ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM

Default Hybrid Lumbar Surgery

My doctor is Richard Kahmann in Santa Barbara. My L3-4 is severely degenerative, bone on bone. My L4-5 is bulging and causing severe pain. My surgeon wants to do a fusion on L3-4 and a ADR on L4-5. I've had a CT and a discogram done and it was positive that those disc were the ones causing me my pain. I've had numerous 2nd and 3rd opinions and everyone agrees that this is what needs to be done. I would like to know if anyone has had this type of surgery done and what it is like. My doctor was recommended by a friend that had a successful ADR done a few years ago and by my lawyer. Any input would be very much appreciated.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM

Default Still looking for any information please

I was talking to my doctor yesterday and she answered a lot of my questions but I would like information from people that have gone through it. I'm nervous since it is such a major surgery.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 PM

Hey I wrote a long winded response but I accidently deleted it. I will give you an abridged version that hopefully captures the essence:

To get info on hybrids try the search function under the surgical outcomes forum and then PM some people whose stories resonate. They will be the ones to give the best advice if you are going that route.

Note that ADR doctors in the US will ALWAYS recommend a hybrid fusion for multilevel because that is all insurance companies will pay for because that is all the FDA studies really studied for. :/

If you have the $$ and then time you may want to investigate other options outside of the country, e.g. I got a 3 level ADR no fusion in Spain last week. FYI I did investigate the US as an option and was given a hybrid as a solution but it just wasn't for me - your mileage may vary.

Send your films to some overseas doctors to get their opinion it is usually free for a review and they may have another opinion.

Just some food for thought.
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012