ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Default ADR for L3-S1 w/Dr. B. on 02/02/10 ?advice??

Hi, I'm Kendra a 34 year old female in Washington State. I've had back problems for 19 years after a car accident and discetomy of L4/L5. Now after having a beautiful baby boy I am in so much pain. My Neurosurgeon recommends ADR and I had a fusion secheduled, but he told me if I was his daugher, he wouldn't do the surgery. I've read good stories and horror stories. I'm so scared, but I can't live this way any longer.

My surgery is Feb. 2nd. Do you have any words of wisdom for me? I have Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield and I have Group Health insurance. I will work on appealing both. Does anyone have any good letters they can send me. Of course, I will go to all the right places, but....

Good luck to all of you who read this, it's not a fun road but at least we have each other.

K

Prodisc-L on L3-S1 on 01/29/10
in Germany with Dr. Bertagnoli.
Car accident in 1991 discetomy of L4-L5
Reinjure at work in 2000
Birth of son 2008 reinjure
Meds: Oxycodone, Baclofen, Cymbalta, Celebrex
Old 01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Hi Kendra, sorry you are here -- but you are right -- we are here for you! If you can stand the pain of sitting and typing, pls tell us a bit more about your present pain: where, when, how bad, how you've managed it to date. Also, how bad are your spinal discs and spine?

Congrats on the baby boy! I am glad you made it through the delivery OK. Some women here have had similar concerns both before and after surgery; I'll see if I can find them here or in my notes. Assuming your outcome is good, it may be wise to consider surgery now rather than later; but this is tricky with new kids. I am sure you've thought about this in spades and we have discussed this issue many times.

Kendra, when you can, pls visit the User CP (upper left) and update your profile by adding a short signature describing your spine. I know it's a pain, but it helps us quickly assess your situation so we can respond appropiately.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Kendra,

This is a very scary situation. I had L3-4 and L4-5 done and it was the hardest decision I had to make. However, I had no where else to go. I was literally at the end of my rope looking at never working again, losing my house and my life going nowhere. Multi level fusion was not an option and with multi level ADR, I knew I had at least a 60 to 70 percent chance of success.

There is a risk but you have to look at where you would be if you do nothing. If all you have are the bulging discs and no real problem with your facets, then you will more than likely do well. There are many excellent doctors and discs out there.

I wish you God speed in your recovery.

Mark
Multiple facet blocks and epidurals
L5-S1 annular tear 8-08 lased with ELD
October 08 back to work
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 PM

Kendra,

Being young, your age will help tilt the odds more in your favor. If you have not already done so, get at least 3 opinions from 3 different groups of surgeons. Sometimes if they are all in the same office, they tend to think alike. Find someone who has experience with the type of surgery and prosthetic devices you chose.

When you get pain free, let me know and I can give you some info on making it easier to get off opioids.
Had minimally invasive PLIF with internal fixation on 12/28/09 for isthmic spondylolisthesis of L5-S1 (TDR contra-indicated) DDD at L3-4 & L4-5, All L-Spine doing well. Episodes of no pain at all. After being relatively pain free for 4 months, C-Spine gave up. MRI due 11-1
Old 01-23-2010, 03:24 AM

Oh, you're too young. I agree to find docs who aren't too "inbred". I don't know if your insurance can cover this but lots of people in WA come to LA to see some highly respected docs for opinions who know ADR and other means well. This is such a huge decision that I hope you can pull this off. But if you've made your mind up re: Germany, more power to you. I hope people will be more than forthcoming in sharing insurance information re: dealing with insurance companies. One start of course is Laurie Todd but I misplaced her book now; you can find her online and she might even email you. I'll try to find it.

My very best - ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 PM

Default My experience was very bad.

I had surgery with Dr. B on L3-S1 and it ruined my life, but that is just me. If I could turn back time, I would have done a hybrid here in the states. 2 of the 3 subsided and I was discarded after spending nearly 60k. I was young and active and now can't sit or lay down with pain in my legs. I am much worse off and now need a revision. I will leave it at that. I am getting about 5-6 opinions and hoping to find the best surgeon to help reverse what he did. I know of quite a few people who had bad experiences with Dr. B, but then again, I hear if they are good, they don't come on here. I am just letting you know that my experience has destroyed my life, but it might be perfect for you. No refunds, no gaurantees and the followup for me was awful. I had to have a layperson tell me my discs were subsiding as his assistant overlooked it and he does not do his own follow-ups. Just a risk you have to take. I fell through the cracks and am now being told by 2 doctors they all need to be fused. If I was you, I would continue research for someone in the states. There are plenty of very qualified surgeons in the USA. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrak View Post
Hi, I'm Kendra a 34 year old female in Washington State. I've had back problems for 19 years after a car accident and discetomy of L4/L5. Now after having a beautiful baby boy I am in so much pain. My Neurosurgeon recommends ADR and I had a fusion secheduled, but he told me if I was his daugher, he wouldn't do the surgery. I've read good stories and horror stories. I'm so scared, but I can't live this way any longer.

My surgery is Feb. 2nd. Do you have any words of wisdom for me? I have Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield and I have Group Health insurance. I will work on appealing both. Does anyone have any good letters they can send me. Of course, I will go to all the right places, but....

Good luck to all of you who read this, it's not a fun road but at least we have each other.

K
Old 02-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Default Had my surgery

I had the 3 ADR surgery and I'm 2 weeks post op and feeling great! So glad I went for it, Dr. B in Germany is amazing!

Prodisc-L on L3-S1 on 01/29/10
in Germany with Dr. Bertagnoli.
Car accident in 1991 discetomy of L4-L5
Reinjure at work in 2000
Birth of son 2008 reinjure
Meds: Oxycodone, Baclofen, Cymbalta, Celebrex
Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM

Default wow

Did you also have pain down your leg or legs?? Is that still there??
I never really got rid of that pain after my discetomy/laminectomy.
Did you have a post op appointment with Dr. B??
thanks! v
2010 extreme sciatica
2010 discectomy/laminectomy
2011 extreme lower back pain sciatica on both sides but more on the right.
taking dicloflonic, soma and hydrocodone
NuVasive clinical trial with Dr. Eric Spayde
10-21-2011 XL TDR surgery anterior incision right side
With discectomy revision on left side
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Lightbulb

Victoria, you may be better served by sending a PM to kendrak -- many people don't reply to posts because they move on with their lives. This post is from appr. 18 months ago. Also, some patients are literally coaxed into posting on various boards; so take any post (here et al) with a grain of salt.

That said, folks here are especially helpful and sincere; though the community is mostly transient. Spend some time reaching out to people by email or PM, you'll see what I mean.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate