ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 PM

Default Singapore connections

If Thailand or India are a bit too far down the 'developing world' scale for you, but you still want to look for off-shore savings, consider Singapore! They do not offer Germany's selection of discs but they do offer significant $avings on most medical tourism procedures. When I was told BCBS would cover my procedure in the US but not overseas I was disappointed. I'd have no problem getting it done in Singapore (though I hear India is a marvelous tourist destination.)
Before I found out Singapore was an impractical option for me I had asked some connections there. They recommended I check:

Tan Tock Seng Hospital
International Patients Liaison Centre (IPLC)

Singapore General

http://www.sgh.com.sg/Clinical-Depar.../overview.aspx

Parkway Hospital
Parkway - The Leading Private Healthcare Group in Asia - Facilities & Services

Though I can't make use of their response I thought I would share. Singapore is an amazing place and very easy for an English speaker to get around in. They have an MRT link to the airport so if you do not arrive too late the trains will take you to within walking distance of nearly anywhere you need to go.

In case you are thinking Singapore hasn't changed much since it's 'fishing village' past... think again...

Be aware this country expects good manners and their laws are strict. If you have to ask, don't do it. No drugs. No chewing gum. But you will appreciate the results of their expectations when you are there.
UPDATE: No doc since the first surgeon has recommended an ADR. It now looks like I am up for another microdiscectomy / foraminotomy
I'm certain I am not the last for such a diagnosis change so we can all still learn from each others experiences!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Administrator

J, the photos in the link you provided is literally, over the top (" 'fishing village' past... think again..."). Pun intended. I corresponded with a spine doc in Singapore for several years, but I lost touch with him. I'll look him up next week when I have time.

Going overseas for surgery when one is suffering with back pain is brutal -- the plane rides and travel are terribly challenging. That said, alternatives are always a good thing.

Have you posted in the post-op forum yet? I looked quickly, I did not see it.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate