ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:14 AM

Hi
I got an idea while watching Montel today. There was a seg on a congressman who had cancer and was cured by an experimental drug. He has gone on to become an advocate of those who need the same type meds but cannot afford them or cannot get insurance to pay for them. He has set up a program that has drug companies involved to help pay for or provide free of charge meds for those who need them.
Montel is a chronic pain sufferer also. I got the idea to contact him and the congressman and tell them of all of us who are waiting for ADR and our insurance companies wont pay for the surgery.
I figure it cant hurt to send an email or make a phone call to see if they are interesed in our problems.
WE might get some media coverageo or some proessure placed on our ins to approve us who knows?
I want numbers so that I can tell them how many of us are out there in the same boat. I want them to know this is a wide spread problem and many people are suffering because beaurocrats at the insurance companies are stalling.
Speak up if you are in the same boat I am or if anyone has numbers or stats please share.
Feel free to give me ideas on this if you have them.
Thanks
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion
Old 04-26-2005, 12:42 AM

I have an idea, we could call our doctors office and ask how many patients are waiting for insurance approval. Since we don't need names they should be able to tell us a number. Because there are so many of us on this site, and we all have different doc's so if we listed the what we find we could have a bunch of different numbers. Cathy
Old 04-26-2005, 05:24 AM

Guesstimate:

50-100 ADR's. 1.5 ADR's per patient = 75 patients +-.

Many have ins., few have ins. that will cover diddly. Maybe we should lobby the Federal government for low cost loans to pay for surgery and indemnify us for costs related to surgery, or legislation that requires ins. cos. and HMO's to cover after care.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:34 PM

I am just learning how this site works Kim. I already email you. I will do anything to help. What are your thoughts as to where we should move from here?

Thanks, Becky
Old 06-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Kim, it's an ambitious idea. I assume that there are thousands of people, perhaps tens of thousands, that are in need of some kind of arthroplasty. To get an accurate number would take many months of research! But the idea is noble, let me know if I can help...

PS: The people on this site represent a very, very small number of pre and post op patients; though I think it is the most concentrated, interactive ADR patient community in the world - more than 40 countres have visited!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-11-2005, 05:18 PM

Update
I have written Montel and my congressmen and senators asking that something be done about this. I have invited all of them to come to this site and others and read about what we are going through so they can see that this is a BIG issue in this country. I understand this is an ambitious thing and maybe nothing will come of it but then again maybe something will. You NEVER know til you try
I encourage all others to do the same. Write Montel, write your congressman, write your senator. Let them know that there are all of us out here who are in pain and do not have to be! If they get a lot of letters maybe they will sit up and listen!
Kim
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion
Old 06-11-2005, 05:29 PM

I wrote Oprah no responce. May try again.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 06-13-2005, 01:33 PM

2 level for me. Insurance denied
Old 06-14-2005, 02:53 PM

I think it is a wonderful idea. I just called Betty at Texas Back Institute. She said that conservatively there are 100-150 people waiting for United Health Care to cover ADR. Just like my husband, they are all suffering tremendously in the meantime. I'm all for putting these Insurance Companies on the spot. The appeal process is a hoax. I've been seriously thinking of contacting Michael Moore. He is great at shaking things up! I am totally in. Please keep me posted!!
Old 06-14-2005, 03:14 PM

amanda,

Call Michael Moore! What a great idea anyone have his number? No worries I found it the "Moore" emails the better!

Michael Moore
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything