ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 PM

Default How should a patient sit and lie down after a Hybrid surgery?

This seems to be a stupid question on my part but how should a hybrid patient spend his day sitting and lying down in between his exercises and walking?

How long should I lie down? Should this be done on a sleeping bed or is a couch ok?

When sitting, what type of chair and for how long?

Im only asking because I don't have a bit less pain from when my surgery was performed.

Just trying to make sure I'm doing everything correct.
Adr- L4-L3 with M6
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM

It doesn't matter, just keep your activity up as you can.

You'll need at least 6 months to get over a fusion, and even then you've had so much work done in there that things will be different from now on.

The pain will be pretty full on for a while yet, and will only lessen slowly.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Question

Jm, did you receive both written and verbal instructions on this question? It should have been spelled out very clearly by your medical team.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 PM

It was not in the written instructions regarding the exercise instructions. he did say that I should sit at 90 degrees straight back with proper support.

Personally its hard to sit at 90 degrees for awhile. I have a chair that they used to sell untill the company went out of business called "Backsaver" It reclines almost like an astronaut seat. I think Im worrying too much.

Happy New Years!
Adr- L4-L3 with M6
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Yeah, I think you are just worried. I completely understand. Just be sensible about it. Sit upright in a chair that doesn't recline and has a high back to it. Don't slouch or sit in a soft sofa, loveseat or chair that has little support. Know what I mean? You should be fine if you adhere to proper sitting posture. If you cannnot find what that is online, a physical therapist should be able to show you. Hang in there, Jmbeam. Happy New Year to you as well. Hopefully we all have a better 2013.

~Buckeyeback
July 17th 2013: L4/5 bone spur removal with Dr. Clavel
April 2019: L5/S1 Microdiscectomy/Foraminotomy
Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 AM

Default Hang in there

Had a hybrid surgery myself in 2011. The first 7 weeks were pretty much off and on miserable. The next couple of months after that got considerably better. Follow your precautions (no twisting, no extreme flexion/extension, etc), wear comfortable shoes, don't fall, keep doing your exercises, rest balanced with activity, keep your weight in check, eat healthy... if you had a successful placement of your hardware, it will get better!
I hope you have a very successful outcome in the end, and your pain-free goals are realized quickly. I couldn't be happier with my hybrid, but I know it feels like forever when you're still living in the healing process.
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Appreciate the kind words and advice. I feel better hearing that you were still pretty bad after 7 weeks, I'm still hurting but I think I'm starting to get a wee bit better.I have a couple of questions?

1)When were you able to see any calcification on the fused level?

2)When did you start outside Physical Therapy?
Adr- L4-L3 with M6
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbeam View Post
1)When were you able to see any calcification on the fused level?

2)When did you start outside Physical Therapy?

I had xrays at 6 months and 1 year. The radiologist locally didn't really comment specifically on calcification (I had the xrays in Indiana and I think they were just wondering what the heck they were looking at!) My overseas surgeon just would simply comment that everything was in good alignment, and they didn't say too much. I think they may have said some calcification was started in my 6 month xray. Even less was said at 1 year, but that was not my original surgeon. (A whole other unfortunate story.... my surgeon died).

I had therapy from day one, but I think Dr Clavel has a little different routine. I'm a therapist myself too, so I was constantly seeking help. I had therapy in England the whole stay - just walking the first few days, then pool therapy (which I overdid), then continued pool therapy for I think 12 weeks until I started land-based therapy to start core work and gentle stretching.
Hamstrings were very tight I remember!!!

Check out my blog for better details. I am so fuzzy on it all now. Just really enjoying being normal. It's all so worth it! If I ever need more work done in the future on another level (God forbid, but probably pretty likely), I would strongly consider going to Dr Clavel. You were in good hands with the very best materials out there!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM

So as a therapist you are saying I should most likely go with one at this time. The thing is when I do my exercises I really hurt the next day. So I back off for a day or so but it keeps occurring. After the exercise program I really hurt.
Adr- L4-L3 with M6
Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM

I would try to find a therapist that has knowledge of artificial discs if possible. (Not around here - I had to provide the info on what I had done, precautions, recommendations from the surgeon and the English therapists that saw me right after surgery). Mr Boeree recommended pool therapy only for the first 12 weeks (vs in-the-clinic therapy), but not sure what Dr Clavel feels about that. Can you contact him and see if he would have you do anything different, since you are having pain from it. Your surgery was extensive, so I'd get it straight from the expert if you can.