ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:06 PM

Did anyone have a bone density test in Europe before their surgery? I am wondering whether they're testing machines can scan the lower levels (l5, S1) of the lumbar spine or not. The DEXA scan didn't reach the lower lumbar spine and I was wondering about getting a more accurate reading rather than just inferring that the numbers are similar at other levels?
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 12-22-2004, 08:07 AM

Hey spotty
This probably does not help but my Doctor would not do ADR without a good outcome of the Bone Density Tests & mind was one level L5/S1
E-mail if you want more info
Best Wishes
Janie xxxxx
Old 12-22-2004, 04:46 PM

I'm wondering if your doc used a smaller scanning unit - there are portable types that won't cover the lumbar spine. Here's a good link to read about the procedure:

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/content/dexa.htm

Dr. Bertagnoli does the scans prior to surgery - and the equipment does cover the lumbar spine. I had another scan in the states post-op - everything, including my Prodisc levels, were scanned, but the Prodisc levels weren't read as part of the overall score.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:00 PM

I had 2 scans, one Dexa and one using some other type of machine. Both machines were stationary and didn't look to be portable. They tested L1-4 and that was it. I wonder if they are just saving money by not testing the entire lumbar spine. They only tested my left hip and not my right one also. I have some other people I know that had the same thing happen where the entire lumbar spine wasn't tested. Hummm...Well, I'll ask next time to have the entire lumbar spine scanned. Thanks for the link also.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy