ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 PM

Unhappy Failed Discetomy and Foraminotomy

Dear All,

I recently found this community, and was overwhelmed by both the amount of people out there who I can relate to and the level of support members of this site provide to each other.

As a new member, this is my first 'introduction post' and like most, I'm scared as hell, trying to make sense of my current neck situation, as well as supporting other members by sharing my personal experience.

In October 2011 I had a Left C5-6 Discetomy and Foraminotomy surgical procedure done in hopes of relieving pain.

Unfortunately, this caused a weak disc to re-rupture, and now I must decide between having ADR or fusion done.

Surgeon #1: Recommends 1 layer (C5/6) ADR
Surgeon #2: Recommends double layer (c5/6-C6/7) Fusion
Surgeon #3: Recommends double layer ADR M6 in Germany

Not sure what to do. I am not pleased with the idea of having a double layer fusion being 30 years old, however, double layer ADR is not available in the US, and now I'm being told that double layer ADR may not relieve all of my pain for the facet joints, damaged soft tissue, and upset nerves will still be there. Fusion may relieve some of the pressure...

Has anyone out there experienced a failed discetomony and foraminotomy only to be faced with having a second surgery??

Below is a summary of medical history to present:

June 22, 2007 X-Ray Report:
Conclusion: Minimal narrowing of C5-6 Interspace and slight reversal of the cervical lordosis attributed to muscle Spasm intervertebral disc shows minimal degeneration

MRI Evaluations
September 18, 2009 MRI:
Minimal narrowing of C5-6 Interspace and slight reversal of the cervical lordosis attributed to muscle Spasm intervertebral disc shows minimal degeneration.
December 30, 2010 MRI:
C3-C4: There is a broad-based posterior osteophyte disc complex resulting in mild central canal stenosis
C5-C6: There is disc degeneration with mild disc height lost. There is a left paracentral disc protrusion osteophyte complex resulting in mild central canal stenosis with slight flattened deformity of the ventral aspect of the spinal cord
C6-C7: There is mild diffuse disc bulge but no significant compromise of the central canal or neural foramina

Summer 2011:
Begin intensive physical therapy in hopes of avoiding surgery

September 2, 2011 MRI:
Multilevel (c5/6, c6/7) degenerative disc disease with a moderate to large left paracentral and left foraminal encroachment, which appears new or increased significantly since prior study ** Results from this MRI lead me to have surgery in October.

October 11, 2011:
Left C5-6 Discetomy and Foraminotomy surgical procedure performed in hopes of relieving pain.

Winter 2011-Spring 2012:
Post-Op Physical Therapy 2-3 weekly

March 30, 2012 MRI:
NOTE: First MRI following October 11, 2011 surgery
C5-C6: There has been interval, left-sided laminectomy. There is persistent, left-sided, disc protrusion extending to the neural foramina and resulting in flattening of the ventral aspect of the spinal cord
C6-C7: There is stable shallow, central to right paracentral disc protrusion Conclusion: Status post left, C5 laminectomy. Persistent, left foraminal disc protrusion and stable, shallow, cenral C6-C7 disc protrusion

Current, April 2012:
Still experiencing pain for C5-6 has re-ruptured. Seeking medical opinions and advice on what to do next.

Surgeon #1: Recommends 1 layer (C5/6) ADR
Surgeon #2: Recommends double layer (c5/6-C6/7) Fusion
Surgeon #3: Recommends double layer ADR M6 in Germany
2011- Left c5/6 Discetomy & Foraminotomy
2012- MRI c5/6 Re-ruptured
Current- Evaluating surgical options, 1 layer ADR or double layer fusion (here in the US) or double layer ADR in Germany.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Question

Hi, sorry you are here, but thanks for posting. Just to clarify, multilevel disc replacement has been available in the United States for many years, it just may be that those posts are buried under the weight of topics (from the last few years) from people going oversees.

This is very transient community. Some people don't have good outcomes and they stick around for support. Most seem to do well and move on with their lives. Others just stop posting for various reasons. In case you have not seen my presentation to SAS members a few years ago, I present ADR surgical outcome results from this community:

Artificial Disc Replacement: The Patient's Perspective
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrMKQaICH6o

Back to the audience and patients that post here. Please see:

Important Reminder Regarding This Discussion Board
http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f44...on-board-8467/

To what event or process do you attribute your multlevel disc degeneration? This is an obvious but important question, since DDD is generally thought to have multifactorial causes, like trauma, disease, occupation, diet, etc.

Hope we can help!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM

Thanks for your response Harrison. Throughout my research, I have found multi layer ADR in the states for the lumbar region, but not for the cervical region. I have yet to find a surgeon in the states for double layer cervical ADR, however, perhaps I missed something.
2011- Left c5/6 Discetomy & Foraminotomy
2012- MRI c5/6 Re-ruptured
Current- Evaluating surgical options, 1 layer ADR or double layer fusion (here in the US) or double layer ADR in Germany.