ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:43 PM

Default Newbie - A bit about me and why I'm here.

Hello.

First things first. I must say thanks to Richard for starting this forum and another big thanks for all of those here who make this site what it is. I just signed up today and am blown away by the wealth of information and experience here. It feels good to know that I'm not alone.

I'm a 33 year old male and I've been suffering with back pain for roughly 15 years now. I was a multi-sport athlete in HS and competed in football at the collegiate level. My back caused me problems back then, but I was a "tough-guy" and continued to play through the pain for years. I never wanted to sit out. Boy do I ever regret that.

Finally got to the point where I couldn't walk, sit, or pretty much anything physical and I came to the realization that I had to accept what was going on and find some way to fix it. My leg had excruciating pain and I could feel tingling all the way down into my toes. After consulting with 2 NS and 2 OS, I had my first surgery when I was 22. A discectomy on L5/S1. It helped the pain in my leg/butt area and the tingling in my leg ceased to exist, but since then I've been a mess. I've been dealing with the pain that's centralized in my lower spine now for years and have tried everything under the sun to alleviate it. Physical therapy (for ever), acupuncture, meds, chiropractor, spinal decompression, pain management, nerve blocks, etc, etc. I am now to the point where I realize that something else must be done. Again.

My appointment earlier this week was with the chief neurologist at one of the top hospitals in the country. I have accelerated DDD in L4/L5 & L5-S1 among a host of other problems in the lumbar area. (Multilevel degenerative facet disease, mutiple bulges,etc) He said I was a perfect candidate for a 2 level ADR, however my insurance will not cover it. (Anthem BC/BS in CA) Next best option is the fusion of course. And that lead me here.

I'm here to learn more about the ADR vs. Fusion debate and find out which one works best for me. The neurologist was a strong proponent of ADR and thought that would be the best route to take. After talking to my family, I think I'm gonna go forward with the appeals process. I am inspired by many of you who have won your appeals and I plan on doing the same. I ordered the Insurance Warrior book and CD last night to get me on the right path. I am also planning on ordering the "Getting back on your feet" DVD. I saw the trailer and could completely identify with all of the patients in that clip. There was one gentleman who said that it changed who he was. I feel like that's happened to me. I used to be Mr. Active...playing hoops, baseball, softball, golf...you name it. Now that's just an after thought. I think I lost my happy-go-lucky sense too as it's hard to feel that way when chronic pain is always at the forefront of your mind. I yearn for the day where I can do anything physical...and do it pain free.

Again...just wanted to say thanks to you all out there. You give me hope.

Brandon
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome

Thanks for your kind words. I searched through some helpful topics for you, these may be of interest:

ADR Risks, Complications, Disqualifications

Degree of Facet disease before turned down for TDR

Is ADR the best option at L5-S1????

ADR - Would You Do It Again???

ADR Risk - "facet" issues?

There are many more posts, of course, but these are a good start. Hope this helps.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-25-2009, 03:32 PM

Harrison -

Thanks so much for the links and for helping point me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

~Brandon

PS. Todd...thanks for the kind wishes. I already feel a sense of community here in my short time on this forum.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:04 AM

Default what you have learned

Hey there, I read through your intro and I am just wondering where you are on your learning process. You were going to order some books and the video. Have these things helped you? I hope you are on your way to finding some relief!
Chiropractics, Ortho, PT, surgeon to neurologist to new surgeon.
6 years chronic pain and newer spasms.
MRI's, CT's, EMG, ESI's.
S1 nerve root deviation
Positive DDD L5-S1 discogram VAS 8/10
7.14.09 Signed up for Clinical Trial at TBI
for either a Prodisc-L or Freedom Lumbar Disc
Surgery: October 1st 2009
Recieved Prodisc-L
04-2010 Rhizotomy
12-2010 Rhizotomy #2
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Thanks Beth. I appreciate it. I have not yet ordered the video, but I did get Laurie Todd's book and CD. (The Insurance Warrior). I read the book cover to cover the first night that I got it. It's a great book and lays out a blueprint for successful appeals in a very succinct and plausible manner. Her own personal story is incredible....as are the cases that she has helped people to win. No doubt.

My issue unfortunately is that I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and from what I can ascertain, they simply do not approve disc replacement surgery. Period. I have spoken at length with 3 neurosurgeons over the past month and they each have laid out a very compelling case that a battle with BC/BS for a 2 level ADR will ultimately cost a lot of time and heartache....and in their opinion (based on their own experiences in their own practices) will end with a flat-out denial. In fact the last NS that I saw relayed that the latest literature from BC/BS stated that they will only entertain covering ADR's when there have been 10 year trials completed. We're at least another 5 or 6 years away from that. I don't have that long. I've been living with chronic, debiliatating pain from my last surgery for 10 years and I'm at my wit's end. I don't have another 2 or more years to try to win an appeal. And I certainly don't have another 5 or 6 for a "maybe". Of course the other option is heading to Germany, but I simply don't have the $40K-$50K that it would take. It truly is overwhelming.

I've spent an awful lot of time researching the ins and outs of ADR, but have yet to do the same for 2 level lumbar fusions. I am starting that process right now as it appears that this will be my only shot at getting some relief.

Unless of course there's anybody out there who has proof that their Anthem BC/BS PPO plan in CA approved a 2 level ADR....??? I may be missing something and my doctors may be missing something too, but I have yet to see that precedent set.

It's enough to make a grown man cry. Sorry...just feeling a bit disheartened today.