ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 AM

I have not called him, I feel funny since my mother has gone back to work at the hospital. I don't want to make things uncomfortable for her.

Not jarring accident or event. Just very light weight weight training recently. Very light weight LOL

2005 - Double discectomy w/ fusion and cadaver bone at levels C5 & C6

2010 - ADR at level c4

2014 - ADR revision w/ Fusion & cadaver bones at C4
Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 AM

Kelly - Thank you. I believe it was a Prodisc

2005 - Double discectomy w/ fusion and cadaver bone at levels C5 & C6

2010 - ADR at level c4

2014 - ADR revision w/ Fusion & cadaver bones at C4
Old 04-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Default Placement

The remark above, about the large keel, lead me to think the same, and the comment from your doctor, about the bone being healthy.

This is a replacement, and does not have the large keel, this is a good idea for the neck.

Mobi-C One and Two Level Cervical Disc Replacement |LDR Cervical

You may want to contact the Company, directly, and ask for surgeons.

{Side Note, I would contact the Company directly, get a surgeon that can and has implanted these, with experience, you will get good results}

If you do not wish to contact someone in the EU, like Bierstedt, London Surgery, that could put in the M6.

All the Best,

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.

Last edited by Jerry5; 04-12-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 PM

Default Hang in there Lauren

Just wanted to say hi and hang in there Lauren. It seems some of us have received the job of guinea pigs for emerging technology, just the way the game of life evolves, I suppose. Its very apparent that many regular docs are very unaware of spinal and chronic pain issues, so it was a good thing you trusted your instincts to make some phone calls after the ER doc was ready to dismiss you!
I am also currently considering further options, and you can atleast consider yourself lucky if you can still reach your adr manufacturer for post op issues.
Welcome, hang in there and cheers
p.s. There are some very good resources on mind and mood control for chronic pain. I was required to take some classes by my insurance company , only to be surprised by the fact that it actually does work!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

Lauren, I am so sorry...this looks serious. Did you identify a surgeon yet who has revision expertise? Where are you located?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 PM

I am sorry for the position you and your disc are in. But what would happen if it came all the way out? I don't want to sound stupid but would it just be a collapsed vertebrae or would you be paralyzed. I don't want to come off as insensitive for asking and mean no harm, but I have never heard of this happening like this. Good luck and lots of Prayers.

6 months of PT
2 Right SI joint injections
3 L5-S1 injections
6 facets injections
Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Post Important topic -- but will be merged

Laura, just finding these same topics now on your dire situation -- pls post to this topic -- so we can follow and reply to you with better understanding and clarity.

Again, I merged the different topics that were in different places. They are all now here. We are here focusing and praying for you now!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 AM

This post is not aimed at lauren, but just to add further thoughts to the idea of replacing the prodisc with another ADR. Any talk of replacing a failed ADR with another ADR is sure to raise eyebrows and it certainly bothers me too, and I tend to scoff whenever anybody suggests it. In particular my concern would be the failure of adequate osseointegration. It would seem doubtful that the titanium coated prodisc had properly integrated, so could it be certain that another metallic disc design that solely relies on bone ingrowth for adequate fixing would be more successful? The two fusions obviously put a different perspective on things and if there is a viable ADR option it has to at least be worth a thought, since adding further fusions is known to carry increasing risks of trouble with adjacent segments. Replacement of the prodisc with another ADR can only be considered if it has a fixing to ensure the same thing does not happen again IMO, or at least to give peace of mind. Perhaps a good replacement ADR would be the Neodisc. It consists of a silicone nucleus wrapped in fabric and held in place at the front of the vertebra with screws so it cannot move. It has no keels, does not rely on osseointegration, placement error is minimised and it also requires minimal tooling for insertion. I know the neodisc is not news to most people here.

So sorry Lauren to see you in this situation and having to make such huge decisions when time is against you. It would be very good I think if you can get a consultation or two from top pioneering surgeons, perhaps ones outside the US that are not bound in too much red tape etc. just to see what they say as I think this is quite a rare case. It would be good to know what all your viable options are before making a decision, even if some options might not be unavailable to you.

Brian

Last edited by Discinterested; 04-21-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Brian, if you search Neodisc, pls share with us your impression of the outcomes. I have not done this in a while. That said, I've talked to a few patients with disastrous outcomes. I don't think the product is on the market -- I'll do a quick check and add another post.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Administrator

I have no news on the Neodisc since 2011. If you search, nothing since 2012. Lauren, back to you: have you found an experienced surgeon?