ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:45 PM

Default Prodisc l4-l5, l5-s1 2007

Hello everyone, its been 3 years since my surgery and it has been a lot of ups and downs but it still has been worthwhile. I am fighting increasing nerve pain in my back at the operative levels. I have had myliogram and cts. Ive had injections to my s1 joint and to my facets with no relief.

I do however feel my problem lies in my facets but because the injections didnt help Im left believing it on my own. The reason for my belief is the fact that during my injections I felt the injection where my pain was at. Has anyone ever had a negative result from injections? I am scheduled for another myliogram and a emg this week and am very doubtfull that they will find anything. My surgeon did a perfect job installing my discs Ive had them checked and they are perfectly aligned and set. They did find small bone spurs but said they were to small to effect my nerves. Also could it be from trauma from my original injury? Just would like some input. Just so Im clear the two level disc implant helped a bunch and I would do it again in a heartbeat but if my pain keeps increasing I will have to quit my job.

Thanks for listening, and I am a terrible typer so just be patient with me!

Chris
2 level prodisc 2007
Old 12-26-2010, 09:03 PM

False injection results are common, especially with average docs but occasionally even withe the best needle jockeys out there. You're doing the right kinds of things to check to see if you've got bone damage or advanced arthitis or nerve damage. If nothing shows up with those tests, you might find that you're irritating the sacs that surround the facet joint. Each joint has a sac-like structure. If you have slightly wrong or too much movement, you can tug on those sacs and lead to facet pain, even without any visible arthritis. There's not much to do to deal with it, though. Core strengthening, rhizos to deal with the pain and possibly prolotherapy to strengthen the connective tissue at those levels are the only things I can think of.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the pointers. When I was injected in the facets my doctors were going to do a ryzo but because of my negative reaction they said I was a poor canidate. They were also contemplating doing a fusion without removing my ad's. I have tried core strenghthening and stretches but it dosent help with the nerve pain. I really would prefer to stay away from any drugs as I dont like long term medications.

I am currently in a heavy lifting type of job and am also contemplating moving to a desk job as a last option. I was also contemplating acupuncture but am very scepticle. My surgeon has told me that I am not a home run patient and I feel he would just rather get rid of me as a patient. Hes a great surgeon but a terrible doctor. And as a final question what does a emg actually do? Thanks Chris.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Chris,

Here a link to help you with the question on EMGs:

EMG (electromyogram) Test Information on MedicineNet.com
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-27-2010, 05:30 PM

EMGs test nerve conductivity. Pinches or damaged nerves affect conductance. It's pretty much the gold standard for determining that kind of damage but, unless you pay someone to do a full job, it isn't easy to figure out what area the damage is in. The neurologist in Munich Laura saw spent about 3-4 hours continuosly to complete the job.

Accupunture is a good way to deal with short-term flare-up but it doesn't fix anything so you should only go that route if you have a plan for yourself and just need to buy time until it works.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Default nerve pain after surgery

Chris-
I too have nerve pain that shoots down my legs and have a prodisc at L5-S1. I have had 2 rhizotomies after the big surgery and they help me so much. Ana is right about having negative injections. I too had them. Actually for the rhizotomy you have to have 2 out of 3 positive nerve blocks to have the surgery but none of the "___caine" medications work on me. (the dentist is a nightmare!) But after figuring that out we were able to work around all that.

The Rhizotomies have saved me! I too have a very physical job and it helps me keep going! My issues are probably different as we all are so different, but I wanted to lend my 2 cents for the rhizotomy. I have facet syndrome at L5-S1 and we are not sure what came first.. chicken and the egg type deal.

I am very sorry to hear about your doctor! It would be very difficult to not have his support and have him behind you in your back pain journey. Is there any one else in your area that can help you?

Sending you best wishes!!
Beth
Chiropractics, Ortho, PT, surgeon to neurologist to new surgeon.
6 years chronic pain and newer spasms.
MRI's, CT's, EMG, ESI's.
S1 nerve root deviation
Positive DDD L5-S1 discogram VAS 8/10
7.14.09 Signed up for Clinical Trial at TBI
for either a Prodisc-L or Freedom Lumbar Disc
Surgery: October 1st 2009
Recieved Prodisc-L
04-2010 Rhizotomy
12-2010 Rhizotomy #2
Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 PM

Just got back from my mylogram and emg and learned not to schedule them on the same day what a mistake. I dont get the results till next week so Ill keep on waiting. My mylogram though was a little interesting, when it was over I rolled over and my nerve pain in my back and down my legs was horrible. I have had one before and had a little discomfort but this was ten fold. The only thing I could figure was the pressure from the injected dye was increasing my pain. Has anyone else had this problem?

My doctor wasnt there at the time but all the radiologist said was my spine seemed in good shape but no one has seen the cts yet. Hope they can get this resolved.

Thanks for listening! Chris
Old 01-04-2011, 01:23 PM

I recieved my results from my tests and was dissapointed because they couldnt find anything that was out of the ordinary. My doctor wants me to be treated for chronic back pain and wants to be rid of me. I honestly dont know what to do other than take a less laborous job. I cant lift over 50lbs or sustain bending if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. I realize the severity of my accident didnt help but I have to try.
Thanks Chris