ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 PM

also have been experiencing RIGHT foot pain/aches at the top of the arch and also at the knuckle area of the toes accross the top of the foot. This has been going on for about 1 week.

Not so much cramps, sharp type of pains. Sometimes just a sharp pain at the top of my big toe. It varies.

I suppose it could be the way that I walk sometimes -- But the pain doesn't necessarily occur when I'm walking.
I'm post-op 31 days.
Male, age 42, Hgt 6’ 1”, 195 lbs, Non-smoker, active retail sales manager, pain pre-ADR was chronic & "energy reducing".
02-01-08 Pain levels dropping. Energy good. getting Activity back.
05-02-08 Return to Work
05/08-05/09 Significant anxiety and depression due to loss of job (25 years).
08-16-09 Accepting pain levels of 4/5 at L5 area and left butt / upper left leg areas (charlie horse type of feeling).
Old 11-19-2007, 07:47 PM

Terry,
Well I'm glad that I posted then if it helped you figure out about your foot pain. I'm pretty sure that I got it over time from the pressure of standing all the time rather than sitting. I was told that the tears are microscopic but they sure don't feel that way! Good luck in getting treatment and please don't wait because it only gets worse.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 11-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Cramps can also come from lack of certain minerals, I believe, as well as salt and as already mentioned, dehydration; however, I can't remember what these minerals would be. Those of you with cramps might ask your doc or a health food store expert about this - pretty sure there are supplements that some of you could take which would put an end to your cramps. I would also agree with Harrison that if you have a myriad of 'strange' symptoms, you may have an underlying problem which needs to be treated and then the various 'symptoms' would resolve - that was the case with me; however, I never had cramps. Sure hope you all can get to the bottom of these cramps. They sound nasty.
Onset of severe fibromyalgia in 6/95, undiagnosed for 2 years while lived in UK
About 1998 o
Old 11-20-2007, 02:15 PM

I don't really think the plantar facitis (sp?) hits home with me. My arches don't hurt while I'm standing or walking. Someone else mentioned the low salt intake to me. I have been on a low-sodium diet, so that raised a red flag for me. I take a multi-vitamin daily, extra Calcium with D, and an herb supplement to keep me regular. Right now I'm trying to raise my salt intake and stretch. I'm going to ask Dr. tomorrow at my appt. See how he weighs in. Will let you know what he says.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:50 PM

I'm just damaged goods . Too many years of abuse on the old body and now it is getting even. Oh well. At least I've lived a good life with most of the hair rubbed off of me and now all used up . Some never take any risks or live life to the fullest. Probably most of us here were adventurers. I have a feeling most of us would be on the space shuttle exiting orbit if possible.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 AM

Hi CindyLou,
I had this problem. At first I thought it was a lack of Calcium, which can cause Charly-horse spasms. However, I have been going to see a Naturopathic (sp?) Dr. and she tested me for mineral deficiencies. I was very low in Magnesium. She put me on total of 2-4 grams (2,000mg to 4,000mg) of Magnsium Citrate (the easiest form to digest)in 2-3 doses a day. Take the highest amount you can handle without causing diareah. Also Magnesium binds with Calcium so the body can use. Not only did this help with my nightly foot cramps, it has also been a big help at lowering my other pain problems. Hope it works for you.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Hi Cindylou,

Give yourself few weeks with the salt issue and magnesium too. With my cramps, salt played a big role. As soon as I increase my intake, slowly the cramps started to disappear.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM

Rosie and Eileen, thank-you for the suggestions. I am still trying to add extra salt to my diet, but it is a little harder than it seems, you think, Rosie? And it's hard for me to imagine being low in magnesium, what with being on Fosomax (to improve bone density), extra 500 mg Calcium with D daily, and all the milk products I consume. Can you get your magnesium levels checked thru blood work?? Thanks again.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:31 PM

Hi CindyLou-
To increase your daily salt intake you may want to try adding one half teaspoon of sea salt to your tongue every morning. A massage therapist
recommended I try this and there's a book advocating it:
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Health-Healing-Youre-Thirst...id=1196301225&sr=1-1

I drink gallons of water a day but don't retain it because of the lack of salt in my diet.
I have not read the book but I have increased my intake of sea salt and magnesium (magnesium also helps prevent migraines which i have along with the back benefits). Of course cal/mag is also great for the health of our bones.

If your not into the direct salt maybe try increasing your sea salt intake through Amy's organic foods or other foods with fairly high sea salt concentrations and see how that goes. I assume you do not have high blood pressure.

Potassium may help with the cramping too. Years ago I used to eat a potassium rich bar and drink gatorade an hour before running to help w/leg cramps and it worked! Now I eat a banana LaraBar every morning which has 460mg of potassium.
I've yet to suffer from any cramps post-op, and hope i never will, but I have enough other pains!

Good luck!
Liz
2009 L4-5 Prodisc ADR removed and revised to XLIF w/posterior instrumentation
massive hemorrhage from tear of inferior vena cava at right iliac vein due to adhesion from Prodisc op
2010 not fused; as a result of complications permanent nerve damage to lumbar plexus causing severe rt leg, hip, groin pain