ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Default The time has come. And even Insurance agreed.

Hi again everyone,
For those that remember, I was scheduled for a single level ADR (prodisc L) at L4-5 for the Monday after Thanksgiving 2012. I chose not to have the surgery and try more conservative methods before I made a commitment that large.
In the following months, I have had 2 ESI's in the lumbar (the second has helped some). In addition, my PM Doc has added Cymbalta 60mg and upped lyrica to 300mg. I also take about 3 04 Tramadol daily. Add to this, PT twice a week including "dry needling" and massage therapy. While I have had some moderate relief, it's only because of the meds. When I let them wear off, the pain returns.
Last week, I made a follow up appt. with my surgeon and told him I was ready to commit and to re-file with the insurance company (Cigna) for the lumbar ADR. My Doc was concerned that recently Cigna has been denying claims for ADR (back to the whole "experimental" argument) I told him that surely mine would be re-approved based on my prior approval. To which he told me that he had two recent denials of requests from people who had previously been approved. (Wouldn't that be just my luck).
Well, I'm happy to say that I just got off the phone with the Surgical Scheduler who told me that Cigna re-approved everything as it had been up to 12.31.2012 and when would I like to schedule!!!

I've asked for something towards the end of April due to my daughter having her regional gymnastics meet in OK City on the weekend of the
20th.
I'm scared, excited and more than a little reluctant to think I may have to spend up to a month or more sitting (or standing, walking, laying) in my house. I'm a people person, and the singular pleasure I get out of work is spending time with my co-workers. The idea of being by myself that long isn't that appealing!
I ask for any thoughts, prayers or concerns you all would like to share with me and in return, I promise to give a chronology of my experience from "pre-op" to "return to work". (and beyond if I think of it!)

Much thanks to all the participants on this board for all the information they have so unselfishly shared, to and including topics that most adults don't easily share (think poop)

Wish me luck please. I need all the emotional support I can get.

Mike

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"
Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Hi Mike!

Making these decisions are SO difficult as you now know. So you are just a few weeks away from surgery? Where are you having it? Also, can you add your signature? Pls see:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/

Don't forget to have your teeth cleaned before the big day. Preferably, your RDH uses ozone and xylitol for better/deeper cleaning. This is very important for anyone that will be intubated!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Hi Mike, you will do great....I'm almost six months post surgery (prodisc L L5 S1 )and completely back to livin life, I'm on no pain Meds and most days now I do not even think about my old friend back pain.

Best of luck and if you have any questions or would like to talk just pm me.

Dean
Massage, chiro
4 shots, no relief
Ct, 3mri's
all activities stopped, day by day
DDD @ L5 S1
Examined by 3 surgeons,
Consulted with 2 out of country surg, all reco ADR
Surgery Oct. 26, 2012 by Dr. Bouchard, Pro Disc L
Old 04-12-2013, 07:15 AM

Mike,

Congratulations on dodging the insurance bullet! I know you're going to do great. Please let us know when you get the surgery scheduled.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 04-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Good luck to you and good job on insurance.

Also on the Cymbalta please look up the side effects for it and be mindful of them. Also don't just stop taking it you have to ween off of it. With just being on 60mg it shouldn't be that bad to come off. The way the Dr. did me was he gave me samples of 30mg and had me take 1 a day for two weeks then 1 every other day for another two weeks. But don't just stop taking it.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Good luck to you and good job on insurance.

Also on the Cymbalta please look up the side effects for it and be mindful of them. Also don't just stop taking it you have to ween off of it. With just being on 60mg it shouldn't be that bad to come off. The way the Dr. did me was he gave me samples of 30mg and had me take 1 a day for two weeks then 1 every other day for another two weeks. But don't just stop taking it.
Robert is correct. Don't go cold turkey on the Cymbalta! I had to stair step down to get off of it, and it was a bear to do!

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Harrison,

I had my teeth cleaned about a month ago, should I have them cleaned again prior to surgery or is that close enough?
Is there anything else hygiene/wise that you all would recommend?
(robert and newlease) Thanks for the guidance on the Cymbalta. I am going to schedule with my PMD to go over what I can expect after the surgery and if I need to stay on these drugs at this dosage until the surgery day.
I only have two weeks until surgery, so obviously not enough time to "wean" on either the Lyrica or Cymbalta. Not sure that it sounds like fun during recovery either. I wonder if they will keep me going on them until after recovery is done?

I will keep this updated with the answer.

Mike

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"