ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 PM

Default ADR Surgeon in New England

Hello folks. I came across this website 6-7 years ago when I was debating lumbar ADR for the first time. After extensive research after 2 failed microdiscectomies on L5-S1, I ended up fusing L5-S1 in 2015. I did not want the fusion, but at that time I thought the lesser of 2 evils was the fusion. The entry through the front, the risk of potential future issues w/prosthesis, my need for posterior decompression, I decided on the TLIF fusion.

Also, the ADR would have been 2-levels L4/L5/S1 according to ADR surgeon, as my L4-L5 was degenerated - desiccated, concentric disc bulge, minor-to-moderate disc space loss - even though not a pain generator at that time. Some doctors even suggested a 2-level fusion, but I ended up having a one-level and taking my chances on the L4-L5.

After L5-S1 fusion, in general my leg pain was 95% better and lower back was 70% better. Both close to 100% w/o any activity. I was generally very happy.

After fusion recovery, I was back playing rec soccer and still occasionally play, although my back pain is steadily getting worse and takes a lot longer - now 5 years after - for "inflammatory" pain to subside. I have a desk job, so my lower back is typically not a big issue for day-to-day activities. However, even 30 minutes of yard work will bring on moderate pain that will take 2 days to "normalize". I take no medications.

Newest MRI shows further degradation of the L4-L5 and worsening Modic changes around that joint. CT scan confirmed years back that I am fused across L5-S1, so that should not be my issue. I always knew L4-L5 would take the brunt of my continued activity post fusion. But, I did hope it would survive a bit longer than 5 years. The rest of the spine is pristine.

Now I have 3 options. Do nothing until it gets worse, fuse L4-L5, or ADR L4-L5 assuming I am still a candidate. The only fear of ADR is potential prosthesis issues (i.e. wear, subsidence, dislodgement) and not being able to find a surgeon who would want to take the risk to remove. So, the ADR research starts again. Based on my prior good surgical experience w/fusion, I would fuse again in a heartbeat, but then I really would have to slow down activity in fear of ruining the rest of the spine....and even that may not be enough.
2013- L5/S1 repeat micro-d due to reherniation
2015 - L5/S1 TLIF fusion due to 2nd reherniation
Now - L4/L5 desiccated and causing pain with activity

Last edited by nakurac; 06-29-2020 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2020, 11:58 AM

James Yue at Yale New Haven
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona
Old 06-30-2020, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Dr. Banco performed my ADR in 2004, he started ADR in 2000.

https://bostonspinecaregroup.com/
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-01-2020, 11:19 AM

Sorry, Yue has moved on to Midstate
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona
Old 07-30-2021, 03:05 PM

Dr. Josef Simon with Boston Orthopedic and Spine - he has done two back surgeries for me including a C6/C7 disc replacement that I just had done yesterday!