick in and then you realize that you may have over done it. Most of the time, it goes away. I always keep a huge gel pack with me, even when I traveled for my surgery to England. I've learned that ice works better than anything I can take orally.
I would imagine that all of these muscle's relearning what to do and where to be are going to cause a little discomfort along the journey back to recovery but after reading a lot of members surgical outcomes, it seems this is a common complaint.
After a year, we all seem to be doing fine and most things all feel back to normal.
It takes time so be patient. Make smaller goals instead of big ones. If you walk 5 minutes, next time walk 6. That's a small goal, instead of trying for ten. Once I reached the 6 month mark, I pushed myself harder then. I really didn't over do it after surgery and told myself that once my one year x-rays were good, then I would push harder. I did 80% of my activity in the pool as it seemed to leave me with the least next day pain.
Everyone is different and yet we all seem to have some similar symptoms after surgery.
Don't worry. Just take it easy and use common sense. Remind yourself that you had a major surgery and it will take time to heal and for muscle's to relearn what to do.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM

The big thing for me is always wondering if I did something to screw up the fusion part of my 3 level hybrid surgery. The past week my back has hurt so much. I feel a little clunking when I turn a certain way. I keep thinking that I damaged one of the screws that is attached to my spine and this broken screw is digging into one of my nerves.
I presume the only way to know for sure is to have a X-ray done with different views. I had one taken at 5 weeks because it was thought that one of the screws was not secured into bone. It was done perfectly!
It is 7 weeks since my surgery today, if you guys were me when would you ask to have another x-ray taken? Is it better to catch a broken screw earlier so that it can be replaced before the area calcifies? Damn the idle mind............
Adr- L4-L3 with M6