ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 AM

Default Gluten Free Barcelona/Flight

Is anyone here besides me gluten free? If so, how did your flight go? How easy was it to navigate Barcelona's food? Getting glutened in Barcelona is NOT an option. It would inhibit bone growth. Not to mention I could tear loose one of the implants with the violence of my reaction to it.

I am worried more about the flight I think, because I will be learning Spanish before I go (enough to get around), and because Europe is WAY better at GF than the US (aren't they better at everything?). Apparently all I need to say is "Yo soy Celiaco" and they will be able to take care of me. But I don't want to trust only that. The flight over, however, I am a captive audience, and if they forget to get my meal ON the plane (it happens frighteningly often) then it will be a very hungry flight.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM

I can't answer directly but I've always called Delta a few days ahead to order and the day ahead to confirm any special diet requests. I also always grab a gallon bag and mix up a nut, grain, and dried fruit snack to take with Laura and I on any long flight or set of flights. There's been a few times that the food on the plane was only vaguely edible and I really appreciated having that bag or even a few of the better trail bars along to eat.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM

Thanks Jim!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM

My daughter has celiac disease. I understand your concern.
Honestly, I'd call the airline and ask but as you know, we are always
having to trust when someone tell's us "oh, you can have it" and then find out
they were wrong. Happens to my daughter a lot!
My daughter brings her own bread/bun depending on where we are going.
Maybe try to bring something for the flight/airport because usually we can find a safe meat, it's usually the bread and gravies that are off limits. Airport food is very hard to eat when you have a gluten allergy. We always bring gluten free pretzels and some kind of safe snacks with us for travel. It makes my daughter so frustrated, but what can you do?
Another suggestion, as a mom here who understands what happens when you eat the wrong thing...take some immodium with you in your purse. Just in case. Better to have and not need it
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 AM

Delta airlines:

Special Meals Onboard Delta Flights

It says you have to notify them 24 hours in advance but they do offer a gluten free menu.

Sounds like you need to call your airline and notify them.
I would ask Dr. Clavel to write down how to say what you're allergic to
in Catalan as Spanish can be a bit different. I'd show it to my server before eating food out.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 AM

Great suggestions! Unfortunately, I want to steer clear of Delta, since those seemed to be all the stories of lost/missing meals.

We also decided to plan for an extra hour at SFO since I found places that can do GF. I also got a list from BCN. Worst case scenario, we stuff our faces on either end and starve during the flight. Hopefully security will let me through with my own stuff, but everyone says to be prepared to throw it away, even if you have a medical note because they sometimes make you. As you know, with a celiac daughter, we must always prepare for the worst case. Sometimes we get pleasantly surprised, but it's better not to plan for that.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM

I'll defend Delta to a small extent. We typically don't fly on medical trips in coach but we've never had problems with getting the correct meal up front. I'd make sure to check in a day ahead to make sure the order is there and check with the gate agent again when you arrive. They'll bluster and say there is nothing they can do but when you explain the medical need, they should be willing to make sure that the order is on the flight attendant's paperwork. They may still miss the food but at least you've done all you can do.

We've brought food on every trip and never had security even look twice; except for cheese blocks. For some reason, they look suspicious on x-rays. Other than that, I wouldn't mention your food and be prepared to explain if they ask.

Added thought after the fact: Pastes also gives Security problems. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich probably works; bringing peanut butter and jelly to make one on the flight almost definitely will not work.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog

Last edited by annapurna; 01-25-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM

I've never traveled without food because of my daughter's allergy.
I've never had to throw anything away. No one has ever even mentioned it going through security. I think they have an eye out for liquids more than solid food.
We usually have GF pretzels, GF bread slices..in fact when I was in Cleveland, I bought 3lbs of corned beef to bring back home to my hubby. I don't know if any of you have had Slyman's corned beef but it's amazing (the only thing to miss in Cleveland). It's rated some of the best corned beef in the country. Joe told me how to freeze it for the trip home.
Put it in my carry on bag. No one said a thing.
Usually, when I fly to see my dad, I bring him a cheese that he likes that our Florida stores have that he can't find locally. Again, I've always put it in my carry on bag and no one has ever said a word to me.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 PM

Great news guys! Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 AM

You shouldn’t have any problems with anything you bring that’s not liquid, but just in case you do.... it looks like these guys are inside the international terminal. You should be able to take anything you get inside of the security checkpoint on the plane. I'm sure they'd be happy to cool/heat whatever you need. (especially if they forget your meal!).

http://www.sfsoupco.com/index.php?id=16&sort=glutenfree