ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-28-2006, 03:02 AM

I have Dr. Yue as my follow up and I went every month for three months then three months and now 6 months. Luckily my insurance has cov ered everything fromthe doctor visits and the xrays that were taken.
Maybe it is the way the doctor needs to code the visit for payment, just a thought. If anyone is thinking of going overseas I know Dr. Yue would be a followup doctor especially if you go to Dr. B I don't know if you chose Dr. Zeegers if he would, I would ask that question so you would know for sure.

Judy
ADR L5/S1
Diagnosed with Arachnoiditis 11/06
Old 05-28-2006, 03:30 AM

Hmm, Dr. Yue and Dr. B. are tight. Maybe it's the coding and relationship.

Enough to make me move back to CT eventually.

ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

Wow Biff, well said,

I agree with most everything you said. Going to Germany was a financial decision, based on the fact that since ins denied coverage, the cost in Germany, including airfare, etc. was half the cost of going it alone in the US. Coupled with the experience level of Dr. B and the vertebroplasty cement, I had to decide on no life or a chance for one, pretty much a simple decision.

I was actually scheduled for surgery with Dr. Regan and was assured that he would care for me post Dr. B op, prior to my going to Germany. He has cared for many of Dr. B's patients. The problem arose when I didn't have his requested mylogram. Apparantly he feels a patient should adhere to his advice only, despite whatever another doctor thinks. I may be paraphrasing but if Dr. R was unfamiliar with my level of damage, would it not have been more prudent for Dr. R to consult with Dr. B, thereby increasing his own knowledge, before ordering invasive tests? I was only 3 weeks post-op, had just left Germany with the blessings of Dr. B and his staff, and Dr. R wanted me to undergo more testing? I didn't and that's where the rift occured. I guess, we, the people, have no rights when it comes to any bureaucracy.

Now, in addition to being angry and frustrated with our entire health care system as described by Biff, I'm also angry and frustrated with individual doctors who think they are ...

So Biff, waiting until the US caught up with the rest of the world was not an option for me. And so far, my insurance has covered my post-op care... though Dr. R requires full payment regardless of what ins allows.

Good luck to us all, Dale
Old 05-28-2006, 11:56 AM

another doctor on the east coast that refers people and looks after them after returning from dr b is Dr. Richard Balderston of pa hosp. in philly pa
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 05-28-2006, 12:00 PM

Dale, does it make sense to you that a doctor who is willing to take you on as a patient would like to emliminate a potential (if not commmon) problem that may be identified with a myleogram?

Dr Regan is not alone asking for this test for patients of out of country adr surgeries. We have heard the same from other surgeons. It is a discovery process of elimination.

Bertagnoli has asked for the same test.

bob
Old 05-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Banned

Bob,

Yes, a mylogram is a valuable test. However, a consultation with Dr. B via email would have provided the knowledge, both specifically and in general, with which Dr. R was unfamiliar. If he then ordered the mylogram, I would have been more receptive to a test that has frequent side effects.

My condition was constantly and consistantly improving. I believe that asking for this test at 3 weeks was premature.

I also believe that any patient should have input into their own treatment. If a doctor is uncomfortable with that, they should tell you so and possibly refer you to another doctor, not just tell you that their protocol is different from Germany's and release you from treatment at four months.

I was not aware he 'dismissed' me until I asked for a prescription for xrays and was told that I was no longer his patient. I even had to wait more than 2 weeks for that response and never even received a reply when I asked exactly what that meant.

I don't think that this physician acted in his patient's best interests but I do appreciate seeing his concerns from another viewpoint.

Dale
Old 05-28-2006, 03:45 PM

Dale
In most states it is illegal for a Dr to abandon a patient which is essentially what happened here.
Here in our state if our drs decided to stop treating a patient for whatever reason they were required to send out a letter to the patient stating this and giving them the reason for doing so.
They were also encouraged to give the patient the name of other treating physicians that could help them in the future.
You might want to check into this. AMA governs a lot of this stuff as well as the CA Physicians board that they are members of.
I feel badly that you were treated that way. If he did not feel comfortable treating you whatever reason he had, then he should have informed you of this fact in writing.
Good luck to you!
I know first hand how hard it is to get a surgeon to see someone who has had any type of complication from surgery with another physician.
I had problems after my discectomy in 2003. I was turned away by just about every surgeon in Nashville due to the fact that "they did not seepatients that had surgery by another physician"
So what is a person supposed to do? Go back to the quack that caused you a problem in the first place?
No I dont think so. At one time my primary care physican and I were so distraught over this that she was ready to send me to someone over 2 hours away since we had so much trouble getting anyone to even look at me about the post op complications.
Luckily we found someone finally who would at least consult with me then I found Dr Blumenthal at TBI finally.
Anyway I know that doesnt help but at least you know you are not the only one that this has happened to.
I wonder whatever happened to The Hippocratic Oath?
Off my soap box now!
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion
Old 05-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

Kim,

I have no intention of lodging a complaint against Dr. R since I wouldn't him to reject future Germany patients because of me. I also don't view him as a quack, just someone who lost the art of communication in favor of his own agenda. Regardless of my feelings for the man, I do believe he is a skilled surgeon.

I did speak to his office last week, asking for my records, then sent him an email, repeating this request and asking for a referral.

I suppose politics enter every facet of life...

From you signature, your 2 level was recommended over a year ago. What is your status and how are you doing?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:04 PM

Dale
I hope to have some good news concerning this next week but want to wait til I have some more info before I post about this.
It seems I have been on teminal hold for a long time but some new things have opened up for me so keep your fingers crossed!
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion