ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:06 AM

Question 2 Level ADR on 8-12-09 after Work injury. Getting nervous!

After getting hurt at work and dealing with a lot of BS Im having surgery in a few weeks. My 1st meeting with surgeon went really fast and I was bombed with too much info. I had never even heard of ADR. My father had a C4-5 C5-6 fusion 9 years ago at age 49, Im 35. We are both Ironworkers. His fusion forced him out of work. The surgeon says I will be back to full duty work in 3 1/2 months. After hours of research online I have a ton of questions for the doc at pre-op. What brand of disc? Is 2 level even FDA approved? Am I a trial? He is a very reputable surgeon. He did my dads surgery and thats why I chose him.

If anyone can provide me with more info, advice, questions to ask etc. Fire away. I have never had any kind of surgery and am really nervous.

Thanks
MRI - C4-5 and C5-6 herniated
7-9-09 Neurosurgeon sets date for 2 level ADR
7-20-09 Work Comp approves surgery
8-3-09 CT Scan and Pre-OP
8-12-09 Surgery
Old 07-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Exclamation Welcome

Sorry for the late welcome! BTW, when is your pre-op appointment? It's good you have questions for your doctor, but I hope your apppointment is not one day before the surgery...?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 AM

My CT Scan & pre-op is August 3rd. My surgery is August 12th. Im preparing a list of questions for the doc. We were hurried on our 1st appointment, a patients husband had a heart attack in the exam room. Things were crazy. Thanks for the reply, I am seriously nervous about this. If you can add any questions to what I should ask the surgeon or have any advice it would be more than welcomed.
8-12-09 Surgery
Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 PM

If you are having them in the states, they are more than likely prodiscs. They have a good track record. As to getting back in 3 and a half months, maybe. Some do and some don't. It took me 6 months before I could go back to work and with no pain and no drugs. Also necks seem to do better and heal quicker than lower backs. Also, you could be getting the prestige discs. Just noticed it was your neck. Anyway, I don't know of any insurance company paying for anything other than a single level cervical disc. No one pays for 2 level and actually, a two level has'nt really been approved by the FDA except in cases where your doc thinks it is of utmost importance. But, if you have the money, they will do everydisc in your spine.

Mark
Multiple facet blocks and epidurals
L5-S1 annular tear 8-08 lased with ELD
October 08 back to work
Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. Im not sure which disc the doc will be using. The Prestige looks kind of scary to me. The bryan looks more like a real disc. The doc submitted to my employers workmans comp insurance what he was going to do. 2 disc replacement. They approved it last monday. I was shocked. I hope all goes well. I really dont think i will be back to normal work in 3 months. My job consists of constant bending over and carrying up to 100 lbs of steel 8 hours a day. Hard work but I love it!
8-12-09 Surgery
Old 08-04-2009, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up Just had pre-op. 2 Level Prodisc-C, Prestige Combo 8-12-09

Had the pre-op and things went pretty well. I had plenty of ?'s for the doc. Said ct scan looked good, no arthritis. I did have to sign a conflict of interest form stating that he is a shareholder in the clinic and he does get some financial income from certain companies, including Medtronic. I asked him what discs he would be using. Will be 2 pro-disc Cs or possibly a prodisc C, Prestige combo. He likes to do the combo because it really "secures" everthing. He would decide which path to take once he gets inside and makes a call on what would be best.

When I asked if 2 Levels were common, he said "If you come to me YES, if you go else where probably not. Ive been doing them for years now and average 5 a month."

He pulled me off all drugs a month ago and its been HELL. Was taking 3 flexeril and 4 norcos a day. Now its just advil and that stops tomorrow.

I will be so glad when all this is over. The doc did decide to take me off work completely for 3 months instead of sending me back on "light" duty in 6 weeks like he told me at last appointment. Im a Union Ironworker and Light duty is hard to come by. My employer has been really good finding me things to do up until surgery. Im sure he just doesnt want to risk me messing things up.

Will give everyone an update next week.
8-12-09 Surgery
Old 08-07-2009, 10:19 AM

I had my ADR on July 10 so I understand just how nervous you can be. I was in alot of discomfort especially in the evenings. I haven't taken any pain meds since leaving the hospital. I am still somewhat uncomfortable but not so much that I feel the need for pain meds. The worst part of the whole thing for me was my allergies, they make me cough alot and the first week or so after the surgery was very painful in my back and shoulders because of that. For the most part I am very happy with my outcome and I am sure you will be as well. Once it is over with you will start to feel better each day, just take it easy and don't try to do to much. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM

Iron782,

Good luck on the 12th. I had two Prodisc C's put in 14 months ago and am so glad I did. I was back to work in 3 weeks and really never looked back. You will have bumps in the road, some minor setbacks and some minor pain for the first week or two. Just take things very slow and allow your body to heal.

Diagnosed with DDD in Nov, 2007. MRI, EMG
C3/4 C4/5 C5/6 C6/7
Surgery 06.04.08--C5/6 and C6/7 with Prodisc was a success.