ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Default prodisc-l for L4-L5 toasted disk

Hello,

I am new here and had a few questions. If i have overlooked other posts, please just direct me to the answers if they are available.

I have been diagnosed with a leaking disk (L4-L5). also mild disk bulge on the other side of the same disk. This was discovered thru a diskogram.

My surgeon has suggested i replace the disk with a prodisc-l.

My questions are as follows:

1) is there place that houses the actual results of clinical studies comparing the outcomes of a prodisc-l and a regular fusion? (for say just 1 disk replaced)
2) what are the clinical outcomes with the prodisc-l and fusion 5 and 10 yrs out?
3) what are the clinical risks (documented with numbers) of prodisc-l VS. fusion.

Now for the general stuff:

4) why do people chose one or the other procedure?
5) if something goes wrong, cant the prodisk-l be fused around? Or is that just not that practical?
6) anyone have a name of a Surgeon in the Chicago area who has a proven track record for the fusion and prodisk-l?

7) is there a 'better' (outcome -wise) device available?

Thanks so much for you time.......i look forward to any replies!!!!!

ottob
Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Hi Otto, I just moved your introduction into this forum. Someone should be along soon to reply. If you don't get any replies, send me a private message; happy to help!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Otto, there are quite a few topics that can address your question. Do study the post op forum! Here are some topics I found with the search function:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f51...-studies-5741/

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f50...osthesis-5698/

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f50...-2012-a-11608/

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f47...c-jaclyn-9943/

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f51...ofusion-11329/

We were the first site on the net to focus on spinal arthroplasty, so we have 8 years of history and posts. We have a good problem: lots of information and personal stories for you to read. Try searching and browsing, you'll get up to speed quickly.

ADRSupport Community - Search Forums

Can you find a way to be on the computer comfortable? I would imagine your sitting tolerance is not great...sorry. There is hope!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 AM

I might be able to answer some of your questions but won't try until I see if this goes through. My attempts in the past have not. Must be the French name.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:41 AM

thanks Harrison!!!!

I am reading the links now.

Yep...very painful to sit for any length of time. OUCH!!!! hehehe

otto
Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Otto,
I live in Green Bay and had my surgery for the Prodisc-L here with Dr. Weinshell. My surgery was in Dec. 2011 and was at L5-S1. I am overly joyed with the results. I was likely in the same boat as you prior to my surgery. When I looked at the ADR vs. fusion, ADR seems to have a much higher success rate. As for "long term" results, the Prodisc has not been around but for about 10 years so I was only able to find "projections". As for surgeons in Chicago I cannot help. One thing is for sure, pick the right surgeon. there are plenty of horror stories because of Drs doing the ADR because it takes care of the 1 bad disk. If there is any question of the surrounding disks, get a second and third opinion. Just food for thought.
2007-2010
7 Inj and PT
2011 2 Inj.
Aug. Inj did not help at all. MRI.
XRay neg. Sept MRI
Discogram L5S1 pain was 10 of 10. L4L5 pain was 2-3.
DR advised me about ADR. Ins Approved after appeal.
Surg 12/16 Xmas gift!
Feeling GREAT!
http://www.facebook.com/Stircrazie
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM

thanks a bunch!!!!!

Yeah, they actually checked the disks around it to make sure they were trying ot get it all at once.

I spoke with the Doc who did just the diskogram today. He is NOT the surgeon that ordered the diskogram and suggested the Prodisk. Anyway, he said that most of the issues early on with the device are not present now. It helps to NOT be a trailblazer in some cases. From what i have been reading of late, it looks like the ADR is the way to go in my case.
thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:04 PM

hey Lefo

your post made it.........

thanks,
Otto
Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Otto

Just a few musings on studies...

I don't know how valuable they are. Those that glorified Prodisc (like the ones my surgeon gave me) had interested parties involved, like the manufacturer, and exaggerated the benefits. Those that semed to condemn the hypermobility of the disc as leading to arthritis campared it to a healthy disc, which is silly because no one is replacing a sound disc with metal and plastic just to be avant garde. I can guarantee that artificial discs cause less arthritis than a collapsed disc. Long term studies are unlikely given the nature of rapidly changing technology; 15 years from now what we have will be obsolete. Here, patients stories may be the most helpful, although they, too must be taken with a grain of salt. My decision was based on a need to return to rigorous activity, and whatever the shortcominjgs of ADR surgery, the disc has withstood every challenge I've thrown at it. I can share what I've been able to do if you're intersted.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 PM

hey lefo,

thanks for the reply.

yeah, i take the studies with a wary eye. I am just trying ot get a handle on what to expect at this point.

I have pretty much decided to go with the Prodisc...barring finding out that they are bad news or a recall is forthcoming. I guess i just want to know what to expect...in general terms. It seems like no matter what route taken surgically, there is about 10-15% odds i will have to have something done in the future. I am not crazy about those odds, but i just cant handle the pain any longer. I am an engineer and work from home...i dont know what the heck i would do if i had to go in the office daily. I dont know how the rest of the persons here have delt with work etc. That is scary to me.

Anyway, I am not an athlete or anything like that but i do ALOT or remodeling work(used to that is) and such. So I was wondering if the odds are good i will be able to resume that post surgery?

How physically have you been post your ADR? To what extent are you physiclly active? You had mentioned throwing things at the replacement...how hard are you on the replacement anyway?

Just curious....

thanks!!!!