ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:43 AM

Has anyone had problems with scar tissue post-ADR?

I’m 14 months post op and have been having increasing abdominal pain and cramping in my lower abdomen. It was so bad that I was in the ER on Sunday with sharp pain. I’ve had a million tests and the doctors now believe that the pain may be caused by scar tissue from my surgery attaching to my lower intestines etc. I’m having more tests to determine if this is the case this week, but was wondering if anyone else had heard anything like this or experience it.

FYI – I had a front c-section incision
Thanks for the input.
ADR L5/S1 May 17th 2006 w/Dr. Bitan
http://adrrecovery.blogspot.com/
Doing GREAT and feeling very lucky!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Hey Texas T,

I am scheduled for 2 level ADR in August. However, I had a 5cm in my colon 10 years ago and had 8 inches of my colon removed. After surgery I had a hernia and they put a mesh in my stomach area. I know there is scar tissue all over my insides because I have twinges and pain but it ususally goes away if I stretch. Pain is a sign something is not right. I would push forward...immediately if you have vomiting, bowel problems or severe pain. I ended up in the hospital for 3 months because they ignored my complaints. By the time the Dr. diagnosed the mass in my colon it had perforated and gave me peritonitis after which I fired my doctor! I learned the hard way that you are your best advocate listen to your body it does tell you things. Let me know if you want any other info.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 AM

A friend of mine had a similar problem with scar tissue from her c-section performed 11 years earlier, causing significant groin pain and making it so that she couldn't exercise or walk for any periods of time. Strange that the scar tissue didn't cause her any problems until so many years later. She had a surgery to break up the scar tissue and she is now doing great and can exercise. I'm so sorry this happened to you - hope you can find a solution.
Onset of severe fibromyalgia in 6/95, undiagnosed for 2 years while lived in UK
About 1998 o
Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 PM

Thanks for all the information. I really appreciate it. I'm having a colonoscy tomorrow in the AM and seeing a general surgeon in the PM. Hopefully I'll have more anwers before the weekend. I had 2 other surgeries for Ovarian Cysts in my lower abdomen in the past 3 years so I know I've got a lot of scar tissue there. Fun, fun. I never thought about scar tissue being a problem post-op. Oh well, it's not 1/4 as bad as the back pain was. I can deal with this!

Tricia
Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

In the past few years, the topic of scarring has come up several times. To eliminate scar tissue, which can cause all kinds of little problems, there are several techniques available to patients. In no particular order, they include:

- Massage. You can learn how to do this yourself, there are certain ways to do this. Sometimes, you can ask the folks at the hospital and they can show you their styles/techniques. Of course, you can go to a trained therapist, some of these pros are specifically trained in scar reduction.

- Topical treatments. We’ve discussed using wheat germ oil, arnica and even castor oil. See this topic: http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7701036081/m/2...591077081#2591077081

- Stretching, exercize, Tai Chi, etc. It’s all good stuff! See http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7501036081/m/2...701045412#2701045412

- Cold laser therapy. Machines introduced in the past few years are better than the earlier versions that came out 10 years ago; they are surprisingly effective for scar & inflammation reduction.

Tricia, I know this is a weird idea, but I was speaking to a patient whose intestinal adhesions disappeared after a colonoscopy. Perhaps the inflation of the GI tract during the procedure mechanically repositioned her GI tract, breaking the adhesion. Try explaining the request for this “repair” to your doc?!

Hope this helps.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-14-2007, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info. Harrison. I'll be sure to look into it!

My colonoscopy was normal and I don't have any obstructions of the bowl, which is good. So now they have ruled everything else out.
I talked to the General Surgeon and he says I have the classic symptoms of abdominal adhesion. (Constant dull ache, nausea, increased symptoms with movement, frequent urination) They tell me that the only way to be sure that the problem is adhesions is to do laparoscopy and if adhesions are found, cut them. So the diagnosis is also the treatment. The surgery is low-risk and works about 50% of the time. Gotta love those odds! Also, there are no guarantees that the adhesions won’t grow right back, so some people end up having this surgery every few years.
Don’t worry; before I go under any knifes I’m getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion. The problem is I am in a lot of pain and am now taking vicoden; it hurts badly when I try to do my PT and move around. I’m running to the bathroom all the time and feel like I’m going to throw up half the day. (no , I’m not pregnant!) so, it’s getting old….
Since I’m already 14 months post-op do you think Thai Chi or massage would work at this point? Just curious…..When the doctors even touch my lower abdominal region I nearly toss my cookies, I don’t know if I could manage massage….
FYI – for those of you who have just had or are considering ADR, please don’t let this deter you. I’ve had 2 surgeries in my lower abdomen in less than 3 years in addition to ADR. Even if I have to have this additional surgery, I would have the ADR 10x’s over.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:49 AM

There are certain liquids they can put into you to stop the adhesions reoccuring -- -make sure they do this
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 PM

Hi Texas T,

I am happy to have found your post. I have similar problems 18 mths post-op! I have been complaining from my front area. It's a weird kind of pain. I could not do PT last year b/c my pain was increasing with any exercise. Then I went for a treatment of ayurvedic (massages/yoga) South of India in a Ayurvedic specialized hospital. Felt a lot better on my return and then few months later could not function anymore. Pain returned. Had to put back off work again. Lately, had started massage therapy along with LLLT (laser therapy)and the therapist tells me she feels a lot of scar tissue on my front left where the surgery was performed. Then I feel my ligaments/nerves (tightness/burning) which I think is distraction pain.

Could you describe (feeling) the actual pain of these scar tissues? Mine is itchiness/burning at the same time. Feel like stretch. When I do stretch, end up with more pain. Next day, end up resting b/c if not, my pain becomes extreme.

My doctor does not say much when I tell him about scar tissue. With your description, I find that my situation is similar to yours. Feel like nausea, pushing, frequent urination etc...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 PM

Wydase is the drug they can inject into scar tissue to help keep it from growing back and if they just do the injections into the scar tissue it will soften it and make them more flexible.

I had these injections after my first back surgery for scar tissue and they hurt really bad for about 4 days in the end there was to much damage in my back, however they did soften the scar tissue which caused other problems.

Ps I'm not sure how to spell Wydase
PT, gait training, Chronic pain
ADR 8/2/2007
Old 08-15-2007, 01:46 AM

Ok, I'm starting to get a little freaked out reading some of this. I think I might be developing hypochondria (sort of kidding). Is it normal inflammation, incisional hernia, abdominal adhesion...AHHHHHHH. Yikes. Perhaps I shouldn't try to self-diagnose and should just make the doctor do some kind of test.
physical therapy/pain med no success
Refuse Fusion
Bone scan shows L5-S1 pars defect will hold ADR @ L4-5
7/31/07 pro-disc L4-5 Dr. Robert Watkins Jr. Marina Spine Institute-Mari