ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 AM

Jules,

My surgery with Clavel was before he had a package that was offered. Then he offered only surgery, one pre and two post-op office visits. I made my own flight, ground travel and hotel arrangements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadJules View Post
@jss I am interested in other docs, but I admit I'm a huge fan of the Mediterranean so I wouldn't mind spending 2 weeks in Spain. I also really like what people say about Dr Clavel's positive energy. Just curious why you would recommend other surgeons if he did your surgery? Dr Boeree is also on My list.
The answer is what Sara has suggested. The process of choosing a surgeon is so important and requires balancing so many variables that the surgeon that was best for one person may not be the best for another. Jack Zigler, arguably the best ADR surgeon on the planet, practices just 20 miles my house, but those aforementioned variables lined up such that I did not elect him for my surgery. Just trying to give you some proven great options.

BTW: I will almost certainly require one more cervical surgery within the next several years. I'll be having Clavel do that surgery.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Default Hello,

If it helps, I had surgery in the US in 2009 and have a Prodisc in at the c6/7 level, it is not aligned correctly and the US surgeon did not address my c5/6 level.
I had a 2nd surgery in Nov 2011 with Nick Boeree, and now have an M6 at c5/6. I am 1000 times better than I was and am so grateful I ended up getting the M6 and not a second Prodisc.
I would not put multiple Prodisc's in my cervical spine, the keels cause alot of problems, but everyone is different.
I hope you find the right surgeon and discs and will be pain-free and back to your self soon!
Sincerely,
Christine
09/2009 C6/7 Prodisc C ADR
11/2010 facet joint inj 12/2010 Rhizotomy TBI Dr. Cottingham months of relief
05/2011 facet Joint Inj 06/2011 Rhizotomy
7/2011 Dr. Zigler TBI, facet block and Discogram
11/18 surgery with Dr/Mr. Boeree..Thank God.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:39 PM

christinlal,

you story undermines the importance of knowing your pain generator(s) before surgery.... SO glad you finally got everything addressed!
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM

Default Doc,

Thanks, it has been six weeks and I am so thankful every day....I still struggle but the pain is not remotely like before the surgery.

It took me a long time and many surgeons to figure out what to do, I figured I had one chance to fix my neck and no more botches or mistakes. I hope my crappy little story can help anyone else in this boat!

I am glad you are recovering so well! Take care and stay safe.
Christine
09/2009 C6/7 Prodisc C ADR
11/2010 facet joint inj 12/2010 Rhizotomy TBI Dr. Cottingham months of relief
05/2011 facet Joint Inj 06/2011 Rhizotomy
7/2011 Dr. Zigler TBI, facet block and Discogram
11/18 surgery with Dr/Mr. Boeree..Thank God.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:10 AM

So apparently Dr. Lauryssen's PA misinformed me, and he actually has done several 3 level ADR surgeries... They are talking about setting me up in Dubai and having him perform the surgery there so I can get the M6's... keep you posted if that's a real option. They are currently trying to get a small group of patients to go over at the same time. I did extend the offer for Dr. Lauryssen to join Dr. Clavel as well in Barcelona.
c5-6 right ruptured disk
moderate spinal cord compression
right ostephyte
c6-7 ruptured disk, moderate cord compression and endplate osteophyte

L3-4 central disk protrusion
L5-S1 ruptured disk

3 level m6 cervical ADR with Dr. Clavel 4/12/12
2 level lumbar ADR in near future hopefully!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 PM

Default Sign me up

Whats this about finding more patients and going to Dubai?
I am so darn frustrated, doors keep closing for me, not opening. I was scheduled for 2 Mavrick discs with Dr. Rajakumar in India on Nov. 17th. Meanwhile I had send out my xrays to Dr. Pimenta who fianlly contacted me right before I was already scheduled so I told them no. Then I didn't get my visa in time and surgery was cancelled and I did more research here and thought the Mavrick was not as good. So I emailed Dr. Piemeta now for 2 weeks with no answer to my email. I also sent out my xrays & MRI by mail to Dr. Clavel 2 1/2 weeks ago and no answer there yet either. I also sent xrays & MRI to Dr. Boeree and did hear from them and waiting for a phone consulation in a few days for $458.00. I am so ready and having such a hard time finding the right doctor. I sure wish I had just cancelled India and went with Dr. Pimenta. I'm so ready to go and get this done.
To anyone else reading this, don't say "no" too fast. Reading of Vicki's ordeal, she cancelled out on 2 different doctors, right before she was to leave. I guess I should have done that, at least I would have had a choice.
Please do let me know if they do want more patients for surgery, I need an open door here. I feel so damn frustrated!!
I want to be on the other side.
2011 - right sided transforaminal injection for sciatica and it worked, yeah!
2011- Scheduled for 2 ADR's with Dr. Rajakumar/India but cancelled until Feb. or March.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Sandy,

what have the surgeons with whom you have spoken said about your situation? do they think you are a good candidate for ADR?

you are in a rather different situation, having so many levels fused above.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 PM

Hi Laidup,
Well, Stenum oked me for 2 artificial discs but don't they approve everyone?
About a month ago I sent Dr. Clavel xray's & MRI on line and he got back to me right away (email) and said he thought he could do 2 artificial discs but would like to see a lateral xray too. So I sent those out by snail mail. He might be worried about the facets?
Dr. Pimenta said I had mild to moderate facet joint arthritis but he thought he could still do a XL disc on L4/L5 which I think would mean only the one disc which may mean my L5/S1 might still be good enough? And they said the XL was still experimental. I really like the fact that it goes in through the side and I know he is an expert when it comes to facets. So if he would approve me, then I would definately go for it. I know I need to do this soon or the facets will get worse. Like I read here quite a bit, Don't wait too long! I feel like I made a huge mistake when I told Dr. Pimenta I had already scheduled with India but I had already commited to them, stupid me. Hindsite is 20/20.
20 years ago when I had my huge surgery the surgeon told me I would need to have the bottom 2 fused in 10 to 20 years so the time has come. I hope so much I can get artificial discs instead. I don't want to be fused to my sacrum. I'm stiff as a board already, I can't image more. When I see people here so scared of getting one disc fused I think it's not that bad except the damage it does above & below it. It's crazy that the U.S. isn't more accepting of ADR's for that reason alone. For my fusion they took out my 4th rib, hip bone, pedicle bone and cadaver bone and grinded it up to put in between my open vertebra.
I started my blog already, hoping I can soon write about my new ADR so many other's have done. Below is a link to my xray's and MRI. I hope I have the happy ending!
Sandys Spine Wish - 2 Artificial Discs: MRI and X-Ray Pictures
2011- Scheduled for 2 ADR's with Dr. Rajakumar/India but cancelled until Feb. or March.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM

Redheadjules, I wonder how you are doing on your search? I didn't mean to butt right into your decision making. But how are you doing? It takes a lot of time to research and try to figue out what to do for your back & life. I'm still there and it does get frustrating. I did finally hear back from Dr. Clavel's office yesterday. He approved me for 2 lower discs for $43,000.00. There goes my retirement fund but then what is life if you can't do anything. I also heard from Dr. Boeree and he did not approve me so that is always a delima why one will approve and the other one won't. I'm still waiting to hear from one more doctor, Dr. Pimenta and he is travelling right now so it might take awhile.
Hope you get this message and let us know how you are doing!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:08 AM

Default was out of town... sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy123 View Post
Redheadjules, I wonder how you are doing on your search? I didn't mean to butt right into your decision making. But how are you doing? It takes a lot of time to research and try to figue out what to do for your back & life. I'm still there and it does get frustrating. I did finally hear back from Dr. Clavel's office yesterday. He approved me for 2 lower discs for $43,000.00. There goes my retirement fund but then what is life if you can't do anything. I also heard from Dr. Boeree and he did not approve me so that is always a delima why one will approve and the other one won't. I'm still waiting to hear from one more doctor, Dr. Pimenta and he is travelling right now so it might take awhile.
Hope you get this message and let us know how you are doing!
Sandy,
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of the country.
Dr. Lauryssen had me talk to a man by the name of Dr. Khoury from Global Medical Exchange who is helping him set up a location for surgery out of the US in order to be able to implant the M6. Dr. Lauryssen was the lead surgeon on the clinical trials here in the US for the M6. So Dr. Khoury (PHD not MD) has helped him get a location in Dubai for now. I am not sure that I am personally interested in this solution, but if you're interested PM me and I can send you their contact info. Either way, sounds like you yourself have some serious decisions to make. I can empathize for sure! Just out of curiosity what was the price in Euros? you mentioned a USD price.

I just got my new MRI done last week, so I will hopefully have a copy by tomorrow to send out. The Euro docs wanted an updated imaging study despite my CT scan from sept (I know, different studies) so I decided to go for the tube again so I can get a move on here. Dr. Bertagnoli's office already had given the go ahead without it, though they weren't happy about the age of my previous MRI, but Clavel's rep said I have to have it, so I figured it will be the same with any other Dr I approach. I didn't want to have to endure the tube again, but I'm up for anything to get me closer to the healing zone!

So no current updates from me, but I should have some decisions, fingers crossed, in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks for everyone's support. I really appreciate it!
c5-6 right ruptured disk
moderate spinal cord compression
right ostephyte
c6-7 ruptured disk, moderate cord compression and endplate osteophyte

L3-4 central disk protrusion
L5-S1 ruptured disk

3 level m6 cervical ADR with Dr. Clavel 4/12/12
2 level lumbar ADR in near future hopefully!