ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 PM

Unhappy Potential ADR

Dr just recommended a 2 level ADR, but I was told by his insurance Expert that I can't get two levels done in Illinois. Yes, United Health Care is involved. Does any one know anything about Illinois still having a single ADR restriction? I am wondering if I traveled to anohter State (such as to the Cleveland Clinic) if they might not have the same restrictions?

She (the insurance Expert) does think I could get a single ADR (between C5 and 6) and a fusion between 6 and 7. I would prefer as would the Dr to do the 2 level ADR. And comments on doing 1 ADR and one fusion?
Right Paramedian bulge at C2-C3, Right Foraminal Stenosis central stenosis at C3 C4. The C4 -C5 level has mild stenosis involvement of the right Foraminal C5 C6 has more moderate stenosis centrally with right greater than left Foraminal stenosis
C6 C7 has mild central and right Foraminal stenosis, C7 - t1 has more mild degenerative change with out significant stenosis.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Byron,

Many folks in the states have multi-level, cervical artificial disc replacement. And many have had "hybrids" as well (fusion and ADR). Can you tell us a bit more about the radiologist's report of your cervical spine?

Also, you may have already seen this topic in Arthroplasty Central: ADR Risks, Complications, Disqualifications. If not, please read it carefully.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Byron,

My Surgeon made it very clear to me that the 2 level ADR is NOT FDA approved. Due to that, insurance companies will NOT cover it. I've heard people are having a hard time getting approved for a just a single ADR. That probably has to do with the make and type of disc seeing as how some are and are not approved by the FDA. The FDA is having trouble keeping up with the medical advancement of today.

~Liz
L3-4 Lrg herniation R leg pain, L leg numbness sometimes they switch it up. weakness both, tingling
L4-5 DDD w/sml herniation,loss height.
Injections
Discogram Pos L4-5
IDET L4-5 / PT
1st EMG pos.
Current MRI, X-Ray not much changed
2nd EMG Pos
12/08 possible 2 level ProDisc ADR
08-current Lost 75lbs
More PT/ Acupuncture.Currently PT @ home 3-4xs a wk. Light cardio using elliptical
2 level ADR on 4/20 been a bumpy road.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Default Sorry to hear

Hey Liz I am sorry to hear that you are going through all of this! I know what it is to feel too young for all of this stuff as well. I had an ADR placed last October. Hang in there! There is a lot of info and people that will help you here! Good luck and I hope you find relief soon!
Chiropractics, Ortho, PT, surgeon to neurologist to new surgeon.
6 years chronic pain and newer spasms.
MRI's, CT's, EMG, ESI's.
S1 nerve root deviation
Positive DDD L5-S1 discogram VAS 8/10
7.14.09 Signed up for Clinical Trial at TBI
for either a Prodisc-L or Freedom Lumbar Disc
Surgery: October 1st 2009
Recieved Prodisc-L
04-2010 Rhizotomy
12-2010 Rhizotomy #2
Old 03-03-2010, 11:25 PM

Actually, originally the doc wanted to do a double fusion C4 and , then C 6 and7)and place a single (C5 and 6) ADR in between the 2 fusions. Not quite what I hoped for. After we talked a bit, he agreed that caring for the two disks that are causing me the most problems was the right way to go. It seems that there are endplate changes on C 4 to C7, there is disk height loss at C 5, 6 and 7. with central stenosis and flattening on the GHT. Lot more info, but I m going wait to get a copy of the latest report before typing it out.

But he (the doc) also made it sound like they could do multiple ADR's in other states. I checked with the FDA his AM and Liz is correct, not here, not the US.

At any rate, it sounds like I may need to head overseas to get all of these disks repaired. I contacted Stenm Hospital this afternoon and I may try the one in India, if I can't get the insurance to cover any of this cost.

I had been OK, but my OXCod ran out two weeks ago and I am still waiting for the refills While they should be here by Friday, I didn't realize who much they hid the pain. I had my 7th Epidermal (in 3 years) on Friday, hoping that might help, but it hasn't and massive does of over the counter stuff doesn't help much at all. So, it is time (after 20 years) to do something about this. I would like to sleep laying down again before I leave this place. I haven't been able to do that with out 8 or 9 oxcod for years. And the Nuro doc tells me that the longer I stay on these pain pills the more likely I will still hve problems after getting my back fixed.
Right Paramedian bulge at C2-C3, Right Foraminal Stenosis central stenosis at C3 C4. The C4 -C5 level has mild stenosis involvement of the right Foraminal C5 C6 has more moderate stenosis centrally with right greater than left Foraminal stenosis
C6 C7 has mild central and right Foraminal stenosis, C7 - t1 has more mild degenerative change with out significant stenosis.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Sorry, I am now returning home after a business trip and reading this with weary eyes. Byron, of course, if you are qualified for multi-level ADR, you can get performed in the states. And it would be prudent to check with patients and surgeons who can help you with this big step. Many docs have performed both cervical and lumbar multi-levels in the US. I may be missing something, but feel free to contact me later this week.

Did you carefully review the the topic I provided?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Default Call the LA Spine Center

Hi there,
Just read about your plight - my doctors say they deal with a lot of out of state folks for a variety of reasons. And they have a ton of experience doing multi level cervical ADR. Not sure insurance will cover, but worth a call. I just had Lumbar ADR done and am beyond impressed with my care.

Look up Dr. Delemarter and Dr. Rasouli of the LA Spine Institute - Santa Monica and Beverly Hills / Cedars Sinai locations.

Good luck!
L4-5 herniation 1989
Years of Chiropractic allowed me to become a world class athlete in spite of this.
Cedars Sinai / Dr. Rasouli opinion Jan 2010
Axiomed Freedom Disc *clinical trial* - Feb 22, 2010
7 years later, Dr. Rasouli (my savior) had predicted with great accuracy when I'd need 2 level cervical ADR
Sept 29, 2017, became owner of 2 Prestige LP discs C5/6 & 6/7.