ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM

You should also post this in the surgical outcomes section of the forum to help keep people informed.
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:48 PM

Default discogram report

Hi Jeff,
Dr. Zigler's office submitted a surgery plan to replace the C5, the facet block was a diagnostic test but I still felt the pain so the discogram was done. That one was kinda awful.
I am so skinny now and miserable, I want to be on the other side of this. I know they are going with the prodisc because it has been fda approved in the us, he wanted to use the mobi c, but I don't think I can last another 6 months.
He and his office have been great, I am just praying for it to be over.
Thanks for always checking on me,
Christine

To: Jack Zigler, MD
Date: 07/14/2011

PROCEDURE: Three level cervical discogram at C4-5, C5-6, and C7-T1.
LEVEL ARCHITECTURE VOLUME/RESISTANCE PAIN

C4-5 Mild degen; leak 0.4cc - reduced Concordant neck pain; VAS 8/10

C5-6 Mild/degen; leak 0.5cc - reduced Concordant neck pain; VAS 10/10

C7-T1 Normal 0.4cc – normal No pain; VAS 0/10

IMPRESSION:
The C4-5 disc was mildly degenerative. Contrast leaked thru annular defects and into the epidural space. Resistance was reduced. Pressurization caused concordant neck pain VAS 8/10.

The C5-6 disc was mildly degenerative. Contrast leaked thru annular defects and into the epidural space. Resistance was reduced. Pressurization caused concordant neck pain VAS 10/10.

The C7-T1 disc was architecturally normal. Contrast was contained within the nucleus. Resistance was normal. Pressurization was painless. 0/10.

Discographers note: this is a very stoic patient. Her reports were consistent and reproducible on the one level that I tested twice-i.e., C4-5. There was no pain whatsoever with pressurization at C7-T1.

TEXAS BACK INSTITUTE FOR SURGERY
Cervical Discogram Report
Referring Physician: Zigler

LEVEL ARCHITECTURE VOLUME RESISTANCE PAIN
C 2-3 _Normal _0.1 cc _Normal _No Pain
_Abnormal _0.2 cc _Reduced _Concordant
_Degenerative _0.3 cc _Increased _Discordant
_Flat _0.50cc _/10
_Leaky _ .75cc

C 3-4 _Normal _0.1 cc _Normal _No Pain
_Degenerative _0.3 cc _Increased _Discordant
_Flat _0.50cc _/10
_Leaky _ .75cc

C 4-5 _Normal _0.1 cc _Normal _No Pain
_Abnormal _0.2 cc X Reduced _Concordant
_Degenerative X 0.3 cc _Increased _Discordant
_Flat _0.50cc 8/10
_Leaky _ .75cc
MILD
C 5-6 _Normal _0.1 cc _Normal _No Pain
_Abnormal _0.2 cc X Reduced _Concordant
X Degenerative MILD _ 0.3 cc _Increased _Discordant
_Flat X 0.50cc 10/10
X Leaky _ .75cc

C 6-7 _Normal _0.1 cc _Normal _No Pain
_Abnormal _0.2 cc _ Reduced _Concordant
_Flat _0.50cc _/10
_Leaky _ .75cc
C 7-T1 X Normal _0.1 cc X Normal X No Pain - SUBTLE
_Flat _0.50cc _/10
_Leaky _ .75cc
09/2009 C6/7 Prodisc C ADR
11/2010 facet joint inj 12/2010 Rhizotomy TBI Dr. Cottingham months of relief
05/2011 facet Joint Inj 06/2011 Rhizotomy
7/2011 Dr. Zigler TBI, facet block and Discogram
11/18 surgery with Dr/Mr. Boeree..Thank God.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:11 PM

Default xrays

Hello,
the xrays are uploaded onto my profile, I am not certain if the images help.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM

Default Boy oh Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinlal View Post
I was able to get to Dallas, TX and meet with Dr. Zigler, thank God. He viewed all my mri's, xray's, ct scan, as well as ordered more tests to see what was going on.

I had a facet block and a discogram, my C5 and C4 are both bad and have to be replaced. I am thanking God I did not go through a revision on the Pro Disc at C6 as Dr. Zigler let me know it is not too far forward and the alignment is ok. I cannot believe how close I came to making a mistake.

Now, I am waiting for Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield to approve whatever Dr. Zigler orders and hope I will be able to have my surgery with him and get my life back.
Just when you thought that you had done the right thing and this should have made it better. I have dreamt of an ADR at my c6/7. I am alreayd fused at c3-6 and it sucks!!! I have facet arthrosis now even at the levels that were fused. Fusion can cause ddd from stress above and below. That is what happened in my case anyway. If I could find a doctor that would remove the disc and merelyt let me pay put of pocket for the adr I would do it in a heart beat! But I can;t find anyone here in Oklahoma City.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 08-01-2011, 08:37 AM

Default fuse

Dear Cheryl,
I am so very sorry for all that you have had to endure. I remember going to the surgeon and seeing his plan for the adr at C6, (prodisc) and he had drawn a 'peek' cage at C5, I begged him not to do ANY fusion at any level. I know I am terrified of this, and I wish you also had the option for ADR. I liked Dr. Zigler enormasly and will travel back to Dallas for the Surgery, God willing, as it is worth going to the best.
I am praying for the insurance approval and the surgery date today, and every day.
If I can help in any way, please let me know.
Sincerely,
Christine
Old 08-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Default A Few Thoughts

Hi Christine,
I'm new to this forum and I too have some multilevel cervical DDD. I have just a few thoughts while reading through this thread. When you feel up to it, I'm wondering if you'd be willing to post sometime what symptoms you are currently experiencing? Secondly, I see in your signature that you have four levels that are affected - does Dr Zigler feel that this 4th level could not be a pain generator? Since you are facing another very difficult surgery, shouldn't this level be addressed as well? And my last thought is that even though you can't afford to travel overseas, and I know you must be feeling incredibly exhausted by now, it might be helpful to sent your MRI and reports to one of the more experienced surgeons overseas just to get another expert opinion - like with Drs Boeree, Clavel, or Pimenta. There's probably some time left while your waiting for your insurance approval. I just want to make sure you're 100% comfortable with your decision.

Wishing you all the best,

MeggieLynn
*Tx's-PT, 2 ESI's Interlaminar & transforaminal, 2 SI Joint steroid injections, Failed LBB for SI Joint
Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Default great...

empire blue cross does NOT approve artifical discs at all and won't for several more years.....I have no idea how to fix my neck now...
Old 08-06-2011, 01:58 AM

Default been there...

Hello Christine,

Mine was denied by insurance as well. I am going to Dr. Nick Boeree in England for ADR 2 levels on 8/31. I am using my retirement acct to help me finance it. I don't know if that is an option for you, but I am determined that ADR is the better option for me than insurance approved 2 level fusion. I know you like Dr. Zigler, but there are also many experienced surgeons you can look into overseas that have been doing this surgery for years and it will cost much less than a US MD. That was my conclusion, at least. Just some thoughts for you....

Take Care
Love hiking, biking, anything outdoors. 2005 dx with cervical DDD and radiculopathy, given PT, NSAIDs. Back to regular lifestyle with very few problems until March 2011, hyper extension of neck created the "straw that broke camel's back". C5-6 and C6-7 herniation with compression of the spinal cord. Pain between shoulder blades and mild numbness down L>R arm. No conservative options-only surgery per NS x 3. S/P 2-level ADR surgery with Mr. Nick Boeree in England Aug 31, 2011.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Default Hi there

Lizard,
I am working with Dr. Zeegers again in hopes that Blue Cross Blue Shield worldwide will pay for one level at C5. I spoke with my case manager on Friday and he said this should work.
I have a feeling Empire blue cross will just leave me like this and I am NOT going to do a 2 level fusion, I so agree with you.
I am (of course) depleted financially since I have been injured and although have paid most of my medical copays....it's not great.
I pray your surgery goes well, and please let me know if you need anything.
Sincerely,
Christine
727-213-7228
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Default Hi Christine

Christine,
Thank you so much for the support. I really appreciate it, and will probably be taking you up on the call soon, as I am very nervous about my upcoming surgery!
I pray insurance pays for your surgery with Dr. Zeegers, and your BCBS Worldwide CM can sway it in your favor. You have been through a lot, and pain relief is not too much to ask!
Take care,
Nancy
Love hiking, biking, anything outdoors. 2005 dx with cervical DDD and radiculopathy, given PT, NSAIDs. Back to regular lifestyle with very few problems until March 2011, hyper extension of neck created the "straw that broke camel's back". C5-6 and C6-7 herniation with compression of the spinal cord. Pain between shoulder blades and mild numbness down L>R arm. No conservative options-only surgery per NS x 3. S/P 2-level ADR surgery with Mr. Nick Boeree in England Aug 31, 2011.