ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Default what now

I am 1 year post surgery and just had check up with surgeon, i had 3 level cervical with 2 pro disc c and fusion, both discs have fused, i knew this was possible because of this site but was never discussed pre surgery, was not aware that it was more common, surgeon said it was unfortunate but that discs would cause no problem and that i now have 3 level fusion and was not interested in discussing any change of post operative restrictions, am not on a witch hunt but would appreciate any appropriate info in this area, i realize its not a perfect world but felt as if i was kind of pushed off because of outcome, am still better off than before surgery and thankful, any info appreciated
Old 07-12-2012, 11:24 PM

yoder,

Sincerest condolences on the spontaneous fusions over the ProDiscs. My understanding is that some devices, like the Bryan disc, commonly autofuse, where others, like the ProDisc, autofuse less frequently. My surgeon used a bone wax on both of my ADRs in an effort to inhibit autofusion. As of 18 months post, they were showing no signs of autofusion.

Do you know if your surgeon used Ethicon, Ostene or other such product to inhibit autofusion?

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 07-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Sorry to read about the Auto fusion-- that is one of my fears! I hadno idea it could occur so quickly! One year? Is there any way to reverse it?
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks
Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Yoder, sorry about your situation. As you may know, I've been discussing the use of NSAIDs after ADR (especially cervical) for many years -- to ward of the possibility of autofusion (heterotopic ossification or HO).

Do you recall what your post-op discharge instructions were regarding NSAIDs? Did you take any? Or any kind of anti-inflammatories?

PS: Pls see http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-13-2012, 04:27 PM

unfortunately i cant take nsaids, nothing else was discussed, i was given a bone growth stimulant for fusion at 5-6, i wasnt aware of anything else, discs were at 4-5 & 6-7, my release x-ray a year ago looked perfect, 2 weeks ago dr said he had never seen such bone growth in such a short time and he had done over 200 adr, i was told pre surgery that my whole cervical had issues and these were the worst levels, discs were to slow down any further damage to adjacent levels, now that im fused no discussion as to my future and what i should expect
Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 AM

Yoder,

In his 1999 landmark study, Radiculopathy and Myelopathy at Segments Adjacent to the Site of a Previous Anterior Cervical Arthrodesis, Dr Alan Hilibrand followed 409 patients that received cervical fusions; 374 single level, and 35 multil-level fusions (like yours and mine). He found that of the single level fusion patients that 25 percent would require an additional surgery at an adjacent level within 10 years. An interesting observation gleaned in his work is that that proportion of required follow up surgeries was "significantly lower" in patients that received multiple adjacent fusions.

Dr Hilibrand's statistics didn't hold out for me; a cervical fusion in 2000, another in 2002 and then was told in 2008 that I needed THREE more cervical fusions. You didn't state how bad the rest of your cervical discs were, but if Dr Hilibrand's statistics hold up for you, your cervical woes may well be over; only time will tell.

In the unfortunate event that you require future surgical intervention, deciding on a course of treatment would be aided in determining NOW what caused the autofusions. Was it the bone growth stimulant? That you didn't take NSAID's? Did your surgeon not use Ethicon or Ostene to mitigate the chances of autofusion? Are you just one of those guys whose bone are going to fuse no matter what you do?

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 07-16-2012, 02:24 PM

thank you jeff for the reply and info and yes an answer as to why i ended up with this conclusion would be in order, i was told that both c3-4 and t-1 suffered from deg disc disease with some bulge at c3-4, hopefully i could make 10 years, also insicion area has stayed numb and feels drawn and tight with a full feeling in throat, have been able to eat and drink alright but wonder if scar tissue has been abnormal also, have tried to post signature again hopefully works this time