ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:38 PM

Default Hello

Hello,

I am a 46 year old man who will undergo a 2 level ADR on Monday 01/09/17. I wish that I had found this organization and forum sooner, but better late than never I suppose.

I am getting anxious about upcoming surgery. Does anyone have any experience with the Allen Spine Hospital of Columbia Presbyterian in NYC, or with Dr. Dan Riew? I'm hoping to hear someting positive to calm me a bit.

And how long are most people out before returning to an office type of work setting? I am afraid that maybe my return to work date is too soon, but not much I can do about that now I guess.
Thanks.
Gorrito
Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 AM

I don't have any information on your doc, but that is a great hospital overall. It will be interesting to see what kind of responses you get to the return to work date. Though I have no real evidence for it, I believe that the date may vary depending on the type and amount of disability coverage folks have for not returning to work quickly.

good luck,relax, and be careful with your recovery. Work will always be there waiting for you!
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona
Old 01-05-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Surgery and returning to work

I just had two level ADR two weeks ago. The sore throat was uncomfortable for a few days, and I am having soreness now in my upper back and neck area. I work from home, so I am starting to get back into it. For me the challenge is sitting in front of a computer for a long period of time.
Ten epidural injections from 2009-2016
Mobi-C C5-C7 surgery with Vikas Patel 12/16
Old 01-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Stay hydrated, move your head slowly so muscles don't cramp up. Get up and walk aound. I can imagine that you are a little taller now, and the neck needs to adjust to that. Keep good posture, don't slough forward.....but I am not a doctor so take all advice in light of your own research and doc
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:13 AM

Saw my surgeon today and consented to surgery. Strangely enough he said he had people go back to work even a day after surgery. Because this will be a 2 level ADR he recommends admitting me to stay overnight, but thinks I will be back to work in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Administrator

The day after surgery? That's crazy. And not a good idea. Wow!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 PM

Yes I know! He said some people who absolutely need to work can go back. But it sounded pretty unreasonable. What do I know?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:52 PM

You will only get one shot at this. You might have many more employers over a lifetime. Take care of your body first. You will need rest to recover from the trauma of the surgery. And you will need to rebuild soft tissues that have been affected from years of pain and likely improper movement due to that pain. But what do I know!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:04 PM

Well I submitted FMLA to miss 9 work days. My 1st day back will be light. I do wish I had extended the time more, but it can't change now unless there is a dramatic complication of my surgery forcing me to be out longer. I love my job. I help others and many times put that even before my own health. I will try to post updates in the ADR Surgical Outcome forum when I can. About 2 days and 8 hours until surgery. But who's counting?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorrito View Post
Well I submitted FMLA to miss 9 work days. My 1st day back will be light. I do wish I had extended the time more, but it can't change now unless there is a dramatic complication of my surgery forcing me to be out longer. I love my job. I help others and many times put that even before my own health. I will try to post updates in the ADR Surgical Outcome forum when I can. About 2 days and 8 hours until surgery. But who's counting?
Gorrito.....that's the reason why 99% of us are all here......BECAUSE we put our freakin' jobs before our own health...!!!!
Gorrito....a smart man learns by his mistakes......(your being given a hint here) and a wise man learns by the mistakes of others......how much more infomation/life experience do you need.......agonizing irreversible chronic pain for the rest of your life or..........proper rest and recuperation for your future....???