ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Question Sign of our times?

I don’t know if this is good news or bad, but I think it’s a sign of our times: that we have so many people going abroad for health care treatments. Personally, I think it’s an indictment of the many gaps in our broken healthcare system.

Maybe this is an example of a “market-based” solution? Your BCBS insurance will cover you…as long as you go to a low cost, overseas, (potentially) high risk provider?! I say this with both serious and sarcastic intent as the big providers are seriously considering this option, with some already offering this alternative with incentives to subscribers!

Medical Tourism Facilitator Healthbase Announces Partnership with JCI Accredited Hospital in Germany
http://www.pr-inside.com/medical-tourism-facilitator-healthbase-announces-r1552772.htm
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I don’t know if this is good news or bad, but I think it’s a sign of our times: that we have so many people going abroad for health care treatments. Personally, I think it’s an indictment of the many gaps in our broken healthcare system.

Maybe this is an example of a “market-based” solution? Your BCBS insurance will cover you…as long as you go to a low cost, overseas, (potentially) high risk provider?! I say this with both serious and sarcastic intent as the big providers are seriously considering this option, with some already offering this alternative with incentives to subscribers!

Medical Tourism Facilitator Healthbase Announces Partnership with JCI Accredited Hospital in Germany
http://www.pr-inside.com/medical-tourism-facilitator-healthbase-announces-r1552772.htm
Sure wished my insurance would cover overseas. They do not unless it is an emergency.
The don't have as much trouble with ambulance chasing lawyers overseas.
Had minimally invasive PLIF with internal fixation on 12/28/09 for isthmic spondylolisthesis of L5-S1 (TDR contra-indicated) DDD at L3-4 & L4-5, All L-Spine doing well. Episodes of no pain at all. After being relatively pain free for 4 months, C-Spine gave up. MRI due 11-1
Old 10-31-2009, 03:26 AM

I wonder if they would cover Dr. Pimenta in Brazil.

Don't know anything about the facilities there but always wanted to go there.

Yeah, "tourism" - loaded on pain killers, barely able to move..
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:47 PM

Default Medical Tourism

Hello All. I would not plan on doing any "touring" when going overseas, at least not for ADR. While I felt good after my surgery I sure wasnt up to seeing the sights in India. My plan was go in, get fixed, get the hell out. I did work with Healthbase. The only good thing I see happening with medical tourism is that eventually when enough Americans abandon the U.S. healthcare system they will finally start to have to compete. As an example, my young daughter was in a car wreck two weeks ago. The ER billed her insurance for 12,397.26 for a full body CAT scan. Same test in India was 600.00. There is something seriously wrong here. Yes, I am anti US healthcare. I hope I never have to go to a Dr. in the US again, and will only do so in an emergency.

Piglet