ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 AM

Default 3 levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I am confused and I think rightly apprehensive at the thought of 3 level ADR but how do you know if that is the right call? Ritter-Lang said 1, Clavel is saying 3, waiting to hear from Zeegers and Dare and TBI.

I just am really scared about doing either to many or too few.

Arghhh....
Hi there.

That is quite a difference of opinion.

Although all of the surgeons I consulted with were in agreement that I needed a 3 level cervical ADR (which I had with Dr Clavel in April this year) the diagnostic imaging didn't clearly show the extent of damage to all of my discs. Only one looked ruptured on the MRI I had in January of this year... When they opened me up all 3 were ruptured. I would get as many informed opinions as possible and do what feels right for you. If there is disease in adjacent discs that aren't replaced at the same time, logic would tell me that there will be issues down the road... But then again I'd personally prefer to have it all sorted out at the same time. Ultimately it is up to you and the doctor you choose!

Good luck!!!
c5-6 right ruptured disk
moderate spinal cord compression
right ostephyte
c6-7 ruptured disk, moderate cord compression and endplate osteophyte

L3-4 central disk protrusion
L5-S1 ruptured disk

3 level m6 cervical ADR with Dr. Clavel 4/12/12
2 level lumbar ADR in near future hopefully!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM

So I spoke with Clavel and things are better than I thought (at least in terms of clarity). Ritter-Lang called for TWO levels not one - I misread his prognosis. He said 'L4-S1 Recommend M6..." and I misread that that as just L5-S1. Not clear though if you ask me though.

Clavel was really on the border with L3-L4, it definitely has a tear that did not clear up over the past 2 years and leaving it in would be a bit of a time bomb of uncertainty and I sure as hell don't have the money to do this TWICE. He said it would make more sense to replace it and I am inclined to agree but I am definitely going to get some more opinions before finally pulling the trigger...

BTW - Clavel is pretty awesome, really well spoken, not rushed answered all of my questions really well. I asked him how much time we had - and he said - "as much time as we need". Class act and what you look for in a Doctor IMHO.
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012