ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:26 PM

I am new to this website, and am so grateful for all the information I've recieved. Could someone send me contact information for Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany? Also I would like to hear from former patients of his as to your opinion of your treatment; this includes complaints. Thanks, Dorothy
Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dorothy:
I am new to this website, and am so grateful for all the information I've recieved. Could someone send me contact information for Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany? Also I would like to hear from former patients of his as to your opinion of your treatment; this includes complaints. Thanks, Dorothy
Dr. Bertagnoli's main web site in Germany is http://www.pro-spine.info/

Dr. Bertagnoli's contact page is: http://www.pro-spine.info/en/Contact/

Dr. Bertagnoli may also do spine surgery at the AlphaKlinik in Munich http://www.alphaklinik.com

Do you have cervical or lumbar issues? One (1) or more levels?

Suggest also look for surgeons in your area. Chicago -> Rush. Texas, Texas Back Institute, Plano(?) ...

You asked for patient input on the ADR treatment. Suggest you will read accolades and complaints for the same surgery, same level(s) in the spine and the same surgeon. Fusion is a valid option, but ADR has better outcomes statistically short to medium term. My limited view is ADR / TDR is faster to recovery, appears to have a better short-, medium-term outcomes physically.mentally and reduces the risk of adjacent segment disease. The results from ADR appear to get better over time, much like Total Hip Arthroplasty (THA).

I think ADR in the Cervical spine has more improvement over cervical Fusion than shown in the ADR in the Lumbar spine compared to Fusion. The lumbar FDA IDE Trial for ProDisc showed a marginal improvement over fusion outcomes, but statistically significant. The Flexicore (lumbar) results are just published.

Take care, best wishes,

Slackwater -->
ps: I ~might be prejudiced because I know SimonW from sailing. SimonW had 2-level ADR (L4/5, L5/S1) Feb 2, 2007 & he took no narcotics < 30 days after surgery. SimonW was riding his motorcycle and racing a sailboat < 60 days after surgery.

----------------------------------------------------------

slackwater_sf
2004 MVA, 2-level lumbar surgical candidate
Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Hi Dorothy,

I am three weeks post op from Dr. B in Straubing. I had two level l4-l5-s1 and am still recovering. Overall it was a positive experience. You can read my webstie for more details and feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Cheryl
Feb 2008 Prodisc L4-S1 Dr. B, Straubing Germany - SUCCESS
Now I have cervical pain, heading down the same path
Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 AM

Hi Dorothy,
I had my 3 level lumbar ADR with Dr. B last April 07, almost one year ago. My only complaint was the surprise of moving my surgery up. I never received the memo, as they say, and when my husband and I arrived at the hospital (surgery was to be the following day) to check in, etc., I was suddenly bombarded with the intake physician, the nurse giving me "go lightly," and all of them saying my surgery was right then. As I look back, it was probably good that I didn't have time to think about it. But it was a bit jarring for my husband, the surprise of it all. Somewhere, someone had a communication break down for sure. All that said, Dr. B was an excellent surgeon, and I felt in very capable hands. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:11 AM

I had 3 lever cervical ADRs performed by he and his team nearly one year ago to the day. The pre-operative communication while I was still in the U.S. was very slow in responding to queries I had and I know others have had the same problem. However, once I got there, the care was better than I've received in the UK or in the US. It was a fantastic experience. I am definitely better as a result of my surgery and am very thankful.
Onset of severe fibromyalgia in 6/95, undiagnosed for 2 years while lived in UK
About 1998 o
Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM

HI Dorothy,

Just to add to CindyLou's comment about moving her surgery, they also moved mine from an 11:00am start to an 8:30 am start time on a Monday. Late on Sunday night Dr. B himself called me in the hospital to say that he was changing my surgery time because he thought I would be nervous and it would be better to go first. I still don't know if I projected nervousness to his staff, or if there was some other reason that I will never understand. Nonetheless I was happy to get it over with. They do offer enough sedatives to take away the nerves. And to Elizabeths point on communication, I found that as the process moved along the communication went quicker. I noticed that my replys usually came on a Monday morning (EST) so it seems they spend late Sunday and early Monday mornings (German time) answering emails.

It really was a great experience, it just seems that they are lacking that International Patient Coordinator Position that they used to have. The things that fell through the cracks were minor in retrospect but when going through it - of course its scary.

I just got back from a six week post op visit with a prominent spine surgeon here and he said the x-rays look excellent!
Feb 2008 Prodisc L4-S1 Dr. B, Straubing Germany - SUCCESS
Now I have cervical pain, heading down the same path