ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 AM

Default Help

Hello, I'm a 18 yr old student who has been suffering from bulging discs and DDD for the past 6 years. It all started with a misdiagnosis because my incompetent doctor refused to beleive something was wrong despite my constant pleads. It eventually ended up that I was diagnosed with 2 bulging discs in the L2-L3 and the L4-L5. I was told multiple times by my doctor that it was merely a soreness or backstrain, but since i was playing football and lifting weights since then i knew this was different.

However, since my insurance (anthem blue cross California) is and remains utterly useless, my condition worsened dramatically and as of recently I have had to stop lifting weights and even walking has become a task in itself. This is what my latest MRI reported as of 06-26-12

As seen with my latest MRI report, this is what was stated:

Diffuse spondylosis is seen with the lumbar spine without evidence of spondylolysis or spondylolisthesis. Disc desiccation is noted at L3 through S1...

continued

T3-T4: 2-3mm right paracentral posterior disc bulge effaces the ventral surface of the thecal sac without evidence of canal stenosis.

L2-L3: 4mm posterior disc bulge effaced the ventral surface of the thecal sac, resulting in mild canal stenosis.

L3-L4: 3mm posterior disc bulge effaced the ventral surface of the thecal sac, resulting in mild right and moderate to severe left neural foraminal narrowing.

L4-L5: 4mm posterior disc bulge effaced the ventral surface of the thecal sac, resulting in mild to severe bilateral foraminal narrowing, in conjunction with facet joint hypertrophy.

L5-S1 6mm posterior bulge effaces the ventral surface of the thecal sac, resulting in severe neural foraminal narrowing. Posterior annular tear is seen within the intervertebral disc. Mild canal stenosis is seen.

That's my story
Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 AM

Question Help

Hello, as I have stated in my introduction, I am currently suffering from multiple bulging discs and a ruptured disc. Today, I am 18 and have had this condition since I was 12 although it has worsened considerably since I started with 2 bulging discs and now have 5. And, until recently despite the pain my back had done me well, carrying me through things I perhaps shouldn't have put it through. Namely, my past time powerlifting.

However to get to my question, I am interested in ADR in 2-3 levels and wondering if anthem blue cross in California will cover it? And although, I am very young I simply refuse to live life like I'm sixty, when there are procedures that can improve my lifestyle.

Please help me since my insurance wants to say anything to avoid paying. What am I likely to run into while trying to get this surgery, in the sense of what BS lines doctors will tell me to convince me otherwise? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:16 AM

They won't want to operate because of your age, and degeneration at multiple levels.

If your pain is disabling and chronic, you need to be looking for annular tearing. If one disc is significantly torn and the others are relatively intact, it may be an option to replace that disc only.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Torres, I am really sorry...and you are so young too. Were you in any accidents? Trauma from sports? To what do you attribute your spinal woes?

I hope we can help!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Torres, I am really sorry...and you are so young too. Were you in any accidents? Trauma from sports? To what do you attribute your spinal woes?

I hope we can help!
Actually, I had initially got my first bulging disc when i was 12 and was playing tackle football on the street pavement (yeah pretty stupid). However, at that time I was also lifting weights, but since my doctor had told me it was merely a strain i trusted her judgement and continued with my activities.

But through high school i realized i wasnt going to be able to play football anymore, and so i gave that dream up.Although, after i stopped playing football i felt pretty depressed and began doing the next thing i loved which was lifting weights. and despite my injury which probably was only 3-4 bulging discs at the time, I had bench pressed 390 lbs, squated 360lbs, and deadlifted 405 lbs, so you could say i was a pretty strong cripple Lol

Any way my condition started relatively mild, but because the doctors refused to acknowledge something was wrong, it got worse and worse to now where i cant even drive, walk, or sleep without pain.