ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:32 PM

Default L3-4 l4-5 l5-s1

Hi Group,

My first post here. I have DDD at three levels and have just been advised to undergo my second micro discectomy at the same level: L4 - L5. I am hesitant to do that as there is not much disc material left. If I injure it again, a fusion would be next, which is not an easy one as they would have to fuse multiple levels as the adjacent discs are degenerative also. I am not satisfied with my options and would like to hear any guidance, suggestions, or personal experiences that could steer me in the right direction.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Welcome, I hope we can support you in your next steps. To help us help you, please see:

http://adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11053

Let me know if you need help with this.

Please tell us more about your "spinal history." Did you have any trauma or accidents? Do you consider yourself healthy? History of illnesses, e.g. Lyme disease -- which is epidemic?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-02-2016, 02:44 PM

Thanks, Harrison. I have updated my profile.
Thanks so much for what you have done for so many with your work and especially this site.

I have made contact with Dr. Bertagnoli so far and am waiting to hear back.

I think I understand who to stay away from from a little studying here. Who else would be recommended to speak with?
47 y.o male. Very healthy. First major injury in 1988 from injury as a carpenter. Many more after that. Three level DDD: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1. Micro discectomy in 2006 on L4/5. Back pain very manageable for last 10 years allowing a very active lifestyle. Re-injury occurred 11/23/15 with a major disc bulge and extrusion at L4/5. I've had no major illnesses or injuries outside the back problems.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:08 PM

Default ADR surgery L4-S1 2 level

Hello,
I am 36 year old and 3 years ago I had fall on ski. Since then I had pain in my lumbar area I was diagnosed with DDD and herniations of L4/L5 and L5/S1 and also some facet arthrosis on L4/L5 but Prof Bertagnoli claims its within range. I was so active person but now I can just go shortly on bike if I have good period.
I contacted doctor Bertagnoli and he suggested ProdiscL on both levels. I am scared and need some encouragement. I want to have my life back but also afraid about all these scary posts here. About broken vertebraes with keels, autofusions etc. I am just to schedule the surgery but wait a bit til 12.1. for second opinion.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:39 AM

I feel for you, Tomas. Some of these posts are very scary. Who are you getting the second opinion from?
47 y.o male. Very healthy. First major injury in 1988 from injury as a carpenter. Many more after that. Three level DDD: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1. Micro discectomy in 2006 on L4/5. Back pain very manageable for last 10 years allowing a very active lifestyle. Re-injury occurred 11/23/15 with a major disc bulge and extrusion at L4/5. I've had no major illnesses or injuries outside the back problems.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks fishshon.

Have you reached out to U.S. doctors? Many have performed disc replacement since 2000.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-03-2016, 09:36 PM

Hi Harrison,
No, I haven't reached out to any u.s. surgeons other than my surgeon and Kaiser, my health care provider. I don't know where to begin, really. Also, I imagine they would suggest what my surgeon suggested: first undergo another micro discectomy, then when that goes, fuse all three levels up.
I'm all ears if you have a direction to point me toward...
Old 01-04-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishshon View Post
Hi Harrison,
No, I haven't reached out to any u.s. surgeons other than my surgeon and Kaiser, my health care provider. I don't know where to begin, really. Also, I imagine they would suggest what my surgeon suggested: first undergo another micro discectomy, then when that goes, fuse all three levels up.
I'm all ears if you have a direction to point me toward...
Hey Fishshon,
I am not an expert (only 5 weeks out of surgery in Bogen GmbH with Dr. Bertagnoli) but I would highly suggest looking at this man's credentials, track record and length of him performing these. I had S1-L3 - 3 level ADR and a mobility preservation (instead of a fusion) at L4/3 where I have Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis. This prevents the need for fusion and thus helps unload the adjacent remaining discs to prevent further damage. He has a representative in the USA and Tim can walk you through all the questions.
I also spent a great deal on the referral pages and secured phone numbers from google as opposed to the ones left there so I could get honest answers...

Good Luck
Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 PM

Hi Faith,
That is awesome! It sounds encouraging. I imagine this is not the "right" spot for the discussion, but how are you doing so far? I have been speaking with Tim V about Dr Bert.. He has given an initial recommendation: 3 level ADR. I am nervous and am thinking about potentially just getting a micro D done here to buy some time before I must take the more extensive route. I would love to hear more about your experience and follow your recovery!
Old 01-05-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishshon View Post
Hi Faith,
That is awesome! It sounds encouraging. I imagine this is not the "right" spot for the discussion, but how are you doing so far? I have been speaking with Tim V about Dr Bert.. He has given an initial recommendation: 3 level ADR. I am nervous and am thinking about potentially just getting a micro D done here to buy some time before I must take the more extensive route. I would love to hear more about your experience and follow your recovery!
I am doing pretty much as others say.......lots of pain but I went from 6' .5" back up to 6'2" where I was when I started working....
The old nerve pain is gone but the 'traction' pain is a come and go thing that I cannot figure out quite yet but as everyone says.....take it slow and easy.

I've sent you a PM with contact information.