ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:07 PM

I am writing again and check in on the boards of new advancements and to know I am not alone. I wanted to see if anyone has had any abdominal pain from long term use of pain medication. FYI... I take as prescribed/do not intake alcohol but have been fighting constipation. I will be going back to my doc to see if what is going on. I appreciate any related responses and wish everyone a peace of mind.

9/06 Facet block helped temporary was able to reduce 1/2 pain meds until 1/07
(Dr.Hanani)High Reccomendations
2/2006 - Right leg calf numbness/stinging pain- Microdisectomy l4/l5 good results for leg pain
2005 - Nucleoplasty - No Results
L3-L4 Moderate disc degeneration-A posterior fissure is present. A 4 mm central disc protrusion is noted. Mild hypertrophy of the facet joints. Mild spinal stenosis present,

L4-L5 Severe disc degeneration-A posterior fissure is present. Right paracentral posterior measuring 5 mm. Moderate hypertrophy of the facet joints. Mild spinal stenosis present.

L5-S1 Mild disc degeneration-A right posterolateral fissure is present. Mild 2 mm posterior disc bulge.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:17 PM

that is a common problem related to pain meds.

you might need to take something else to help offset that side affect.

I think I would have that problem but I have another med for something else that has the opposite side affect...so I think they offset each other out!

I know that when I use an interferential machine (similar to a Tens machine) it has the effect of reallly cleaning out my system if you know what i mean. Don't know if anyone else has experienced that.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 02-13-2007, 11:42 AM

I also suffer abdominal pain related to NSAIDs.When I was on a combination of Toradol and Naproxen it was brutal and I ended up in hosp. on I.V. pain meds a couple times.Now I take Pariet daily and that has helped a great deal with the abdominal pain, esophageal reflux and indigestion.I also make sure I eat something before taking meds ie.a couple of biscuits or soda crackers. Meds like Zantac are available over the counter, but you should speak to your physician about the pain you are having and he/she may prescribe Pantaloc, Pariet, Zantac, Cytotec, etc. used to treat the symptoms.

As far as the constipation goes, again related to pain meds, you can try an over the counter stool softener like Colace or take Prodium or Metamucil daily or as directed by your physician or pharmacist. I can't tolerate the Colace as I get vague lower abdominal pain/cramping and nausea. I take a combination of Calcium Citrate with Vit. D and Magnesium Citrate which not only helps with constipation but has decreased muscle cramps to my calves, shins and feet. Again, you should discuss the issue with your pharmacist/physician. You can also increase both your water intake and dietary fibre as well.
the usual... myelograms,MRI's,CT scans,xrays,EMG
epidural blocks
facet injections
"serious degeneration" L1-L2
Discogram - L1 - S1 -discogenic with L3/4,L4/5
Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the response, I did see the Doc today and I had a serious of blood test for liver, and stomach pain & U/S scan this week. over the course of a couple of years I had liver test and 3/4 came back normal, the abnormal was due to vicodin.. He slight hinted of the Gall blader possibility.... I keep an update
Thanks Mark
Old 02-13-2007, 11:25 PM

About a year ago I had to completely get off NSAIDS due to stomach pain and irritation. No damage was found however if I continued to take the medication even with a stomach protecter medication the stomach symptoms got worse. It's worth getting checked out.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy